Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown

Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Aglari

Bomber

Am I missing something? The bomber seems to do barely any damage compared to the other ships, am I doing something wrong? (yes, I am detonating my shots)
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Kiljoy66

I think the bomber is a horrible ship, the weapon is laughable and the alternate is just as much, very little damage from the bubbles and you need to MISS your targets just slightly to detonate them and possibly do decent damage but of course it detonates EVERY shot so you get to start all over while dodging who knows how many bullets.

Even with coop I really don't see what good that ship would do, not much of a 'bomber' if you ask me.
Kiljoy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
xristosx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aglari View Post
Am I missing something? The bomber seems to do barely any damage compared to the other ships, am I doing something wrong? (yes, I am detonating my shots)
From what i can tell it seems to be the worst possible ship, detonating your shots probably do cause more dmg, but for what it does the other ships work way better.
I mean if its shots passed through enemies, that might of been useful, but they dont, so its .

... there must be something else to it
xristosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
zelgaris

It's basically a melee-type ship and If you are into flying toward your death, it's a good choice. When using it this way, it's hard but effective.
zelgaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
Kiljoy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelgaris View Post
It's basically a melee-type ship and If you are into flying toward your death, it's a good choice. When using it this way, it's hard but effective.
I just gave this ship another try on normal just to see if I could figure this damn thing out and all I could figure out is, it is just weak as all hell, nice when you can blow small things up in mass but that's only small crap, hell the beginning walkers in stage 1 take forever to kill it's really quite the sad ship.

Hell the stage 1 boss took ages just trying to get a good amount of bubbles near it to detonate and do pitiful damage for something named 'bomber'.

I guess the 'unique' ships in this game is code for 'useless' since I just don't seem to like ANY of them except maybe the charger ship, the wave cannon one that you can aim is nice but the fact that you don't slow down when you engage the alt fire to aim is a serious PITA.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Ceracryst

I tried out the bomber, and yeah - I didn't get it.

It does a good job wiping out the 1-shot mooks, but it's absolute balls against anything that's tougher. I wonder how much damage detonating the shots does.

If it's actually a good return on damage, maybe the trick is to shoot to the side of the enemy and detonate the shot-strain that way.
Ceracryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
TimrodDX

Honestly, I think they should do away with the Bomber in its current form. What I'd do is something like this:

Current Bomber: Removed.

Charge: Renamed to Bomber. Alt-fire now detonates on impact with an enemy, or upon being shot by primary fire. Explosion does AOE damage and sends out smaller projectiles in a ring, amount depends on how big the "charge ball" is.

New Ship: Renamed to Charge. Acts like the R-9 in R-Type. Primary fire is a mid-damage stream of bullets. Hold alt-fire to charge a beam attack, which gets wider, lasts longer, and does more damage depending on how long the button is held for.
TimrodDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
bankaiuser

I agree. Bomber just sucks
bankaiuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Kiljoy66

I haven't gotten around to trying out the 'buffed' bomber, is it still about as useless as it was in release?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Giest118

... Yeah, the bomber still pretty much sucks.

Developers, I have a suggestion. Ditch the "detonateable shots" idea. Instead, have the basic shot be some average firepower, while the special shot is a single bomb that, on impact, does a large amount of damage over a big area. The catch is that if you use the bomb, you're unable to attack for a short period of time. So, very powerful, but you need to make your shots count.
Giest118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
DanDead

Beam and Charge are the only two ships worth using in my opinion. Charge is espeically good for killing big ships, espeically bosses as it's charge attack can destroy any boss form in two shots.
DanDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
Tulipopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDead View Post
Beam and Charge are the only two ships worth using in my opinion.
Gunner is great as well, maybe you haven't gotten good at using it yet.
Tulipopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
DanDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulipopa View Post
Gunner is great as well, maybe you haven't gotten good at using it yet.
I did not find much of a point for Gunner to be brutaly honest. You rarely need to attack from the sides or behind and the directional gun itself does not do as much damage as a gaint laser beam or the charge shot.

Another annoying thing is that you can not slow the ship down to dodge tight bullet paterns. The same can be said for charge but you can fire then move out the way in time, I have yet to manage to pull that off effectively with the gunner ship.

Something that would be awesome is if you could control the gunner with the right annoluge stick. That would make using it a lot less fiddly that's for sure.
DanDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Tulipopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDead View Post
Something that would be awesome is if you could control the gunner with the right annoluge stick. That would make using it a lot less fiddly that's for sure.
Some people think that that would be overpowering.
Also it wouldn't work on the mouse or on the keyboard at all, which would make it unfair for those who don't play with a gamepad.
Tulipopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
teQ

Bomber as it is is an awful ship.

Gunner, in my opinion, is by far the best ship to use in most situations. It has the potential to attack from any position on the screen. The beam and charge ships are good but when you have things behind you homing in there is no possible way to get rid of them unless you have a gap in the bullets or a vaunt to use.
teQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown