Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
CTRL ALT DEL !

Post A list of what is allowed VAC game modifications.

If you want to know if a game mod is allowed or not by VAC ask here and we can discuss it in detail.

There have been many threads made asking about individual mods what is allowed and what isn't and what shouldn't be.

This thread is to link together the answer to many questions into one place and to give the best answers quicky.

If you wish to help please post your knowledge in this thread.

If anything is wrong here please point it out.

About VAC bans

How many banned?

Games with VAC (you can't be VAC banned for games that don't use VAC)

The full updated list of VAC enabled games. *there are 2 pages

Protected games include.
  • All Source 2004-2007 multiplayer Source mods
  • All Multiplayer mods of VAC enabled games

Ban effected gamesOK with VAC
  • Using console commands *(not if a console enabler is required to get a console)
  • Editing config files
  • Using steam on a usb drive
  • Deleting any files in the steam folder (if they are required they will be redownloaded)
  • Modifications to dedicated servers will not cause a client ban in any game.

Using these programs has not been known to cause bans.
  • P2P file sharing programs themselves don't cause bans (what you download with them can get your account highjacked/banned/disabled eg. keyloggers/cheats/cracked valve games)
  • Hamachi
  • nVidia or Ati control panel (any feature)
  • GCFScape
  • Xfire
  • Xpadder
  • EVGA Precision
  • f.lux
  • media players, foobar, itunes etc..
  • HLSW
  • HLDJ
  • HLSS
  • Mousotron (keystroke counter)
  • Macro's (g9/g15/g19/AutoHotKey etc)
  • AutoHotKey's is not liked by Punkbuster fix
  • Netlimiter (can cause connection issues)
  • AntiVirus and firewall programs.
  • Mumble, Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Messanger
  • Fraps, screenshot tools
  • Mirillis Action Recorder
  • Dxtory
  • GameBooster
  • RivaTuner
  • MSI Afterburner
  • iZ3D
  • Nvidia 3D
  • Novint Falcon F-gen drivers
  • SWTH (SoftWareTripleHead)
  • Raptr
  • WeGame
  • DS3_Tool (ps3 controller driver)
  • Imingame (changes MSN status to ingame)
  • Garena (gamearena app)
  • Universal redirector 1.1 Allows game installation to anywhere you like. Easy to use, I have used this tool.
  • All Abode programs
  • All Microsoft programs
  • All manufacturer preinstalled programs
  • XBOX 360 Controller emulator that replaces xinput1_3.dll in L4D2
    Link
Source Games:

• With Source games you can use any skin *(don't use an installer exe) but they may not work in all servers as sv_pure settings restrict modifications.
  • You can replaces sound files *(you may be blocked from some servers or your sounds may not work)
  • You can run Source games under wine on Linux
  • Client side plugins (source mod, lua sripts etc..) can be used but may require -insecure on servers to use them if they aren't signed by Valve.
  • Any console cheat can be used if the server has sv_cheats 1 set.
  • You can modify any file other than dll and exe files (vpk's are ok to edit)

Modern Warfare Series
  • Using skins in MW VAC games by modifying iwd files is not bannable. If you replace textures by yourself, it's safe.
  • New Game Materials can not contain modifications to any COM, EXE or DLL files or to any other executable Product files.
  • Use downloaded files at your own risk, use trusted sites / users only
Modern Warfare 3:
Tested by EliteTemptation and no bans.
Note: there is no sv_pure 2 or similar setting for MW VAC games to prevent the use of skins in any game, leaving the entire series open to unbannable cheating. This should be fixed so that unmodified iwd files can be enforced from the lobby / server cfg. If this can be set in any MW VAC game and I missed it please let me know.

I am not saying this so people will cheat, but so that the companies responsible might be embarrassed into fixing it and giving us options or at least add a vote kick to the game.

NOT OK with VAC
  • Using an application to modify the game
  • Changing game dll and exe files
  • Mods that contain DLL and EXE files are unsafe
  • Running a memory editor
  • Disabling VAC with 3rd party tools or modifactions to Steam.exe
  • Bypass VAC
  • sXe (injected anticheat made to block cheats in unsecure servers) Do no use if you are not VAC banned already.
  • The opengl32.dll that gives bloom to hl1 games
  • Using any downloaded Cheat from any cheatsite for a VAC game. (cheats for non VAC games running while playing a VAC game is likely to get your account banned)

UNKNOWN
[*]Using the Paranoia Mod, Cry of Fear Mod, Half-Life FX Single and Half-Life FX Lost in Black Mesa (contain modified opengl32.dll) The modified opengl32.dll must be deleted or otherwise removed before playing secure games with golden source (HL) engine or you will get banned. (moved from not ok) It seems this dll was mistaken as causing bans when it was a seperate dll that allows bloom in HL1 engine that causes the ban.

Use at own risk still till I confirm this myself with testing, but I am sure it's ok.

Other
  • Running a modified Steam client executable (potentially account disabled)
  • Selling/Hiring your account (account disabled)
  • Playing a VAC game after playing a singleplayer game with cheats can result in a VAC ban, it is wise to reboot your computer to make sure it isn't running.

Valve approved Steam Tools

GameNanny a tool made by wlbeattie, allows previously unheard of account controls.

*more comming soon* *please feel free to ask questions that aren't answered here*

Credits for added info include but are not limited to egor1908, Mangr0v3, _asm, EliteTemptation, Lostie and others in this thread and elsewhere.

NOTE: This post is duplicated in SPUD (steam discussions)

Last edited by CTRL ALT DEL !: 09-05-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
CTRL ALT DEL !

Allowed Cheats that will never trigger a ban.

Using console cheats in a source VAC server with sv_cheats 1 turned on allows all players in the server to use console cheats of any kind.

It is best to have a server password protected with only trusted players in the server before using sv_cheats 1 as you can use console to take control of a server if sv_cheats 1 is on.

Having said that, having sv_cheat 1 on allows for some fun game variations especially for inexperienced players to be given an advantage. Lan parties are best for sv_cheats as you can see if anyone is abusing them.

Console commands for source engine, all commands can be used in console even if sv_cheats are turned off, but those that are considered cheats are blocked when sv_cheats 0 is set on the server.

Cheating and SV_PURE

Playing in server with sv_pure 2 settings stops some cheating that is not ban-able by VAC. To be able to use all skins in a server you must allow sv_pure 0, this also allows material cheats to be used on the server (Admins in these servers often server ban for using obvious material cheats)
More about sv_pure from Valve.

If you wish to play with skins, it is advised to find well administered sv_pure 0 servers to play on, otherwise I recommend only playing on sv_pure 2 servers to minimise the number of cheats you encounter.

The MW series allows modification of skins in the iwd files, the is not setting in the lobbies or servers to prevent the use of skins. This is a huge oversight on there part.

* if you know of any allowed cheats (not undetected cheats) for other engines that use vac, please post them in the thread and I will update them here.

Last edited by CTRL ALT DEL !: 07-26-2012 at 07:57 PM.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
CTRL ALT DEL !

If you are considering using a modification that isn't verified as being OK with VAC.

Please consider buying that game on a separate account so that your main account is not compromised with a ban.

After using such a mod and not getting a ban within 3 months, please report that modification in this thread as being verified as OK.

The only way we can know what is and isn't ok is buy user testing, this means that some people who are banned were in no way intending to cheat, though some "improvement mods" do make things easier or better or enhances the game for the user, many are not considered cheats.

We as users test modifications often without even considering there may be a risk, those of most risk contain dll's, exe's, injectors and installers (most of which do cause bans).

Last edited by CTRL ALT DEL !: 06-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
Cp6uja_

Maybe you should make:

OK with VAC

OK but can be kicked

Not OK with VAC
Old 05-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #5
egor1908

Using skins in MW2 by modifying iwd files is not bannable. If you replace textures by yourself, it's safe.

I don't know about Black Ops, the server wont let you join, it checks for consistency. Some people claimed it bans for skins, but we don't know what else they used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja_ View Post
OK but can be kicked
VAC does not kick.

Last edited by egor1908: 05-28-2011 at 03:42 AM.
egor1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
Ghost1138

Add to Not Ok:
Running a modified Steam client

Last edited by Ghost1138: 05-27-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Ghost1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
egor1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1138 View Post
Having pirated games.
Really? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRL ALT DEL ! View Post
can be used but may require -secure on servers to use them if they aren't signed by Valve.
NO, the client requires -insecure to load the plugins (in some games, like l4d2), but then you wont be able to join VAC protected servers.

You should also add, that if people have cheated, they don't have to tell their stories. Their account is their responibility, and valve can see the exact details of your ban, so your "I just overclocked my video card" stories will not help.

Hijacked account which are flagged for cheating will not be unbanned too.

Last edited by egor1908: 05-27-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #8
Ghost1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by egor1908 View Post
Really? I think not.
Why not?

Last edited by Ghost1138: 05-27-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #9
egor1908

Quote:
If you have pirated(hacked,illegal) Steam games and VAC detects it your account will be permanently disabled(bye bye games)
And how should VAC detect it?
This is a common myth, believe me.
There've been some accounts disabled when CoD released, but because some people were stupid enough to use their REAL accounts to log into MODIFIED STEAM client.

VAC does not ban for pirated games and cracks, unless you use modified steam clients, but then your account will be disabled, not banned. Or unless you do something stupid, i will not mention what exactly, i will leave it to you.

Stop discussing this topic, it's not allowed to discuss pirated games here.

Last edited by egor1908: 10-15-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #10
egor1908

Quote:
They CAN detect it, don't ask me how.
Stop acting stupid, read my updated post again and stop discussing pirated games.
The fact is, they don't VAC ban you for this.

CTRL ALT DEL !
Please update the topic accoriding to the new information i posted.
You should also make a chapter about what will get your account permanently/temporarily disabled.

And make it more eye-friendly.

Last edited by egor1908: 05-27-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #11
Ghost1138

Quote:
Stop acting stupid, read my updated post again and stop discussing pirated games.
The fact is, they don't VAC ban you for this.
You don't have to be so rude

Deleted the references.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
Slayer00

Maybe change "Disable VAC" into "Disabling VAC with 3rd party tools or modifactions to Steam.exe", now its easy to confuse the real ways to disable VAC to that (-insecure).

Add all overlay 3rd party applications to the list, such as Xfire, TS3 overlay and so on..
Add all server-side applications and server side edits too (not including CoD games)
Slayer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #13
L.o.D.

Quote:
Add to Not Ok:
Running a modified Steam client
Considering the fact that VAC is only activated when connected to a secure server, this won't happen.
But Valve have ways of finding out if you are using one.

Same goes with "bad" games. VAC has nothing to do with them.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
themires

Banned
Quote:
Using skins in MW2 by modifying iwd files is not bannable. If you replace textures by yourself, it's safe.

I don't know about Black Ops, the server wont let you join, it checks for consistency. Some people claimed it bans for skins, but we don't know what else they used.
Modern Warfare®2 manual

YOU SHALL NOT:

• Reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works of this Program, in whole
or in part.
• Remove, disable or circumvent any proprietary notices or labels contained on or within the Program.
• Hack or modify (or attempt to modify or hack) the Program, or create, develop, modify, distribute or use any software
programs, in order to gain (or allow others to gain) advantage of this Program in any on-line multiplayer game settings
including but not limited to local area network or any other network play or on the internet.
• Export or re-export this Program or any copy or adaptation in violation of any applicable laws or regulations.
• New Game Materials shall not contain modifications to any COM, EXE or DLL files or to any other executable Product files.

Last edited by themires: 05-27-2011 at 08:52 AM.
themires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
egor1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by themires View Post
i belive

"Any modifications to the game other than editing config files can result in a VAC ban."
And i don't, because i know.

Just an addition, can =/= will.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion