Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alice: Madness Returns

Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
kami790

Alice Madness Returns, one-time activation drm

So, I'm looking into buying this game and was curious what kind of drm it would use. This is what it saids on the store page.

EA ACCOUNT, REGISTRATION WITH ENCLOSED SINGLE-USE SERIAL CODE, INTERNET CONNECTION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY AND ACCESS BONUS CONTENT (IF ANY). SERIAL CODE IS NON-TRANSFERABLE ONCE USED.

Now, I assume this means it is linked to an account. But the information here is kinda vague so I asked one of the developers about this on americanmcgee.com and this is the reply I got.

As to your second question, the codes are a one-time use thing. Once they've been used for a download, they will not work again. I'm not sure what the technical aspects of that are, but that's what I've been told.

I hope she misunderstood what it actually means, because imo, it is just ridiculous to lose the option to install the game again and would be the worst type of DRM EA has done yet.

On a side note, she also said this,

For your first question, we only know what the developers have managed in their walk-throughs in the studio, so there's not a good guess on how long it'll take. However, we do know that it's meant to be in excess of 20-30 hours. This is just a guess because everyone has a different gaming style, and frankly, just blasting through it doesn't really afford you the opportunity to enjoy the richness of it.

So at least it'll have plenty of length I guess.

Last edited by kami790: 05-30-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Fox_McCloud

Banned
I bet it's not true, no company is that stupid, especially as the game got panned by OPM.
Fox_McCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
velvetmeds

Banned
You just need to be online on first install and that's it. It's probably the same system as DA2
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
epsylon_Z1

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kami790 View Post
So, I'm looking into buying this game and was curious what kind of drm it would use. This is what it saids on the store page.

EA ACCOUNT, REGISTRATION WITH ENCLOSED SINGLE-USE SERIAL CODE, INTERNET CONNECTION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY AND ACCESS BONUS CONTENT (IF ANY). SERIAL CODE IS NON-TRANSFERABLE ONCE USED.
There's no such thing on the european store page of the game .

http://imageshack.us/f/810/alicemadnessreturnsthec.png/

Last edited by epsylon_Z1: 05-30-2011 at 01:11 PM.
epsylon_Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Larry1212

I'd say it's tied to an account. When I bought Crysis 2 it was tied to my account and I can download it whenever I want from the EA Download Manager.

In truth I wouldn't be surprised if someone did some kind of DRM like this... Look at Sony. They have a policy where they'll only allow you to download games only five times but they also allow you to copy it as many times as you like and make a hard copy for yourself, atleast that's what they do with PSP games.
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Numnums

One time code use means it can only be applied once.....then it is tied to the account in use. Non transferable and linked to your EA account. They did not not explain it clearly.....yes its a one time use....just not a one time download.

The code for Portal 2 in the PS3 disc case is a "one time use" code.
Numnums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
velvetmeds

Banned
Steam games are one time use.
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Teh_Saccade

Well, I just got the game.
I launch it, copy my code down - create an EA account (also tried to use my PS3 one) - enter it aaannnddd...

It says it cannot activate, please buy this game.

I have made a rule for the game and the EA thing through my firewall, done a fresh install, turned my firewall off, several other things and:

It still will not activate.

Can I return a game that I have not yet been able to play, because the god-damn EA copy-protection is not allowing me to play it?
Teh_Saccade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
GirlPower23

All Serial Keys are a one time use. You use it.. you get access to the download forever.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
hoilst

Meanwhile, the early buyers of Alice on the consoles are already trading them in, putting a used copy of the game EA sees no money on the shelves in direct competition with new copies, and walking away with a refund, resulting in an actual loss of only twenty bucks or so...
hoilst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
chrisdglong

Banned
One time use just means it is tied to your EA account. This is the same system that Microsoft uses in GFWL for SSA games.
chrisdglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
woolerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdglong View Post
One time use just means it is tied to your EA account. This is the same system that Microsoft uses in GFWL for SSA games.
yup....

i installed it via steam first hand, then realised it was on my origin account too so unistalled steam version and i downloaded and installed alice on origin.
(personal choice)

so there proof you can install it more than once.

anyway from what i know, it's got a limit of 5 installs in 24 hours then resets the counter.

to holist.... the beuty of console gaming...funnily enough, i buy smartly and i usually make a profit or break even when i resell my games

but honestly i would rather them destroy second hand selling than destroy the PC gaming market

Last edited by woolerland: 06-26-2011 at 11:35 AM.
woolerland is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alice: Madness Returns