Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Electrifry

Wireless repeater for 2wire router

Hi, right now I have a Bell 2701HG-G Gateway for internet access and stuff. Its wireless works fine on the main floor (that's where it's located) but the signal gets a bit too weak on the second floor, especially in my room. This is most likely because the router is on one side of the house and my room is on the other, and that's a pretty large gap between the two.

I am going to be keeping my gaming rig in my room, and for some reason no one in my house is okay with me running a cable all the way across the house. And they also don't want me to move the router. So this means I am going to have to connect wirelessly.

I have to increase the range/quality of the signal in my room, and I was considering using a wireless repeater to do it. However, I don't know what would be compatible with the router. I would prefer if the product was available on newegg.ca, because I'll be buying the parts for the computer from them.

Also, what wireless adapter/wireless card should I go with for the new computer? I'm assuming that the wireless adapter/wireless card is going to just be plugged into the motherboard, so here's the link to my chosen motherboard.

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Fox_McCloud

Banned
Why not buy an N or higher router?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Electrifry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox_McCloud View Post
Why not buy an N or higher router?
I highly doubt that the router would be able to punch a signal through all the vents, pipes and wiring all the way to my room by itself. Even if it could I'm not sure if my computer would be able to send a signal back. Plus I don't know what makes a router "good", what brand to go with, or what makes an "N" router better than the one I have. Although that last bit might be because I can't find any useful information for my router anywhere so I can't compare it with anything...

*Edit*
I found this repeater, do you think it would work?
EnGenius ERB9250 802.11b/g/n Wireless Range Extender up to 300Mbps

Last edited by Electrifry: 06-02-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
AirPortugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrifry View Post
I highly doubt that the router would be able to punch a signal through all the vents, pipes and wiring all the way to my room by itself. Even if it could I'm not sure if my computer would be able to send a signal back. Plus I don't know what makes a router "good", what brand to go with, or what makes an "N" router better than the one I have. Although that last bit might be because I can't find any useful information for my router anywhere so I can't compare it with anything...

*Edit*
I found this repeater, do you think it would work?
EnGenius ERB9250 802.11b/g/n Wireless Range Extender up to 300Mbps
I have this same router and had the exact same issue as you. Instead of buying a repeater (couldn't find one) I found something called powerline or power-over-ethernet. Here's a video that talks about it. It's actually insanely easy to use.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Electrifry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirPortugal View Post
I have this same router and had the exact same issue as you. Instead of buying a repeater (couldn't find one) I found something called powerline or power-over-ethernet. Here's a video that talks about it. It's actually insanely easy to use.
Oh, so I take it you have it? Got any recommendations for which set of adapters I should buy? I'll definitely be using my new computer for online gaming (TF2!).
Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
L.o.D.

Try something like this;
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DHP-307AV It's what I use.

It uses the home's wiring to expand the wireless network & it works pretty damn good, once set up right.
I am using this now as my router is in the basement & my room is on second floor. My speeds are around the 13meg point on a 10meg connection.

If you do buy this one, make sure top go to the official page to get the manual as the included one is too vague & not informative.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Electrifry

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.o.D. View Post
Try something like this;
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DHP-307AV It's what I use.

It uses the home's wiring to expand the wireless network & it works pretty damn good, once set up right.
I am using this now as my router is in the basement & my room is on second floor. My speeds are around the 13meg point on a 10meg connection.

If you do buy this one, make sure top go to the official page to get the manual as the included one is too vague & not informative.
Ah, thanks! I found the kit on newegg.ca for $91.80.

It'll definitely be cheaper to use this than buy the wireless adapter, wireless repeater/range extender/what ever you want to call it, and a new router so that the wireless repeater/range extender/what ever you want to call it would actually work (which, before S&H and tax, totaled up to about $90.00, only cause the stuff was on sale though).

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
AirPortugal

Quote:
Ah, thanks! I found the kit on newegg.ca for $91.80.

It'll definitely be cheaper to use this than buy the wireless adapter, wireless repeater/range extender/what ever you want to call it, and a new router so that the wireless repeater/range extender/what ever you want to call it would actually work (which, before S&H and tax, totaled up to about $90.00, only cause the stuff was on sale though).

Thanks for the help so far.
Ya that's exactly what I was talking about - I use it for my 360. Only thing is to make sure you connect it directly to the wall and NOT to a power brick/bar, whatever you want to call it!

EDIT: Also, if you ever need to connect more things, you just need to buy 1 more of those things instead of 2.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Electrifry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirPortugal View Post
Ya that's exactly what I was talking about - I use it for my 360. Only thing is to make sure you connect it directly to the wall and NOT to a power brick/bar, whatever you want to call it!

EDIT: Also, if you ever need to connect more things, you just need to buy 1 more of those things instead of 2.
If I did buy another, would it have to be the exact same model? Because I've been looking around and it seems like they're only sold in sets of 2...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Archvile

Quote:
Hi, right now I have a Bell 2701HG-G Gateway for internet access and stuff. Its wireless works fine on the main floor (that's where it's located) but the signal gets a bit too weak on the second floor, especially in my room. This is most likely because the router is on one side of the house and my room is on the other, and that's a pretty large gap between the two.

I am going to be keeping my gaming rig in my room, and for some reason no one in my house is okay with me running a cable all the way across the house. And they also don't want me to move the router. So this means I am going to have to connect wirelessly.

I have to increase the range/quality of the signal in my room, and I was considering using a wireless repeater to do it. However, I don't know what would be compatible with the router. I would prefer if the product was available on newegg.ca, because I'll be buying the parts for the computer from them.

Also, what wireless adapter/wireless card should I go with for the new computer? I'm assuming that the wireless adapter/wireless card is going to just be plugged into the motherboard, so here's the link to my chosen motherboard.

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks in advance...

Are you sure it's not an issue with your antenna on the computer because my laptop picks up signals from about half my neighbors..
Old 06-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Electrifry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archvile View Post
Are you sure it's not an issue with your antenna on the computer because my laptop picks up signals from about half my neighbors..
Actually I don't have the computer yet. I was just worried about this because my DSi can barely pick up a signal in my room. And I do know which SSID is mine. So neighboring signals aren't causing the problem.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Actually I don't have the computer yet.
Ask when you get it and are having issues.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems