Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown

Old 06-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #16
goldenStu

Just tried the Bomber an the first stage on normal. It's horrible.

I agree that its bullets should pierce enemy ships (or at least a limited number of them). Also it could need one or two extra bullet-streams shooting sideways (or moving from side to side). Otherwise all it can do is deal mediocre damage right to the front, but that's what the Charger is for.
The only way it seemed to be slightly useful is when straying from left to right to get rid of some small enemies, but when facing a single big ship there's nothing it can do.

The Bomber would make multiplayer a bit awkward, because the one guy who's to slow to get the other ships will be the weak link in the chain.
goldenStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Tulipopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenStu View Post
The Bomber would make multiplayer a bit awkward, because the one guy who's to slow to get the other ships will be the weak link in the chain.
You can choose the same ship, so it's not a problem at all (unless going for achievement).

Before I had bomber, I thought it would shoot a one big bullet (like charger) and then explode it into smaller ones (like the yellow flowers in 2nd stage). Sadly this wasn't the case.

Last edited by Tulipopa: 06-14-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Tulipopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
goldenStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulipopa View Post
You can choose the same ship, so it's not a problem at all (unless going for achievement).
Oh, OK then. Although it's still a pity that it'll keep players from choosing a diverse team where everyone has a special role to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulipopa View Post
Before I had bomber, I thought it would shoot a one big bullet (like charger) and then explode it into smaller ones (like the yellow flowers in 2nd stage). Sadly this wasn't the case.
Agreed. I expected the Bomber to do what the Charger does, and I expected the Charger to - you know - charge something (well, it charges the bombs, but automatically).
The "Detonator" would have probably a more predictable name.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
A7A

Let the score boards do the talking! :P At least in the long run. Until then we can discuss very much indeed! To me gunner seems best, at least until has knows where every enemy is, and then I guess the original ship is perhaps better.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Gerk

Bomber was actually really useful on one of the challenge levels (where you are surrounded by large enemies, and they're lined up vertically where you can detonate and kill like 4 at once.)

If they changed the Bomber's shot to a 3-way spread I think that'd make all the difference. They could lower the explosion damage, for all I care there.
Gerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
A7A

Speaking of challenge levels, how does one get more than one star on them!?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #22
goldenStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7A View Post
Let the score boards do the talking! :P At least in the long run. Until then we can discuss very much indeed!
Let's hope this game gains a bit of a following for good leaderboards to happen. there doesn't seem to be anything like this on Steam, which is both good (no alternatives for genre-fans) and bad (most Steam-users not used to the genre).

Quote:
To me gunner seems best, at least until has knows where every enemy is, and then I guess the original ship is perhaps better.
i like it how the Gunner can hit almost everything an the screen no matter where it is. But I just love how the Charger's bombs deal major damage while I'm on the other side of the field (moving targets are a pain in the tough).
The Beam-Ship is good too, but kinda boring because it's the standard for every shmup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
If they changed the Bomber's shot to a 3-way spread I think that'd make all the difference.
The Bomber's pitiful 1-line-shot is the one thing where I wonder WTH the developers where thinking. I could see the point if it did tons of damage, but it obviously doesn't (and if it did it would be too similar to the Charger).
Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #23
Gerk

Quote:
Speaking of challenge levels, how does one get more than one star on them!?
That's top secret info. But here's a hint: notice how all the empty star slots are occupied by icons of 2 people, and 3 people, and 4 people....
Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
RaceCondition

The bomber is invaluable for many of the challenge levels.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
Kiljoy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCondition View Post
If that's all that ship is good for then don't you think that is enough of a hint that the ship is all around useless?
Kiljoy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #26
TrevHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCondition View Post
Yes you are correct, if you hold down the special button and point blank its very handy for killing enemies very quickly before they shoot at you.

I havnt used the patched version in the main game but im sure it can be usefull if applied in the same manner. It should totally pwn the bosses.
TrevHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #27
A7A

Point blanking is good once one knows where stuff is on the screen, i.e when one has memorized enemy placement. But there is so much stuff on screen most of the time that I wonder if one can even destroy everything and take all the nuts and bolts. Gunner is good at survival when you're at my level of skill (having unlocked judgement, but only played 2-3 hours and will come home tomorrow and try to see how far I will get on gauntlet legendary).

Goldenstu: I wonder what the beta testers said about the different ships. Or were they afraid to show that they sucked with something other than beam and thus decided to say something along the lines of "ehh, well yeah, it's good, I guess...".

Gerk: Ohhhh.... ^^; Didn't see it was people, I just saw some kind of symbol, thought it represented a medal of some sort and perhaps thought it had something to do with ships, or difficulty, or how good ones performance was.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #28
Gerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teQ View Post
The beam and charge ships are good but when you have things behind you homing in there is no possible way to get rid of them unless you have a gap in the bullets or a vaunt to use.
I'm assuming you are talking about the homing saucers on Level 3...

When firing the beam, you have a sort of "aura" around your craft, damaging everything in close proximity to you (this actually stacks with the beam itself, allowing you to quickly dispatch large enemies and bosses when activating Vaunt or respawning.) Unfortunately, it's not as announced as it is in some other games (particularly DoDonPachi) so you have to know it's there...AND BELIIIIIIEEEEEVE

But, as for Charge? Yeah, it's kinda gimped in that regard.

EDIT: Whoops, super-late to the party here.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #29
Merkoth

Actually, I've found Charge to be extremely useful for taking down big targets. I've been playing most of the game with my gf (we're haven't made it to the last mission yet) and a team of Beam + Charge has proven (mostly) successful.

Bomber seems to do a lot of damage on close range, but it felt very limited to me.
Merkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #30
HydrogenHuman

This is why I'm wondering if the developers should put in power ups into the game. The one thing the bomber lacks is an effective regular shot. I understand that the point of the bomber is to "bomb" things by going directly over enemies but at certain points in the game it's suicidal.

I think all ships should start off with a reduced regular shot like in a lot of shmups. For example, gunner will start off with a 3 spread shot, then you grab a power up and it goes to 4, 5, 6, and so on. The bomber will start off with 1 shot, then go to 1, 2, 3, and 4.

It's not a perfect solution by any means, but I just don't see another effective way to make the bomber intriguing to play. Unless they made the bomber's vaunt shield last longer than the other ships. That would make it interesting.
HydrogenHuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown