Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
LPChip

Lightbulb Steam webbrowser - favorites

I often access the ingame browser in order to look up information about a game I am playing. Example: There's a wiki telling what all the achievements are for Modern Warfare 2 and how to unlock them. Sites like these should be in a favorites list so I can access them easily when I am in game.

Alternatively, it would be nice to show the favorites when you first launch the the webbrowser instead of google, with optional google search bar.

I would settle for a customisable website as first page, so I can build my own launch screen with favorites, although the ingame browser really needs favorites. It could be a star icon next to the home button. You press it and a menu pops up. the first item is: add this to favorites, and the rest are the favorites already present.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
samstancill

It would be nice if you could just open up your preferred browser when using Steam. I have Chrome to run exactly how I like it, it has all my bookmarks organised and runs far faster then the ty Steam overlay browser.

I just think that is Steam could leave those extra functions to other programs instead of trying to cram every possible function into their own, they could focus on organising the store or building a customizable game library, and so on.

But, yeah, if you're going to have a function in your program you may as well make sure it doesn't suck, and the Steam browser seriously sucks.
samstancill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstancill View Post
It would be nice if you could just open up your preferred browser when using Steam. I have Chrome to run exactly how I like it, it has all my bookmarks organised and runs far faster then the ty Steam overlay browser.

I just think that is Steam could leave those extra functions to other programs instead of trying to cram every possible function into their own, they could focus on organising the store or building a customizable game library, and so on.

But, yeah, if you're going to have a function in your program you may as well make sure it doesn't suck, and the Steam browser seriously sucks.
This because trying to make the steam program more than just a game distributor is just going to hurt it. It like utorrent, adobe flash, or any other program a lot of steam users use have a basic email feature added. That is stupid because programs are meant to focus on one thing and do it well. Steam needs to focus more on giving people lots of options or customizations. Not add features that you can already get but even better from other software. The browser I understand so that really wasn't a bad idea but why do we have to install it too ? Options please. Let us decide what features of steam we want like all other software programs do.

Like you I prefer to use my main browser as well to lookup information when I am in a game because I have it setup exactly to my personal preference! Being able to open Firefox in a overlay would be pretty cool but I don't need it. Normally I just use Firefox normally and if I really need the information to stay on the screen I can keep Firefox always on top. Easy enough to do. At I get to find the information the way I like to but at the same time making it easier. Doubt this will ever happen but that is ok.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
LPChip

The sole reason why I wouldn't want to use my favorite webbrowser is because switching from fullscreen to my desktop takes time. Imagine when you play portal and you're stuck on a puzzle. You want to open youtube, to see how to do it. You check part by part, pausing the video, and make progress from there. This means lots of switching. In these cases, an external browser really is not the way to go. Youtube works very well in-game.

True, this particular idea is not really a problem for the current request, but I stated my request earlier on. Just saying why the webbrowser is a good thing to have.

I like it how I can see the game in the background for when I am in a lobby and waiting for the time to run out. I open the browser, do some browsing and when the game is about to start, I hit Shift tab, and start the game.
LPChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPChip View Post
The sole reason why I wouldn't want to use my favorite webbrowser is because switching from fullscreen to my desktop takes time. Imagine when you play portal and you're stuck on a puzzle. You want to open youtube, to see how to do it. You check part by part, pausing the video, and make progress from there. This means lots of switching. In these cases, an external browser really is not the way to go. Youtube works very well in-game.

True, this particular idea is not really a problem for the current request, but I stated my request earlier on. Just saying why the webbrowser is a good thing to have.

I like it how I can see the game in the background for when I am in a lobby and waiting for the time to run out. I open the browser, do some browsing and when the game is about to start, I hit Shift tab, and start the game.
It takes the same amount of time as to open the overlay steam browser as it does your favorite browser. I don't want all those ads on youtube either or any other site I go to when using the overlay steam browser. Though not sure if I have that problem sense I use Ad instead of Ad Blocker Plus.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas