Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal

Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Aaaboy97

"impulse 101" Switching Weapons

I used to be able to switch weapons using the scroll wheel after running "impulse 101," but now it does not let me switch weapons.

It stopped switching after I reset all of my keys to default, so I restarted Portal and it still did not work.

Does anyone know how I could fix the weapon switching?

Last edited by Aaaboy97: 06-04-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Zekiran

Why are you using weapons in a game that doesn't require shooting?

Just... wondering.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Aaaboy97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
Why are you using weapons in a game that doesn't require shooting?

Just... wondering.
My friend showed me the command and I wanted to test it out a bit. I didn't get to use it much before it stopped working.
Aaaboy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Zekiran

If you really want to use that command, why not use it in a game like Half Life 2 where it's actually meaningful though?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaboy97 View Post
I used to be able to switch weapons using the scroll wheel after running "impulse 101," but now it does not let me switch weapons.

It stopped switching after I reset all of my keys to default, so I restarted Portal and it still did not work.

Does anyone know how I could fix the weapon switching?
Scroll wheel is still working for me when I use impulse 101, which also requires sv_cheat 1

Even without the scroll wheel, you still can use the keyboard shortcuts to select different weapons.

To get the scroll wheel back, you might have to go as far re-installing Portal completely to get the defaults back, but you shouldn't have to go that far. If you do a complete re-install, disable Portal Cloud saves before you do it otherwise the cloud might just download your current keyboard settings that disables the mouse wheel.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
TheChickenMan

Quote:
If you really want to use that command, why not use it in a game like Half Life 2 where it's actually meaningful though?
*implying everyone owns half-life 2*
TheChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Zekiran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChickenMan View Post
*implying everyone owns half-life 2*
Implying, that such commands are useless in a game which never, ever allows you to use them - or requires them in any way, such as Portal. There is nothing to SHOOT. There is nothing to BREAK. (which you can't break by simply lifting them - like mugs/bottles) So unless you're going to simply use Portal's maps as a sandbox and exclusively spawn enemies: the HL2 enemies, specifically, since they're somewhat available in the original code, there's no reason in any way to *have* them.

And yes, also implying that "if you are trying to use a cheat code for weapons found in another of Valve's games, but don't already own said game, why aren't you going over to the Valve Store and buying it so you can enjoy those weapons in the setting and game that they were *meant* to be used in?"
Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
scratchyoshi

Quote:
Implying, that such commands are useless in a game which never, ever allows you to use them - or requires them in any way, such as Portal. There is nothing to SHOOT. There is nothing to BREAK. (which you can't break by simply lifting them - like mugs/bottles) So unless you're going to simply use Portal's maps as a sandbox and exclusively spawn enemies: the HL2 enemies, specifically, since they're somewhat available in the original code, there's no reason in any way to *have* them.

And yes, also implying that "if you are trying to use a cheat code for weapons found in another of Valve's games, but don't already own said game, why aren't you going over to the Valve Store and buying it so you can enjoy those weapons in the setting and game that they were *meant* to be used in?"
Actually, you can shoot GLaDOS to make her drop her cores
scratchyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
joe_of_bree

And don't forget that you can spawn Headcrabs and Zombies, plus, shooting through portals is just a lot of fun.
joe_of_bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Zekiran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_of_bree View Post
And don't forget that you can spawn Headcrabs and Zombies, plus, shooting through portals is just a lot of fun.
I keep spawning headcrabs by accident, lol. First time that happened I was seriously baffled.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal