Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
trojanrabbit.gg

Exclamation Steam just deleted ALL of my games!

So I just logged onto my steam account and was greeted with the "Steam is updating" menu. It popped up with a message saying it failed to obtain a file or something (the popup went away rather fast after Steam crashed). So I thought nothing of it, and restarted Steam thinking it was just a hiccup or something. The window pops up again and updates fine. But then I go to my Steam library to find that all of my games are no longer actively installed. I went into my Steam Apps folder and found that it was completely empty!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, on a side note... this might be linked with my inability to access the Store/News/Community without steam crashing... (an error that I still have yet to resolve)
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
uniguy

I think the last error is something lots of people have, but steam deleting your games... thats unheard of. I guess there is nothing else to do than try to redownload them again. But make sure you backup the steam apps folder if this tries to happen again.
uniguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
pokedex2536

Steam deleted day of defeat source twice for me once, don't really care though.
pokedex2536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
FгедкѕнФш

I remember reading about this before, sadly there isn't anything you can do I wonder if a system restore to a few days earlier would un-delete your games?
FгедкѕнФш is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
trojanrabbit.gg

I'm currently experimenting if this has anything to do with the hard drive that I am using. This never happened to me before when I was using my old 250 GB drive. Now that I have steam installed on a TB hard drive, these errors are occurring more and more frequently. I am currently trying to hook up my 500 GB drive and instal Steam on that one just to see if these errors are local to a specific drive or not...
trojanrabbit.gg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Washell

This should help recover it all.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Protoss

Download a tool to test your HD. This kind of errors (deleted files) could be a first sign of an upcoming crash. Are you sure the files are really deleted and it is not just a Steam setting gone wrong? In the latter case, "redownloading" the files would mainly be a validation of them without much actual download. You still need to go through the prereqs again...
Protoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips