Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Still Life series

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Metal85

no widescreen support

as the title pretty much says.
any one knows how to change that? the game starts up, but my monitor has a problem with the resolution of the game that it comes up with a damn window saying "NO OPTIMUM MODE. OPTIMUM MODE 1920x1080". so after 30 sec my monitor just gets black and this little win warning from the monitor just moves slowly around.

have a 16:9 widescreen monitor. 1920x1080 resolution. win 7 32bit. the game as such works fine.

Last edited by Metal85: 06-08-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Melissia

Same problem. I would prefer a 1360x768 resolution myself. I use windows XP.
Melissia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
nilkilla

sadly, from what i can tell the actual devs are gone, the websire for the game ranges between a 404 error and what looks like a bought out and butchered web portal(this is the one linked from microids site and it is flat out trying to sell you the portal/hacked version of game).

i'll be looking for widescreen updates, and let you know if i find anything!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
colorado

I have an Nvidia card and for me the game just automatically "stretched" the image from 4:3 to widescreen. So it fills the screen, but it's stretched rather than being a true 16:10 image.

I suspect whether it will stretch 4:3 images to fit your screen is something that is determined by your video card drivers rather than any in game options (I'm pretty sure the Nvidia control panel has an option somewhere as to whether you want to keep the original aspect ratio of games or not, but I can't find it at the moment. And ATI cards probably have a similar option). But even though the game doesn't have much for video settings, try messing with your video card driver profile for the game (both Nvidia and ATI have game specific profiles that you can set up resolutions and settings for) and you might be able to alter stuff from there.

But this game was designed to be 4:3, so it's really impossible to alter it to be a true widescreen image. With most older entirely 3D games it's easy to get a true widescreen aspect ratio as the game is rendered on the fly so changing the screen ratio is pretty easy, but since Still Life uses prerendered 2D backgrounds that were designed for 4:3, there's really nothing you can do about it.

Last edited by colorado: 07-02-2011 at 10:32 PM.
colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Still Life series