Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Beyond Good & Evil

Old 05-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
colorado

How To Run In Widescreen

I haven't seen this mentioned yet on these forums so I thought I'd post it. Someone figured out a way to remove the black bars from the top and bottom of the screen.

Instructions from the GOG forums:

Quote:
1-Start Regedit (as an administrator; it is actually a very vulnerable and fundamental zone of your OS).
{Open "Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories, Run" then enter regedit in the "open" textbox and click OK.}

2-Then, in the left side of the window, you have to search for the Registry Key "folder" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ubisoft\Beyond Good & Evil\SettingsApplication.INI\Basic video. By selecting "Basic video", around twenty "values" almost all in a "Dual Word" format (DWORD).

3-So you'll have to create another one (for safety) also in "DWORD" format that you MUST name exactly "NoBands". (Of course without quotes. <_< )
{To create it, right-click anywhere around the other values and select "New, DWORD (32 bit) Value then name it NoBands.}

4-Finally, the only remaining step is to SET the "NoBands" value to 1 and close Regedit.

This will only work during gameplay, not cinematics. Also, it doesn't make the game true 16:9 or 16:10 widescreen. It will still appear as stretched 4:3 image on Widescreen monitors like before, but at least this way it isn't both stretched AND letterboxed.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
colorado

Anyhow, if anyone is wondering if it works on modern hardware, it runs beautifully on my set up (Vista 64, I7 quad core, GTX 285) after I implemented the above fix and also deselected "HW Vortex Processing" under graphics settings to remove the texture artifacts/glitches.

Its only problem as I see it is that it's still a stretched 4:3 image on widescreen displays (and it seems as if no one has found a work around for this), but it still looks great compared to other games of its era--stretched image or no.
colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
colorado

Bump

(since everyone is asking about this)
colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
k4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado View Post
Bump

(since everyone is asking about this)
I wanted to buy this game on ps3, then found steam, and now the game is just $2.49 for the next 4 hours. Would you recommend buying it for pc, or should I get it for psn? There is no controller support for the pc version, and using my dualshock will be awesome. Only drawback is the price, but if its all for a better experience, then Im in all for it.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Tankmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
I wanted to buy this game on ps3, then found steam, and now the game is just $2.49 for the next 4 hours. Would you recommend buying it for pc, or should I get it for psn? There is no controller support for the pc version, and using my dualshock will be awesome. Only drawback is the price, but if its all for a better experience, then Im in all for it.
I played the first few hours of it on gamecube and loved it. I would tell you to get the PC version, and if you don't like the mouse and keyboard set up then you could always buy a controller or something. I personally use a Wii classic controller pro for certain pc games(by using bluetooth) but you could always buy an xbox 360 controller or something, especially if you plan on purchasing PC games in the future.
Tankmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
k4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmin View Post
I played the first few hours of it on gamecube and loved it. I would tell you to get the PC version, and if you don't like the mouse and keyboard set up then you could always buy a controller or something. I personally use a Wii classic controller pro for certain pc games(by using bluetooth) but you could always buy an xbox 360 controller or something, especially if you plan on purchasing PC games in the future.
I already have an xbox 360 controller for windows, but I read that this game doesnt support controllers. Maybe xpadder will work but Ill have to buy the program, and joytokey is trash.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
an0maly33

Joy2key is trash? That's my goto app for games that don't have controller support. Works fine for this game too so far.
an0maly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
k4ever

Maybe I just got a bad experience with it, but I was playing this flash game called 1000 amps and after some minutes the controls would start to behave randomly. Only way to fix it was to close the program and reopen it again. Im just giving my 2 cents regarding my experience with joy2key.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
heinous

i managed get the correct aspect ratio on my flat screen.

i just set the game resolution to 1280 x 960, plenty big enough, and play it boxed on all sides.

monitor is native 1080p.

my monitor has a firmware function to automatically expand the image to fit 1080p while maintaining aspect ration, so i used that. but even without it, the game is plenty big enough on my 24 inch monitor.

i actually don't think it looks good if i used a higher resolution or if it was stretched more. some of the 2d images in the game look really blurry because they weren't meant for such high resolutions. 1280 x 960 is a fine resolution to play on.

i hope this helps someone. it took a good half day googling to find a solution to the messed up aspect ratio.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
v00d00man

Smile

Man could you tell name of vendor and model of your display please? I was just looking for dispaly that could do things like this and zoom \ unzoom picture and preserve aspect ratio if software and videocard fails.
v00d00man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Beyond Good & Evil