Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
crowtheartist
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs down Engine Error: Could Not Load Library Client.

I saw this was a VERY common crash with Portal 2 on steam. I read part of the 130+ page thread here, but did anyone come up with a solution and/or does anyone know how to fix this?
I tried repairing the SteamService.exe, like the Support page told me, and it did nothing.

I'm running:
Windows 7 Home 64 bit.
AMD Vision Mobile
Radeon Card.
NOT an external modem.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Harry101
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Reputation: 1269
Posts: 2,417
Have you tried verifying the game files? (right click Portal 2, Properties, Local Files, Verify Game Cache) - this will search for and repair any damaged files.
Harry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
FusedCore
 
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 346
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtheartist View Post
I saw this was a VERY common crash with Portal 2 on steam. I read part of the 130+ page thread here, but did anyone come up with a solution and/or does anyone know how to fix this?
I tried repairing the SteamService.exe, like the Support page told me, and it did nothing.

I'm running:
Windows 7 Home 64 bit.
AMD Vision Mobile
Radeon Card.
NOT an external modem.
try this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7241-EYON-2343 and see if it works after you've done it.
FusedCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
FusedCore
 
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 346
Posts: 2,313
Also after searching your issue, Steam has already put up a page for it and here's the link Engine Error: Could not Load Library Client

Last edited by FusedCore: 05-17-2011 at 05:37 PM.
FusedCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
crowtheartist
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
"Also after searching your issue, Steam has already put up a page for it and here's the link Engine Error: Could not Load Library Client"
-Yep, this is the one I tried, but I'm about to the Client Registry one.
See if that works.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
FusedCore
 
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 346
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtheartist View Post
"Also after searching your issue, Steam has already put up a page for it and here's the link Engine Error: Could not Load Library Client"
-Yep, this is the one I tried, but I'm about to the Client Registry one.
See if that works.
they also posted this at the bottem:
Quote:
PC Tools Spyware Doctor
PC Tools Spyware Doctor is known to cause this issue. Please see Programs Which May Interfere with Steam for more information on resolving this issue.
are you running anything that might interfere with steam?
FusedCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
crowtheartist
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusedCore View Post
they also posted this at the bottem:

are you running anything that might interfere with steam?
Nope. Steam runs fine. I don't know if it's irrelevant, but Portal 1 works like a charm. So, I know I can play games off of Steam no problem.

Tried the Registry fix by the way....NOTHING?
Any other ideas? Anybody who had this problem and fixed it? Or heard of someone who had it and fixed it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
FusedCore
 
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 346
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtheartist View Post
Nope. Steam runs fine. I don't know if it's irrelevant, but Portal 1 works like a charm. So, I know I can play games off of Steam no problem.

Tried the Registry fix by the way....NOTHING?
Any other ideas? Anybody who had this problem and fixed it? Or heard of someone who had it and fixed it?
Write a new ticket with what your issue is and what you've tried.

Good Luck

-FusedCore
FusedCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
crowtheartist
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry101 View Post
Have you tried verifying the game files? (right click Portal 2, Properties, Local Files, Verify Game Cache) - this will search for and repair any damaged files.
I don't know if this is what did it, but it was the last thing I tried, and now it's working.

The problem was it wouldn't let me Check on the Cache because the Authoring Tools was open, and the only way to close them was to open the task manager and completely close Portal2.exe altogether. Once I did that, I checked on the cache and it said I had 2 errors so, I defraged and checked again, and it fixed one of them but still had one of them. So, I tried starting the game like that, and surely enough, it worked.
Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated.
The enrichment center thanks you for your assistance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
lee1davis1
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 11
This solved my problem...I installed the new Authorizing Tools-Beta and it caused my game not to work.

After validating the integrity of the game cache (which took some time) it fixed the problem and now both the new tool and Portal 2 work great.

Thanks Harry101 for this fix.
lee1davis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Mr_Hyde982
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Excuse me for being a total noob here, but I have been encountering the same problem, and I guess I need someone to be a bit more specific on this verifying the game files solution.

I'm just wondering where exactly do you go once you have the Properties window open?

(I've tried everything else that has been suggested, with no results).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Seph64
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Reputation: 1167
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hyde982 View Post
Excuse me for being a total noob here, but I have been encountering the same problem, and I guess I need someone to be a bit more specific on this verifying the game files solution.

I'm just wondering where exactly do you go once you have the Properties window open?

(I've tried everything else that has been suggested, with no results).
Once on the properties window for Portal 2, you click on the Local Files tab, and there should be a button for "Verify Game Cache". This is what you are looking for.

I had this same issue with this game with installing the Portal 2 Authoring Tools. Had to verify the cache to fix the problem.
Seph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
Mr_Hyde982
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks a bunch. Now it's running great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #14
Seph64
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Reputation: 1167
Posts: 2,094
You are very welcome.
Seph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.