Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Old 05-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Genk

What is SSAO and Ubersampling and....

why does it increase FPS so much if you disable them - particularly ubersampling which makes the game unplayable if I enable it. Disabling SSAO increases FPS by about 10-15 or so and makes the game more stable/less skipping. What is SSAO? Ubersampling? Does it make a huge diff if u have them disabled on the visual quality?

I dont even bother trying to enable ubersampling but Im not sure about SSAO- I enable/disable and I think I notice some quality difference but its not obviously apparent to me at least. Im wondering if its worth paying 200 dollars to upgrade my GTX280 which is still almost as powerfull as a GTX560 or not.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Corvin666

SSAO: wiki has the answer

Also, check out this image http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...arSky_SSAO.gif

Shortly - it adds shadows to the scene in the places that are not directly obscured by something, but should have less light (think of an armpit).

Ubersampling - answer from another forum - "When ubersampling is enabled The Witcher 2 will render every frame several times and than re-interperate them into one frame. The most noticable difference is that textures will be a bit smoother and have a bit less noise."

A feature designed to be run by next generation PCs. Don't fret if your 580GTX only crunches 10 fps with it turned on.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Mouseraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genk View Post
why does it increase FPS so much if you disable them - particularly ubersampling which makes the game unplayable if I enable it. Disabling SSAO increases FPS by about 10-15 or so and makes the game more stable/less skipping. What is SSAO? Ubersampling? Does it make a huge diff if u have them disabled on the visual quality?

I dont even bother trying to enable ubersampling but Im not sure about SSAO- I enable/disable and I think I notice some quality difference but its not obviously apparent to me at least. Im wondering if its worth paying 200 dollars to upgrade my GTX280 which is still almost as powerfull as a GTX560 or not.
SSAO simulates shadows by making a black glow around objects depending on the depth difference to the background.
I would personally disable it if the fps drops below 40.

Last edited by Mouseraider: 05-18-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Mouseraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Respiratoryguy

With ubersampling it is very dependent on resolution. I use a lower resolution ( 720p ) so that I can crank up all the other settings on my GTX 570 and ubersampling does make a big difference. It just cleans up the image quality , more noticeable in game than in screenshots for certain. Overall gorgeous game !
Respiratoryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
HellFlyer

Meh I have GTX 480 and with ubersampling enabled I get 30-40 FPS besides Nvidia will get drivers optimized for this game. When DA 2 came out it was the same thing. Just be patient
HellFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
05ekwong

5870 running both no probs
Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Devilbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ekwong View Post
No offense mate but I find that extremely hard to believe. Or then you have much of the other visual options not maxed out and/or are running in lower resolution

I have i7 2600k, 8Gb DDR3@2000MHz, and a Geforce GTX 580 Twin ForzrII OC (1,5 gigs mem, DDR5), and I can run game perfectly smooth at 1920x1200 resolution everything enabled and maxed IF I do not have uber sampling on. If I turn it on, I get frames at worst to under 15 in the opening cinematic. If I drop resolution to 1440x900 then I can run everything maxed and enabled and with uber sampling on no probs and with high enough frames to FRAPS it too and not get framelag.

Rather demanding game.

Oh and I also have pretty much every optional enhancement on from the nVidia control panel as well, only thing not maxed out is transparency AA (or whatever it is called in English), that I have on only at x2 super sampling. Had to lower it for Stalker Call of Pripyat so frames won't noticeably go below 30 everything maxed out and FRAPS running

Last edited by Devilbound: 06-16-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Devilbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
DarkJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilbound View Post
I can run game perfectly smooth at 1920x1200 resolution
He could be running the game perfectly smooth at 1280x720.
DarkJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
thegazelle6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvin666 View Post
re-interperate
Reading that hurt....
thegazelle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Devilbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJeff View Post
He could be running the game perfectly smooth at 1280x720.
Yup. That's why I said "or/and run in lower resolution". Was wondering, would be interesting to know actually, what resolution he is running the game in with uber sampling and managing with the 5*** ATI.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
targetbsp

I'm pretty sure SSAO only exists because video cards had got fast enough that they needed a new feature to slow them down and sell us new ones again.
I can't tell a difference between it on and off except in my frame rates.
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #12
Devilbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetbsp View Post
I'm pretty sure SSAO only exists because video cards had got fast enough that they needed a new feature to slow them down and sell us new ones again.
Hehehehe

Well, in some games it is more accented than others. The effect it does is very soft shadows, it is very subtle, but if you know where to look it is pretty nice add-on, it does add quite a bit of depth and softness. Haven't played this game without, but in some games it adds to character shadows (adding a soft shadow at the base of feet for example), bases of grass and bushes etc.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
OurSacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ekwong View Post
I don't believe you. I have a 5870 as well, and ubersampling is simply too much for that single card to handle if you're running with everything else turned on.
OurSacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
thegazelle6

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetbsp View Post
It's not as noticeable once the game is fully textured and the lights are all being rendered, but if you do a google image search of it, you should find a bunch of images of scenes where the geometry is rendered with just the SSAO (no textures or anything else). That should give you an idea what it does.

It's a very subtle effect, and it's more pronounced in some games than in others, it's one of those things that if you can handle it, there's really no reason not to put it on.
thegazelle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
targetbsp

Yeah I know what it does, I just think it's effect is so subtle as to not be worth it. I can see it in a side by side comparison. Whilst I'm focusing on playing the game though, I can't tell the difference between it on or off. And it is a MASSIVE framerate hit for such a subtle effect so I prefer the FPS.

It was frankly years before I adopted AA for the same reason. It makes still frames look obviously better. But I'm rarely stationary in a game so I don't care. In fact, I only started using AA because it stops stairs in games from flickering.

I do swear by AF though. That one is essential!

Last edited by targetbsp: 06-17-2011 at 09:06 AM.
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The