Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Siege series

Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Shiftlock

Thumbs down Dungeon Siege 3 is the definition of consolitis

Dungeon Siege 3 is the new definition of consolitis.

I played the demo last night.

Its the worst ing consolish crap i've probably ever seen:

- Character bios have 5 lines of text viewable at once and the rest of the UI/inventory/character screen is all similarly garbage.

- UI and HUD that takes up a huge part of the screen

- In-game you either keyboard turn or you have to hold alt to turn with your mouse which still sucks anyway

- In-game HUD is not clickable- infact nothing in game is clickable you have to walk up to anything and press E. You wanna loot an enemy? You have to manually walk up and press E. Open a door? Same thing. No click-and-auto-move-to-target here.

- All left click does is attack- thats it. Right clicking you'd think would be to change camera view but no all right click does is make you go forward. You wonder why they even gave you a mouse cursor to begin with.

- mouse wheel in any direction just alternates between 2 zoom views. Even if its the same direction of the mouse scroll, eg. scroll back zooms back OR forward, the mouse scroll is just a toggle.

This is an unmitigated disaster of a port. Its a straight console to PC port and i'm glad I don't give a damn about DS series anyway (Just played DS 1 back in the day, it was ok).

Don't buy this and reward developers for garbage like this.

Even though I personally didn't care for DS3 to begin withh, DS was an iconic PC game for its time and its yet another in a long list of IPs ruined for pacifier-sucking/idiot frat console babies.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
LauZaIM

I came to the forums just to see if someone created a thread on this because almost as soon as I started browsing the menu and playing the game I thought "this looks like it was designed for a console". Even the textures are characteristically bad.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Shiftlock

Its garbage all around. The UI makes Witcher 2's "designed for console" UI look like it was hand-tweaked for computer monitors.
Shiftlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Wicked Slammy

LMFAO, just played the demo and thought THE EXACT SAME THING!! Could have been alright but felt very linear, cheap and dumbed down big time!

Consolitis - A PC Gaming Disease

clumsy and frustrating user interfaces
super-large fonts (used to be seen on televisions from afar)
extremely poor visual quality, characterized by low texture resolutions, low polygon counts by current generation standards, etc.
poor control not optimized for the keyboard/mouse control scheme
horrible handling of saving games, or limited save model
lack of options (resolutions, audio settings, graphic quality, etc.)
the inability to remap keys to certain actions
platform-style gameplay suited for gamepads
simplified game mechanics
unoptimized performance not taking advantage of the latest PC technologies
no support for mods, and no editors for customization
Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Weaver

My favorite part is the menu "loading" circle that appears before every screen, despite the fact it doesn't need to load as there is nothing to read. Why not just remove it?
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
brotrrwinner

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Its garbage all around. The UI makes Witcher 2's "designed for console" UI look like it was hand-tweaked for computer monitors.
I agree and the Witcher 2 UI was pretty bad (but the game is great, too bad they had to go and suck the console player's **** with the interface)
brotrrwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
sesnut

i miss games like fable 1 and sw: kotr 1 + 2 for the pc

sesnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Azzer007

Have to agree, I downloaded the demo quite excitedly (I really enjoyed DS 2)... I think I survived 15-20 minutes before quitting and deleting it, and cancelling my pre-order.

It's pure console in every single aspect. And just like the OP, I couldn't believe the hideous simplicity of the mouse controls, the "E is for [E]verything" control, the dated look, the horrible linearness (are they designed to be linear because consoles can't load too much in to memory at once, so sandbox games are hard to work on a console? I have no idea... but console games always feel very linear and scripted).

A real shame. Yet another series ruined for me, never to be returned to
Azzer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Darkspawn

Yes, this is a disaster.. i agree and it makes me sad.. I really loved the DS series.. But this? This in FUBAR!

All i hope is that Obian and Senix read all this now, all these posts.. and cry..
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Scorpiuscat

Have to agree with the OP and the fact that the control scheme is the suckiest piece of crap I have ever seen as well.
Scorpiuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
bushwhacker2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnut View Post
i miss games like fable 1 and sw: kotr 1 + 2 for the pc

It's funny because most people who have played the games and then played Obsidian's sequels to the games hate Obsidian. Kotor 1 was great, Kotor 2 was good, but not as good as the first.

It's probably their best work, as most of their other sequels are bug-ridden or simply inferior to their predecessor. I have to admit New Vegas did do a few things more interestingly, but it's still lacking in many areas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but perhaps THIS is the reason most companies avoid demos, because then we won't suspect that paying for their game isn't worth it, we'll KNOW.
bushwhacker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
DJ Cryotek

I agree, this game is a pile of crap. It's like Zelda for babies. DS is supposed to be complicated, and about controlling a PARTY OF CHARACTERS, not one person.
DJ Cryotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
Cheezdue

Here goes my list of complaints.

-The damn game is too linear.
-The UI is butt awful and has no reason for the inventory to load. DS 1 was easily accessible by the simple push of a button and required no loading time.
-No clicking to pick up loot.
-The small amount of text per line.
-Playing at a high resolution while feeling it was a 800x600 resolution.
-Dialouge is awful. AWFUL
-With the settings set to high, it didn't very eye-popping.
-Camera controls are awful.

...and theres more to list but I just don't feel like it anymore. DS 1 is better than this.

EDIT:
But I did love how the game changed my keyboard's color depending on my health bar. :3

Last edited by Cheezdue: 06-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Cheezdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
Shiftlock

Hey guys check this crap out, this was back in March 3rd 2011:

"Dungeon Siege III to 'work well' on both PC and console"

http://www.destructoid.com/dungeon-s...e-195453.phtml

"Davis also addressed the typical PC gamer concern that controls would be universally "dumbed down" for the console gamers to cope. "I think PC gamers have completely valid concerns," he stressed. "Control-wise, we developed a pretty slick system to make one of the most important pieces of the PC gamer's arsenal, hotkeys, accessible and fun on the PS3 or Xbox 360 controller. By using the bumpers and triggers to change stances and empower abilities, our Lead Designer, Nathaniel Chapman, created the versatility of hotkeys on console controllers."

Way to go guys, lie through your teeth but as long as the consolekids are satisfied right? At least they gave us a demo.

Last edited by Shiftlock: 06-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Shiftlock

bump for justice

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Siege series