Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
DerivitivKahn

Angry Activating Origin games in Steam?

So after being convinced by several sources that American Mcgees Alice Madness Returns was NOT going to be on steam, I purchased Alice 2 through Origin. Now I see its on steam...and well....I'm steamed about it. I prefer my games to all be on steam.

So can I enter the serial from origin into steam and activate alice through steam?

This was pretty ty of EA, Steam Rules, Origin Blows.

Finding this out at work which is why i havent simply tried it, which i will once i return home.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
ChaosBahamut

You can't. You CAN add the game to your Steam library as a shortcut though and run it through Steam that way. You'll be able to get access to the Steam in-game overlay if you do so.
ChaosBahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Washell

You can however active EA games from Steam on Origin...
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
DerivitivKahn

well....that blows, guess ill be watching steam sales to get it on my steam account. Bastards!

Yeah adding non steam games makes for a really ugly icon, I dont really care about the overlay, its just the whole one client for everything thing with me. I like just installing steam when i reformat. But whatever, no point in getting mad about it. Next time I'll be more patient.
DerivitivKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
Thats handy for EA isn't it? Would be nice if they made it work both ways.
Sierra Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
schnitzeljaeger

Quote:
a few of them...
schnitzeljaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
NorthernKingdom

Banned
Quote:
I prefer my games to all be on steam.
Why?

You are using a computer that can run simultaneous tasks so efficiently there isn't any inconvenience to the user. Does the box really determine the enjoyment you can have of what's inside of it?
NorthernKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
cylon

A game i bought on Steam is sitting in my EA downloader and can be downloaded and installed completely separate of Steam if i so wish or if steam goes down.

That's handy :P
I'm assuming it's because in the game you have to log into an EA account, so it "knew" i owned the game.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernKingdom View Post
Why?

You are using a computer that can run simultaneous tasks so efficiently there isn't any inconvenience to the user. Does the box really determine the enjoyment you can have of what's inside of it?
Some people prefer to have all of their games bundled together under the one client for, above all, ease of access reasons.
Sierra Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernKingdom View Post
Why?

Exactly here is some rep!
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
KageTsuki

Well, I have most of my games on Steam however I also have around 20+ games in Origin and have no problems using it, since I generally can play the games I have on Origin without booting the Origin client. I also have some games on GOG :P.
KageTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
WraithTDK

Quote:
Wait, what? Seriously? If they're activated on Origin, are they then removed from you Steam account?
WraithTDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Only if you push the issue, they didn't want to for me and said there activation server was down and still haven't.

Quote:
Discussion Thread
Chat Transcript 06/16/2011 01:15 AM
'Steven' has joined the chat.
User: Can I add my steam ea games to my ea account and get an origin account?
Steven: Sorry but we would not be able to do it.
User:
SO you can't register games you got on steam?
Steven: Sorry but no.
User:
Some of my steam registered games are on my ea account though, so how does that work?
Steven: May I know the game you want to add to the origin?
User:
MASS effect 1 and 2
User:
as well as my other EA games, I have over 350 games on steam and many are EA
User:
Also my C&C4 doesn't work , it cuts me of as soon as I try to play, It lost and the firewall allows it. That isn't on steam
Steven: Ok.
Steven: In order to assist you further, I will need to escalate your issue to our Tier 2 chat support team. This may take a few moments as the agent reviews the incident history to better assist you.
User:
It ia associated with XiteMe profile
Steven: Is it ok with you?
User:
Sure
'Steven' disconnected ('Transferred to Queue').
Hi, my name is Eric B.. How may I help you?
User:
sec phone
Eric B.: Please give me a moment while I review the Chat Log so that I can understand exactly what the issue you are having is today and the troubleshooting steps that have already been done. Your time is very valuable to me and I do not want to waste it by doing troubleshooting steps we have already followed through with. Please take note of the following Chat ID: 802694. This will be very important if you happen to get disconnected anytime during this chat or need to refer back to this same issue. You can always get back in contact with Live Chat and give the next Agent your ID so you do not need to re-explain anything.
User:
back
Eric B.: I see that you have some questions about Steam games?
User:
Yes
User:
some are registered here
Eric B.: You want to know if you can take the Steam games and put them in an Origin account?
User:
I was wondering what is happening with accounts and stuff, and I was thinking that origin might make my EA games easier to use with a single login.
User:
Okay, do I have to get all the keys
Eric B.: We would not be able to switch all of your games over, no
User:
Or can I prove it's my steam account and you can just add them all
User:
Of course not none EA games
Eric B.: I would not be able to, I am very sorry about that
User: Only the ea games or is there some restrictions on ea games as well?
Eric B.: We just do not support Steam versioned games
User:
So what do I do then?
User:
Do the games I have registered on ea go onto my origin account?
Eric B.: If you purchased them from EA, yes
User:
So they have to be purchased from EA only and not retail or elswhere
Eric B.: Yes, from EA
User:
Damn so that means I can't add any of my EA games at all?
Eric B.: What games are they. Some older games, you wouldn't be able to add
Eric B.: are you still there?
User:
yes
User:
just got busy
Eric B.: What games are they. Some older games, you wouldn't be able to add.
User:
Mass effect 1 and 2
Eric B.: I would like you to follow the instructions below to take a screen shot of the CD Key inside of Steam for me: 1. Open up Steam 2. Click on your Library at the top of Steam 3. Right click on the Game inside your Library 4. Select the option to View game CD key 5. Go ahead and take a screen shot of the CD Key Window, the game showing inside your Steam Library, and my chat window behind Steam still slowing my last message I sent you. To take the screen shot and upload it to the chat I would like you to follow the instructions below: 1. Click the 'START' button. 2. Choose 'RUN'. 3. Type 'MSPAINT' in the text field. 4. Click the [OK] button and Microsoft Paint will open. 5. Once PAINT has opened, click the 'EDIT' menu and click 'PASTE'. 6. It may ask if you want to enlarge the bitmap, go ahead and click YES. 7. Once the screen appears, click 'File' on the top menu, then 'Save' 8. Give the file a name, and choose '.jpg' or 'jpeg' as the file type. 9. Click [save] and make sure to save the file somewhere on your computer where you can find it. 10. Go ahead and upload the screenshot to the Live Chat by pressing the Attach button.
Eric B.: For both of the games
User:
crysis crysis warhead
Eric B.: Please follow the instructions I provided you with
User:
ok doing
Eric B.: thank you
Eric B.: I could add it your account, but at the time, our tools to add codes to account is down. I am very sorry about that. you will need to contact us back at a later time. But I will put the note on your account for you
User:
OK thanks
Eric B.: well thanks for chatting with me and I was glad I was able to help you. You should be getting a survey in your e-mail for our chat and if you could fill that out it would be great. I will also be sending you an e-mail with the chat log in it. You can go ahead and press the disconnect button to exit the chat. Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Live Chat. Have a great day!
User:
later mate
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips