Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Welly Wu

Civilization 5 not working

Hi. I own Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with Crucial 8.00 GB of PC-8500 DDR3 SODIMM SDRAM and an Intel 2nd Generation MLC NAND 160 GB Solid State Drive. I also own Sid Meier's Civilization 5 with all of the current downloadable content and no modifications for PC. A few days ago, my computer got corrupted by ComboFix and I had to reinstall the entire operating system and all of my critical software applications and device drivers for my hardware from scratch. I just downloaded and I installed Sid Meier's Civilization 5 tonight.

When I go to launch the game in Microsoft DirectX 9, 10, or 11 modes, it displays a black screen with no sound for a long time. It never loads the game properly. I checked to see if I have the latest patches for this game which I do so. I also restarted my PC and relaunched the game only to have the same problem reoccur.

I verified the local PC game cache and it said that 1 file failed to validate and it will be reacquired.

How do I solve this problem so that I can play Sid Meier's Civilization 5 on my PC?

Please list step by step instructions.

Thank you.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Welly Wu

I read the troubleshooting Civilization thread and I fixed my problem. Thank you.
Welly Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
FTB81

Hi,

I am having some problems lauching Civilization 5 too. How did you solve your problem?

Cheers, Arnaud
Old 06-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Welly Wu

Read the troubleshooting thread. It will show you how to solve this problem.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
FTB81

I did but I still cannot launch the game. I thaught you tried something else.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Welly Wu

5# Civilization V Crashes on Startup, Skip Intro Movie

If your game keeps on crashing at the initial stages of the game like the start up screen or the first loading screen, you may want to try following workarounds.
1. Go to

“My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization 5\”

and open usersettings.ini in Notepad. About 15 lines down you will find “SkipIntroVideo = 0″. Make this value 1. This will skip the intro video and you will be directly enter to the game menu. Again, make sure that you have the latest drivers and you reboot the PC after driver install and editing the ini file.

2. Navigate to

Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier’s Civilization V/DirectX

and run Dxsetup.exe. if you are using Dx10/11, try running the game using DirectX 9 also upgrade your DirectX drivers.

This is what I did to fix my Civilization 5. It works now in Microsoft DirectX 9, 10, and 11 modes.

I do not play Civilization 5 that much compared to my other PC games.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
CanuckSoldier

Yes make sure you have the latest version of DX and the latest video drivers for your chip.

CS
CanuckSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series