Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
madrang

Linux Thread

With Steam now available on Mac OSX, the GNU/Linux community is now eager to see a native client. This thread is for those of us who wish to express our desire for such a client and to discuss GNU/Linux gaming in general.

TROLLS BE WARNED: We will not hesitate to report any of this nonsense on sight, and we have had the support of the forum staff for this thread for over a year. Do not waste your time here.

First, let's take care of some myths...

Myth: Steam will never come to Linux!
Fact: Steam for Linux has already been announced, along with a native port of Left 4 Dead 2 and more games to come! You can keep track of Valve's progress on the Valve Linux Blog.

Myth: Nobody uses Linux!
Fact: Millions of people use it, it's just not the several hundred million users that Windows has.

Myth: There are no games for Linux!
Fact: flibitijibibo has taken the liberty of creating a wiki to disprove this in the case of Steam games. Check out The Big List of Steam Games on GNU/Linux!

Myth: Nobody plays games with Linux!
Fact: We have not only proven that we care about games with projects like Wine, but we have also demonstrated that we buy more games/pay more for games than the typical Windows/OSX user in every single Humble Indie Bundle.

Myth: Supporting Linux isn't worth it!
Fact: Not only has the Humble Bundle shown otherwise, but other developers have seen this too. Check this post by the developers of Osmos, this post by the developer of Mystic Mine, and this post by the developers of World of Goo.

Myth: Supporting all the Linux distributions is too hard!
Fact: We have POSIX for a reason. While packaging tends to suck (.deb, .rpm, etc.), this largely does not affect games. Games can be installed with a simple and (mostly) universal .run binary file that installs the game's binaries and content in a single folder, and the necessary libraries (such as OpenAL) can typically be installed from the distribution's repositories. This has been seen primarily with id Software's games, as well as several games in the Humble Indie Bundles.

In fact, even a .run file would be largely irrelevant for Steam games. Steam itself could be installed with a .run and the games would simply be downloaded just like they do now. It's the equivalent of .tar.gz packed games, which are compatible with all maintained distributions.

As for actually developing the games on the platform, it's not any harder than supporting the Mac. In fact, if you use some of the newer features of OpenGL (such as tessellation in OpenGL 4), supporting Linux is actually easier than supporting OSX.

Myth: Linux hardware support is garbage!
Fact: As of 2011 this is now limited to wireless drivers and more esoteric, outdated hardware. Even graphics card drivers are now up to speed, even if they are generally proprietary software.

Myth: Wine sucks!
Fact: Wine... well, yeah, it kind of does. That's why we would like native support, see?

Myth: You shouldn't use Linux for games, just use Windows like everyone else.
Fact: Hey, wait, that's not a myth! That's just a bad suggestion!

Not only do GNU/Linux users just prefer the OS over Windows, but in some cases Windows is just too expensive, particularly if you do not live in the United States. We feel that we should not be forced to purchase an operating system to play games, especially when we could be putting that money towards more games...

So! With that now out of the way, here are some links and resources...

We want Linux client!, a Steam group for GNU/Linux gamers.
The Big List of Steam Games on GNU/Linux, a wiki that lists native games as well as lists of games compatible with Wine according to...
The Wine AppDB, the official database for Wine program compatibility.
The Humble Indie Bundle, probably the biggest public support for Linux games there is right now.
Desura, a client for distribution of games (like Steam).

Thanks to...

flying sheep, for Steam4Linux Answers
flibitijibibo, for The Big List of Steam Games on GNU/Linux

Last edited by madrang: 08-13-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added new info
Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
airblad3

Hopefully Valve will give us an official Linux release in the near future.
airblad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
flibitijibibo

I'll be brutally honest. In attempting to clean up the current OP, I had to stop not just because of all the mechanical errors, but because it A: does not cover everything, B: is too difficult to read, and C: wastes LOTS of space pointing out things that most people already know (security is the big one). While citing articles is good, there are just way too many and people will get distracted, stop reading, and either just leave or post hatespam. The facts are much shorter than the quotes.

I tried merging the new stuff in it with my old one, here's what I got:

EDIT: The OP is now what was here, neat! Thanks madrang!

Cut it from here to prevent wall o' text.

Last edited by flibitijibibo: 05-19-2011 at 08:14 PM.
flibitijibibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Sir_Brizz

I actually like the Myth/Fact format a lot.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
flibitijibibo

Just got told that the OP has been updated. And it is!

Check out the new OP if you haven't already and feel free to rip it apart.

Edit: Also, just for giggles, I contact Humble Bundle Inc. to see if they have any stats for who redeemed Steam/Desura keys. I'm very curious to see if there's any notable percentage of Linux users that grabbed those keys.
flibitijibibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Midnitte1

Quote:
Originally Posted by airblad3 View Post
Hopefully Valve will give us an official Linux release in the near future.
Hope so... then we can demand an android version!
Midnitte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
RobbieThe1st

While I'll be happy with a bog-standard x86-compatible Linux Steam version, it seems like these days code should be made using platform-independant/processor-independant code, so that, for example, the Linux Steam client can be compiled for x86, Amd64 and ARM all without any modifications - Whenever a new platform comes out, it'd be nice to see an (unsupported) version for it.
That's the one thing that OSS has over most all other platforms currently - I can get a version of Debian for ARM or what-have-you that's functionally identical to the x86 or Amd64 versions, and allows me to run any and all OSS software on it.

Now, if we /did/ have a few different versions of a Steam Linux client for ARM etc, it'd be trivial to make them run on Android, Maemo, MeeGo or even iOS(with a lot more support libraries): It'd simply require someone to build a wrapper(and install)-script for the OS in question, and it'd probably work. In some cases, it'd need extra bits, but that's not a huge problem. Games, well... you'd have to find ones that were platform-compatible. Again, it'd be nice if Valve had some sort of Unified Build Archetecture, so all games they have the source to could be compiled for almost all platforms.

Too bad that'll /never/ happen... Oh well.
RobbieThe1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
midget_3111

I really hope we do get a client in the next year...
There is a load of evidence that they have been working on one, so fingers crossed!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Ronlaen

Always kept up with the old linux post and glad to see it get a refresh. Like the condensed information at the top, keep fighting the good fight!
Ronlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
layzergun

The old one was starting to get a little bit too big anyway.
layzergun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
michael89

Banned
Stop having so many versions of linux.
THEN we can talk more.
michael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Temar

I hope the threads get merged. Otherwise it will take a while until we are back at 5500 posts :-)
Temar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
scheka

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael89 View Post
Stop having so many versions of linux.
THEN we can talk more.
choose whatever distro (version lol) you like and then you dont have to care about other distros
scheka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Whinis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheka View Post
choose whatever distro (version lol) you like and then you dont have to care about other distros
While there are many distros they all use the same installers just a different method of using the installer. Its like do you want to download in zip, rar, 7z or tar.gz. All of them are compression however each does it a little differently and no matter how you store it the stuff inside is all the same.
Whinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
code93

goooo steam linux !!
code93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion