Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Brothers in Arms series

Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
ChucklesFTW

Official and Unrequested "Is it worth it?" thread.

Yes. It is.

Buy the whole pack.

The high quality and unique gameplay of this series is the reason I was disappointed with Gearbox's less inspired follow-up, Borderlands.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Hcw87

Is this true for Vista 64 users (or 64 bit users in general) aswell? Last time i asked, there were problems running these games on Vista.

EDIT: Only Hell's Highway supports Vista according to the gamepage aswell.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
mkaliaz

Well, thanks very much then. That made my decision easy. I will trust in your recommendations and just bought the whole pack. Plus it looked liked all the games had very solid metacritic ratings!
mkaliaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
drivebyhobo

I recently went down to JnR and purchased BIA Hells Highway from their value software section and i was highly disappointed. The multiplayer is complete garbage. Believe me it sucks. The SP seems like a clone of Band of Brothers and the like. The squad command is SP is kinda fun though. There is an annoying film grain effect that you can't disable and really doesn't fit with the game. My experience with Brothers in arms hells highway is why i fear for Duke Nukem Forever sucking.

Last edited by drivebyhobo: 05-27-2011 at 12:38 PM.
drivebyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Jeshibu

I have these games in retail form but won't install the first two on this computer for fear of Starforce ruining my DVD drive.
Is it still true that Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood won't run on Windows 7 64 bit, or has that been fixed (or is there a workaround)?
Jeshibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Slinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
I have these games in retail form but won't install the first two on this computer for fear of Starforce ruining my DVD drive.
Is it still true that Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood won't run on Windows 7 64 bit, or has that been fixed (or is there a workaround)?
One of my friends can run it fine, but maybe that's just his computer.
Slinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Niscimble

The first two games are a little dated now, but the atmosphere and the mechanics of the gameplay are still solid. Hells Highway is kind of mediocre compared to the others.
Niscimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
s1nfull_ind33d

How active is the multiplayer community these days?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
-B.A.Frayd-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcw87 View Post
Is this true for Vista 64 users (or 64 bit users in general) aswell? Last time i asked, there were problems running these games on Vista.

EDIT: Only Hell's Highway supports Vista according to the gamepage aswell.
I played all three on Vista 64 bit.
-B.A.Frayd- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
colorado

The retail versions of the first two games in the series will not work on Vista or Win7 simply because their DRM isn't compatible. However, the steam versions of these games are DRM free so they work fine.
colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #11
Jeshibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado View Post
The retail versions of the first two games in the series will not work on Vista or Win7 simply because their DRM isn't compatible. However, the steam versions of these games are DRM free so they work fine.
Yeah, I caved in and got them, and so far Road to Hill 30 seems to work perfectly on Win7 64 bit.

This should be fixed in the game's store page. Should I open a Steam support ticket, or is there some other avenue of communication they prefer for this?
Jeshibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
Yeah, I caved in and got them, and so far Road to Hill 30 seems to work perfectly on Win7 64 bit.

This should be fixed in the game's store page. Should I open a Steam support ticket, or is there some other avenue of communication they prefer for this?
Steam usually goes by what the publisher's recommend. While the game might work on newer systems they weren't specifically designed/tested on these systems, so I doubt Steam wants to deal with the hassle of having to support them if they were to officially claim on the store page that they work on Vista/Win7. Lots of games that steam says only support Win XP will work just fine on Win 7 and Vista, but Steam won't say as much as it means they would have to support this claim (including giving refunds in the instances where they might not work).

So even if they work, I doubt Steam will indicate this on the store page unless the publisher specifically tells them that the games now support other OS. That's why it's always a good idea to just check the forums before you buy an older title as if it doesn't work on newer systems usually people will say as much on the forums.
colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Medium_Rare

All three are really fun. Earned in blood isn't much of an improvement over hill 30, but still fun. Hells highway is great so far too (only about an hour into it).

I played earned in blood on consoles a long time ago... Just finished hill 30 yesterday and it was great. I may go back and play EIB again before I continue hells highway because I don't want to miss any little story reference goodies.
Medium_Rare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
held

I played through all three BiA-titles the last days. Hell's Highway was my favorite. Not only because of the nice Unreal 3 graphics, also because of the story cutscenes. AI was better in BiA 1 & 2. Sometimes the AI in Hell's Highway doesn't react. Good WW2 gaming series.
held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #15
Hypa

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado View Post
I bought the entire series as retail version last week. Had no issues with installing and playing at all with any of the three games on my W7 laptop. Works like a charm and i really enjoyed it.
Hypa is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Brothers in Arms series