Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown

Old 06-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
p4r4n01d

Banned
What does "special" mean when it comes up?

I still dont know what that means, can I make it happen? Explain please.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
p4r4n01d

Banned
And if anyone has any other little tips then add them. I noticed that when your x2 ends it gives you a small total, can we use that to any advantage or should we stay x2 for as long as possible?
Also before while in that mode if getting bombarded I sometimes have to hit space bar again to get the bubble to absorb the bullets. Thanks in advance to any help about "special".
p4r4n01d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Veracity

You blew up a target in a special way. It gives you bonus points and drops more gold. Play some challenge stages - the score quota ones are tutorials on how to trigger this for particular enemies. Off the top of my head: bombs (and those orange plants that function similarly) when they're about to explode, hoppers in mid-air, flying four-gun platforms by shooting the guns off first (use primary shot), those things with three jars in a triangle round them by shooting the jars off first (have fun getting the one above it), blobby things with satellites by destroying all the satellites first.

(edit) Oh, and trains by blowing up the engine last. I think that was the first tutorial.

As far as I can see, for scoring purposes you want to vaunt as early as possible (as long as there's more gold incoming, anyway) and keep it up as long as possible. You're throwing away the chance to cancel some bullets by doing that, but the points from that seem (intuitively, haven't actually tried to verify this) too negligible ever to be worth the trouble even if you catch a big cluster. Canceling vaunt manually makes sense only if you need the small shield it gives you, since it (iirc) halves the bonus. It's better than dying in vaunt, mind, as that costs you the entire bonus.

Last edited by Veracity: 06-14-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Veracity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Rhylos

Cancelling your vaunt is for survivability; not something you'd do if going for a high score.
Rhylos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
T_hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
those things with three jars in a triangle round them by shooting the jars off first (have fun getting the one above it)
The Gunner can get the jar above the ship just fine. Gunner is the ship to use for any serious kind of scoring.
T_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown