Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > 2K Games

Old 06-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Eccid

Thumbs down My Thoughts: DNF Demo

First thing, I downloaded it within 30 minutes of receiving the email about it. My notifier popped up, I got the code and downloaded the game rather quickly, and was ready to play. I get in game, set up the controls, and hit play. Intro plays, then a black screen. I can pee, but I can't see anything that's going on. After reinstalling it and re-updating my video drivers, i decide to go to bed for the time being, it was about 2 a.m.

I wake up, search to see if anyone had the same problem, it turns out, that I'm unable to run it in full screen, for whatever reason. I get in game, see the very detailed urinal I can pee in, search around for the various other things to do in the bathroom, which are pretty funny and rather entertaining. I leave the bathroom and come to a group of guys at a whiteboard. I play around with the whiteboard, which was pretty fun.

That was pretty much the most fun in the demo. I run around, dodge enemies, get a big gun, kill a big guy, and kick a field goal with his detached eye (which was pretty funny at least). Then on to the next part. I do some driving, which wasn't terribly done, then to killing aliens. The shooting system it self just felt sloppy, you take damage so easily you have to take cover all the time, while the enemies take a bit to die (this is on normal) and will keep shooting you while you try and kill them, making it take longer. The weapons were varied quite a bit for a demo, but the all felt like they were doing the same little amount of damage.

In the end, I was not impressed at all. My expectations were rather low, considering I stopped caring if this would ever be released 5 years ago, and I still wasn't impressed. You do get all the nostalgia with Dukes foul mouth and the general foul humor of the game, but that's it. When it comes to actual gameplay, it was not fun at all. Maybe I'll rent it for my xbox when it comes out, but I can't see myself buying this game based on the demo.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Choster

I liked the demo except for one thing. The combat is not intense or satisfying at all. The enemies don't feel threatening and killing them feels rather boring. Only being able to carry two weapons also reduces the combat experience. Hoping the full game is better combat wise. Seems to be a decent game worth picking up when it goes 50% to 75% off. The Duke humor and one liners are not enough to carry this game.
Choster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
tonka

I liked the demo, too.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
radracer

yeah... what is up with only carrying two weapons...

i just tested it out on normal, and the enemies were pretty easy to beat. I didnt really like the whole car part either...

it was ok for a shooting game. Sorta dissappointed.
radracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Jeffro

Definitely need to be able to carry an arsenal in a ridiculous game like this. The 2 weapon Halo bull was really annoying.
Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
CleverNickname

2 weapons, regenrating health, that stupid sprinting animation

this isn't a Duke Nukem game, it's a generic modern shooter on an old engine with a half-assed Duke Nukem skin. Macho lines and T&A don't make it a different game.

It has checkpoint-only saving, too, doesn't it?
CleverNickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Jeffro

Yeah, I saw no mappable quicksave/load buttons and tried a few to see if they work(f5-f9) but no dice.
Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Coopz

Too much console influence
Coopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
sirinkal0t

I've played all the douk games and I like Forever.
sirinkal0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
HydrantHunter

There was quite a bit about the demo that was very 'Duke' but that was the best part for me - that it reminded me so much of Duke 3D and how much fun I had playing that.

The guns weren't very satisfying (mostly very weak), the driving portion was horrifyingly bad (imo), and the whole thing felt like I was running from one semi-interactive feature to the next (play with faucets, kick the eye, ride the cart, etc.) with unsatisfying bits of Duke-like something in between. Ultimately it felt more like a tech demo than a game demo - the playable parts weren't logically connected and made me wonder if the actual game was this disjointed.

I'll probably buy the game at some point, but not at the release price.
HydrantHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Juppez

Reading the DNF manual right now MP has 4 play modes

DM,TDM,CFT(capture the babe) and domination with the control place frequently moving.
Multiplayer will have levels, challenges and you can customize your duke hats shirts etc... and something called "digs" straight quote from manual:
As duke moves up in level, cool features in his apartement are unlocked.
There is also multiplayer pickups

your classic jetpack
whiskey: wich gives instantaneous invincibility
duke statue: you deal damage
Steroids:One-shot sucker punch enemies
Juppez is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > 2K Games