Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Sikk Twizted

Ultimate Steam FAIL

Alright so my friend recently got his account locked because his dad charge backed one of his purchases, not realizing that his son bought it with his money and that it would completely lock his account.

First fail is immediately easy to see, you lock a whole account for a charge back, really? You really honestly can't just remove that game from some ones account? Specially since this case is an accident and no bad intentions were meant. I hope you guys have the heart to actually answer his support ticket and give his hundreds of dollars worth of back. He had another account locked back a while for something that he never got a clear answer too because support NEVER answered him.

The second fail is removing all the games that have been gifted to everyone. Why would you do that? Do you honestly want to jarate people off? He legit bought me Borderlands with his money, and a bunch of other games for other people, and because an accident occurred, you are going to remove ALL of his games and ALL of the games he gifted to people? move, really move.

Sorry, but I really felt the need to share this, that's that pushes customers away man. I enjoy Steam and the service it offers, but when you guys pull like this, it's not cool. I'd suggest you fix that system.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
T@F

And how would they fix it?

If they just took the game away,what to stop ppl trying credit fraud all the time to get free games.
Also he should have told his dad that he bought a game,it would have saved all this hassle for him.

Also removing the gifts ppl got,well of course they are going to do that if they did not get paid for them gifts,just be lucky they did not close your account as well.

Valve does have there faults,but i do agree with shutting down there account if ppl do a charge back,until they get there payment again.
Otherwise ppl will be buying games,after a few days or completed it,do a charge back,buy the next game do the same again.

Last edited by T@F: 05-26-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Sikk Twizted

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@F View Post
And how would they fix it?

If they took the game away,what to stop ppl trying credit fraud all the time to get free games.
Also he should have told his dad that he bought a game,it would have saved all this hassle for him.
I explained it clearly, you just remove the game from them. That solves the problem of them getting a free game. They clearly have enough time to lock a whole account, so why not just remove the game instead. What you said doesn't make much since.

Also his dad forgot about it and wasn't sure what the charge was, it was actually my friends money in the first place, he just has to use it through his parents.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Vonje

How is it even possible to get the money back? When you've paid Valve, isn't the money supposed to fully belong to them?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Sikk Twizted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonje View Post
How is it even possible to get the money back? When you've paid Valve, isn't the money supposed to fully belong to them?
No, you can charge back if you go through Paypal, and you can get your money back. Basically retakes the money.

Edit: It's for like if you get scammed or something.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
T@F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikk Twizted View Post
I explained it clearly, you just remove the game from them. That solves the problem of them getting a free game. They clearly have enough time to lock a whole account, so why not just remove the game instead. What you said doesn't make much since.

Also his dad forgot about it and wasn't sure what the charge was, it was actually my friends money in the first place, he just has to use it through his parents.
Also read the part where ppl will buy the games,complete them within a few days then do a charge back,buy another game.
I still stand by what valve does here.

Also that's not valves fault the guy did not communicate with his dad.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Gone'Postal

Banned
Or you want to commit fraud.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
Sikk Twizted

Quote:
Also read the part where ppl will buy the games,complete them within a few days then do a charge back,buy another game.

That's what torrents are for you moron lol. For a first offense, lock an account for hundreds of dollars worth of games, no not fair. Maybe for multiple charge backs, but for one? No

You wouldn't stand by it if it happened to you.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
NiteHyeway

Quote:

Yes, but disabling all the games you've gifted is overkill.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
CTRL ALT DEL !

Removing the gifted games is fine if he paid for them with that chargeback.

But if he gifted games prior to that then that really sucks and this process should cease and desist.

I have been gifted and gifted many people games because they didn't have a way to pay and if I do something stupid and charge back they all loose those games? I could see this being abused by angry brothers/sister/x's etc.. especially if they gifted all thier games to them and know about this.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Sikk Twizted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRL ALT DEL ! View Post
Removing the gifted games is fine if he paid for them with that chargeback.

But if he gifted games prior to that then that really sucks and this process should cease and desist.

I have been gifted and gifted many people games because they didn't have a way to pay and if I do something stupid and charge back they all loose those games? I could see this being abused by angry brothers/sister/x's etc.. especially if they gifted all thier games to them and know about this.
Yeah he bought all of his other with no problem, this was just one charge back that was a mistake, and they locked his whole account and removed ALL the games he gifted to everyone.

It was about 400-500 dollars worth of games.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #12
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Yeah he bought all of his other with no problem, this was just one charge back that was a mistake, and they locked his whole account and removed ALL the games he gifted to everyone.

It was about 400-500 dollars worth of games.
So the games were not gifted with the funds charged back then?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
Sikk Twizted

Quote:
So the games were not gifted with the funds charged back then?
No, EVERY GAME he bought before that point was paid for in full.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
No, EVERY GAME he bought before that point was paid for in full.
They need to change that, once a gift is paid for and gifted it shouldn't be revoked unless the funds are revoked for that purchase.

Thats as good as stealing in my eyes.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #15
Sikk Twizted

Quote:
They need to change that, once a gift is paid for and gifted it shouldn't be revoked unless the funds are revoked for that purchase.

Thats as good as stealing in my eyes.
Yeah I agree, it's really bull, I seriously hope he gets all those games back, or at least refunded for it. This is the second time they've locked his whole account for something. The first time I'm not sure what happened, but they locked his account and removed all the gifted games he gave to people. They wouldn't respond to his ticket, and he eventually just gave up on it.

This is his second account, his first one had an easy 1000 dollars on it.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion