Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > 2K Games

Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Alienware Gamer

Thumbs up Demo is superb- come get some!!!

Just finished it & love it. It has the same feel/tone as Duke Nukem 3D.

Humour/content/small gameplay touches its all good!!!

Gfx are no worse than most UT3 games they look ok to me the only critique I would give is allow PC gamers a chance to download a high res texture pack in the near future via Steam if this game sells really well (I think it will do ok on PC).

Demo has more variety & gameplay elements than most modern games put together!!!

Duke can only carry 2 weapons at once but that's ok he only need's 2 (if you could carry all of them it would upset gameplay as the shrinking ray/rpg etc etc would be unfair in some scenarios).

EU get's this next friday 10th.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienware Gamer View Post
EU get's this next friday 10th.
I'm glad you told me, i've been loking for this info all day and wondering why i cant get the demo.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
darthminus

Dunno maybe I wasn't in the mood, but compared to Borderlands (hoped to be at least as good as Borderlands if not better) it seemed kinda.. meh... The iron sight of the weapons except railgun was laughable, the AI was well, not that intelligent and the gameplay in general was far from exciting.

I was almost certain that I would get this, but now I won't preorder for sure and I will wait for some reviews and more players opinions.
darthminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
SmutLord

I am very happy with this game just from the demo play. Getting to drive around in your truck, killing aliens with sweet weapons and peeing in the urinal at the start all great stuff. I got Hunted which I want a refund for, this game hopefully will have a ton of game play hours and things to do in it, the demo gives you a good idea what to expect. Well worth the buy. I would give it a solid 8 right now for the demo play. And once I play the full game most likely a 10 since the demo play went by so fast and the demo was actually hard on hard mode.
SmutLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
GodSmacked

gfx look horrible compared to any other 2011 game...cancelled preorder
Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Lodion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSmacked View Post
gfx look horrible compared to any other 2011 game...cancelled preorder
Agreed. Everything has a horrible interlacing style affect applied, showing horizontal lines. I hope this is a driver issue with my ATI/AMD card...

Here is a screenshot showing what I mean. It is clearly visible in the red smoke on the left.
http://naughtymonkeys.net/uploader/f...6-03_00003.jpg

I've tried disabling various graphics options to get rid of it, with no luck.
Lodion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
GodSmacked

never had high hopes for the game and figured it's all been a marketing gimmick, but i figured they could come up with something better than this besides the one liners and school girls
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
nutcrackr

Hated the demo, will not be buying. Virtually no redeeming qualities, hard to believe they are selling this to the masses in less than two weeks.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
GodSmacked

yes, i even checked out the hi-res shots at neogaf.com and they look horrid. people on there are complaining, too!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
LiquidKill

It's the DEMO from pax 9 months ago.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Jeffro

It's basically Duke Hukem 3D HD, I like it quite a bit even though there's tons of graphical noise. If it's as long as the original Duke Nukem 3D with same varied environments it'll be worth it, especially if this is a 9 month old demo.

I was going to wait for reviews either way.
Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
JK_DC

Try turning off noise and/or postprocessing. I had no issues but it would be nice to adjust postprocessing effects separately.
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
MADDOGGE

Disregarding for the moment the damn regen health, sorry lame assed checkpoints only, and the pathetic limit of 2 weapon slots, the game plays like a Duke game. I don't know what some people were expected. I'm not looking for an awsome sneaky assed AI. I'm looking for a Duke Nukem game. Did none of these people complaining about the combat ever play the real thing DN3D? With the exception of my personal disappointments I thought the game played very well and looked nice.

PS: Personally I'd have settled for a massive expansion pack for DN3D and have been more than happy with 90's graphics and arrows keys.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 06-03-2011 at 04:33 PM.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Doctor_Hades

I loved the demo but be aware that it installs AMD Dual-Core Optimizer even on quad-core Intel systems as I checked my PC after reading about it on the Guru3D.com forum. Fortunately, I haven't rebooted my PC, which is an Intel Core i7-920, since I installed the demo this morning otherwise I'm sure it would have crashed Windows during boot up. Very shoddy IMO.
Doctor_Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
Doctor_Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidKill View Post
It's the DEMO from pax 9 months ago.
Still very good though and the graphics are decent if a little dated (the 2D grass that rotates with Duke for example). Maybe the final build is a little more polished but even if it isn't I'll be happy as it looks ten squillion times better than Duke Nukem 3D does now. All I wanted was an update of classic Duke Nukem with a new 3D engine and that seems to be what we have.
Doctor_Hades is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > 2K Games