Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Duke Nukem Forever

Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
netvisionary

Lightbulb How to fix Load Times in Duke Nukem Forever (on dual-core)

I had atrocious load times of 1 to 2 minutes, despite being installed on an SSD. These load times made me stop playing b/c after every death same horrendous loading screen.

I set the affinity of steam.exe to cpu 1 and set it's priority to low.

After this procedure I have load times of 4 to 5 seconds.

This applies to a dual-core system. I heard on quad-core systems the problem does not occur.

Launch Steam normally, then launch Duke Nukem. Press control-alt-del to go to the task manager. Right click on Steam to go to process. After you're done windows-tab back to the Duke.

Important: set Steam priority only after DNF is launched. If you do it before launching DNF or launching DNF for the second time the game hangs. To remedy that, exit Steam and then retry.

Last edited by netvisionary: 06-15-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: new information
Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
turtlesoup

this could have something to do with the fact that amd dual optimiser gets installed even on intels. I'm positive that the amd driver is not interfering at all, but it's an obvious sign they didn't bother to do proper detection at some or all points.
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Duke Nukem Forever