Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Siege series

Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
oi u agree

Anyone else hate this health system?

I hate this new health system they force on you. Your self heal ability sucks, and no one else in your party can heal you. No more potions either, which I don't like. When you're down on health you have to go around running like an idiot while you use your absurdly slow self heal. This is especially prevalent when you're fighting say like a boss, and there are no green orbs near you so you spend half the boss fight healing yourself and the other half poking away at its health.

Last edited by oi u agree: 06-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
MotionTracker

You got to use those "hit and run" tactics.
MotionTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
phd

Actually I find it pretty interesting to play an ARPG without potions.
phd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
karl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by phd View Post
Actually I find it pretty interesting to play an ARPG without potions.
I agreed, you have to be skilled with blocking and rolling, avoid from hurt by enemies, it makes the game much more challenging, more fast-pacing.

yea I think its good system but the control just not let me do what I want to do, if you want to enjoy the game more you need gamepad...
karl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
CYNip

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl84 View Post
I agreed, you have to be skilled with blocking and rolling, avoid from hurt by enemies, it makes the game much more challenging, more fast-pacing.

yea I think its good system but the control just not let me do what I want to do, if you want to enjoy the game more you need gamepad...
BUT without potion or heal spell I'm left with NO FXXKING OPTION if I survive an encounter and end up with low health.

At last I just run into next group to suicide so I can choose "continue" at that spot and ... continue

This crap is even worse than dynasty warriors
CYNip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
Mikey-

Elevates the game, quite frankly. If you can spam pots, it's virtually a cheat.
Mikey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
karl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNip View Post
BUT without potion or heal spell I'm left with NO FXXKING OPTION if I survive an encounter and end up with low health.

At last I just run into next group to suicide so I can choose "continue" at that spot and ... continue

This crap is even worse than dynasty warriors
a technique that the game force you to use is block (hold spacebar) incoming attacks then roll (right click on the direction you want) to another space and attack your enemies

sometimes you have to block more in a large group of people

in other to enjoy ds3 you have to master blocking/rolling skill

for no heal potion, they have set a lot of save point for restore hp, you better go find those save point and restore hp continuously for further adventure
karl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
Mikey-

I love how 'PC gamers' are raving about The Witcher 2's combat - which doesn't allow you to heal, and forces you to strategize - but as soon as another game does the same thing it's garbage. I've about had it with gaming forums. It's just continuos noise.
Mikey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #9
CYNip

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey- View Post
I love how 'PC gamers' are raving about The Witcher 2's combat - which doesn't allow you to heal, and forces you to strategize - but as soon as another game does the same thing it's garbage. I've about had it with gaming forums. It's just continuos noise.
I dont know witcher 2, haven't played yet.

BUT witcher 1 does have some form of heal.
CYNip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #10
asukhama

Quote:
stop being so short-signtened son.

The reason why it's tolerated in the witcher 2 is because that is the whole preset of the game. You can't go spam potions in TW2 because the game forbids it (it fits the lore that witchers are humans too, that they could also collapse if using to many alchemical brews in a row). That is just the nature of the game. The Witcher also doesn't have a background of being a loot-heavy pure ARPG ....

Dungeon Siege is supposed to be a diablo'ish lootfest where spamming potions for health & mana is the order of the day. It's just how those games are made, each with their respective methodes.

Try seeing things in theire respective context for a change. So please, get your facts straight first and start bashing on "us, whiny pc gamers" later.

Besides Mikey_, it's clear you are just a Witcher hater, according to all the posts you made here and other forums (i.e. Hunted .....). Just trashtalking the witcher and making comparisons with unrelatable games (like the assumption TW2 needs to be a button masher, fantasy cover shooter like Hunted)

Last edited by asukhama: 06-09-2011 at 05:00 AM.
asukhama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #11
t19890204

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukhama View Post
stop being so short-signtened son.

The reason why it's tolerated in the witcher 2 is because that is the whole preset of the game. You can't go spam potions in TW2 because the game forbids it (it fits the lore that witchers are humans too, that they could also collapse if using to many alchemical brews in a row). That is just the nature of the game. The Witcher also doesn't have a background of being a loot-heavy pure ARPG ....

Dungeon Siege is supposed to be a diablo'ish lootfest where spamming potions for health & mana is the order of the day. It's just how those games are made, each with their respective methodes.

Try seeing things in theire respective context for a change. So please, get your facts straight first and start bashing on "us, whiny pc gamers" later.

Besides Mikey_, it's clear you are just a Witcher hater, according to all the posts you made here and other forums (i.e. Hunted .....). Just trashtalking the witcher and making comparisons with unrelatable games (like the assumption TW2 needs to be a button masher, fantasy cover shooter like Hunted)
I agree with u
t19890204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Scudzz

The health system was actually one of my favorite things in the demo. It was a lot better than spamming health pots, for me at least. While playing Titan Quest, Diablo or Torchlight I never really thought much about the need to spam health potions. Now that I've played an ARPG with this alternate health system, I may actually dislike going back to potion spam. It might not affect my enjoyment of said ARPGs either.

In this regard, I have no problem with this ARPG deviating from how it's supposed to be.
Scudzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
Baresark

I felt that it added a lot of tension to the game. I mean, it becomes meaningless when you can just potion up and ram any old horde of guys. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a better thought out plan for when your low on life, you can only run around like a lunatic. They should have put some sort of skill based minigame into the combat where you parry (or some such thing), and it returns some life to you. Or a spell that transfers life for weapons hits, or something. The green orb thing does not work for me at all.

PS. Anjali (spelling?), has an AOE that heals her and hurts enemies in proximity at the same time, it almost feels like cheating because it makes combat easy for her. Combine that with the pet and it seems really easy. The pet takes aggro, or knocks guys down and you can just stand in the flames healing, while using your other much lamer personal heal.
Baresark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
slyfox86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baresark View Post
I felt that it added a lot of tension to the game. I mean, it becomes meaningless when you can just potion up and ram any old horde of guys. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a better thought out plan for when your low on life, you can only run around like a lunatic. They should have put some sort of skill based minigame into the combat where you parry (or some such thing), and it returns some life to you. Or a spell that transfers life for weapons hits, or something. The green orb thing does not work for me at all.

PS. Anjali (spelling?), has an AOE that heals her and hurts enemies in proximity at the same time, it almost feels like cheating because it makes combat easy for her. Combine that with the pet and it seems really easy. The pet takes aggro, or knocks guys down and you can just stand in the flames healing, while using your other much lamer personal heal.
It IS a better idea to scrap the chug poiton thing I agree. But there's a fine line. Hopefully Diablo 3 gets its right (they scraped potions for the most part).

Every character has a cheap move, the combat sounds pretty fun on paper, but the reality is that eventually you will stop using the other stance entirely because 1 skill is all it takes. So you end up auto attacking only to get enough focus to use your infinitely spamable, infinitely OP super move.

Gear with Chaos: Vampire on it allows you to essentially ignore everything. This move adds life steal not only to your normal attack, but to all your spells too. ANY aoe move becomes a powerhouse healing fiasco.

The best gear is hand placed and abundant so it doesn't take long to be unstopably powerful.

Overall it seems like very little effort went into the battle system to make it balanced/ fun/ challenging/ rewarding.

I think they had some good ideas though, with some balance tweaks, more abilities, some need to use multiple stances and in a good game (maybe with pvp/ multiplayer) this type of system could be pretty sweet. The problem is that the rest of the game is probably the most ill conceived up I've ever seen; they took everything that makes arpgs/ rpgs in general, fun, and scraped it and put mediocrity in its place.
slyfox86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
bushwhacker2k

Quote:
Elevates the game, quite frankly. If you can spam pots, it's virtually a cheat.
I actually agree somewhat, not about this particular instance, but that I wish some games were less reliant on potion-chugging.

I do feel like chugging potions nonstop or casting a bland overpowered heal spell oversimplifies things but I definitely remember this being inconvenient, which takes a step toward the right direction and goes too far.
bushwhacker2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Siege series