Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
Fazer2

Question Which version of Witcher 2 should I buy?

There are many versions of The Witcher 2, from Steam, from GoG, from retail and so on. Unfortunately, the choice is not easy. None of them is without drawbacks and here's why:

Steam version pros:
- virtual bonus content
- automatic updating (but the patch weights 9 GB)
- no need for DVD to install it in the future
cons:
- costs 49,99 €
- no real life bonus content
- doesn't have Polish language

Retail version pros:
- costs only ~22 €
- real life and virtual bonus content
cons:
- no automatic updating (but the patch is small)
- cumbersome DVD
- doesn't have English language

As you can see, the price on Steam is more than two times higher. That's why I'm considering buying the retail version, but I have one more question - do you know if it's possible to register it on Steam?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
schism84

I'd advise the GOG version honestly... Otherwise, all retail and digital standard edition have the bonus content (soundtrack, papercraft, game guide etc). For your concerns about language packs, English and Polish are both available for sure. Right now CDP have network problems but as soon as they're fixed you should be able to download the appropriate one from the launcher.
schism84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
WardDragon

The retail version doesn't require the disc in the drive after you install the game so it's not as inconvenient as you might think to get the retail version

Edit: And no, the retail version doesn't use Steamworks. I guess you could add it to Steam anyway but it won't give you access to downloading the game or bonus materials through Steam if that's what you wanted to know.
WardDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
Brandon Spikes

Banned
Whatever is cheaper, its all the same in the end anyways
Brandon Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
ZenBirdMan

FWIW, I was torn between retail and digital as well.

Once 1.1 hit (with removal of DRM) I went with retail. The physical bonuses are nice to have. DVD does not have to be in the drive for play.

Seems like retail is much cheaper for the OP. Whatever you decide, enjoy the game!
ZenBirdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Backslider.r2

I'd say GOG. Virtual bonus content, both languages, the devs get a bigger cut of the profits, and the patch takes like 20 seconds.
Backslider.r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
KyRoS

The cheapest one for sure. They removed the DRM from retail, so you don't even have to worry about securom potential issues. I bought retail and absolutely love the game. The patcher that it uses is pretty crappy though. I always get an error about trying to write a file. I got it from Gamestop, so it's probably related to Troll Trouble or the Mysterious Merchant, but the game still works and there are always new mods that come out. I personally use the one that increases weight limits, which makes the game more enjoyable for me personally.
KyRoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Celtichugs

GoG or retail all the way
Celtichugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Dazzled

GoG or retail, Steam is not good for this game.
Dazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
skelter192

Banned
Collector's edition ofcourse.
skelter192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Civerneix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer2 View Post
cons:
- doesn't have Polish language
You can use language packs just like any other DLC. So Polish is availble via Steam just like on any other distribution platform.

If I were to choose today, I'd go for CE. I picked up the Steam version mostly because of general convenience (all games in one place) and achievements (added layer for replayability).

Anyway, I'd say go for CE or gog.com
Civerneix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
NorthernKingdom

Banned
Any other version but Steam.

Steam is severely overpriced and has patching issues.
NorthernKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
stuartlee

I'd say buy the version they bring out later in the year after they've fixed all the broken stuff and 're-released' it.

Also don't be fooled into buying the 'digital premium edition' from Steam which comes with NONE of the bonus content listed.
stuartlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
ZDProletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartlee View Post
I'd say buy the version they bring out later in the year after they've fixed all the broken stuff and 're-released' it.

Also don't be fooled into buying the 'digital premium edition' from Steam which comes with NONE of the bonus content listed.
What the hell are you talking about? The bonus content is there. Have you even bothered asking somebody where to get it before assuming it's not there?

Some people.. I swear...
ZDProletariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
stuartlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDProletariat View Post
What the hell are you talking about? The bonus content is there. Have you even bothered asking somebody where to get it before assuming it's not there?

Some people.. I swear...
Actually it's not 'there'. You have to download it separately (from the Tools menu, naturally!). After searching my PC, this forum and on google I didn't find any info about where the bonus content was so I contacted Steam about it. Thanks for assuming I didn't 'bother'.
Some people.. I swear...

Anywho, here's how to find the bonus content if you don't already know:

"Digital Premium Edition content included with this title is not downloaded with the game. To access the bonus content, please log into your Steam account and navigate to the Library Tab. In the drop down menu directly under "Library" switch the view of the list to "Tools". Select "The Witcher 2: Bonus Content" and download it by double clicking, or right clicking the listing and selecting "Install Game..." After the download is complete, you can access the bonus content by either double clicking the entry in the tools list. You can also navigate directly to the installation folder (Default is C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher 2\BonusContent) If you installed Steam to a different location, you will need to navigate there. "
stuartlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The