Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Duke Nukem Forever

Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
netnerd85

Duke Nukem Forever exposes crap reviewers - 100 reviews compared

Here's an interesting read: Duke Nukem Forever exposes crap reviewers - 100 reviews compared
Old 06-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Clord

Blogger with "I'm right, so they must be wrong" attitude.

Combine that with "Because their opinions don't match to my ones, I must show how wrong they are in Internet".

Last edited by Clord: 06-18-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Clord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
netnerd85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clord View Post
It's not about that. We all know what a 3/10 game looks like. It's like Hour of Victory or ... that's the only game I can think of right now that's been REALLY bad.

Duke Nukem Forever provoked an emotional response rather than an objective one, the reviewers that did so need to be punished/fired. Might seem extreme but they took their responsibility too lightly.

Places like PC Gamer and Eurogamer should have a higher standard. They are the last places I went to view reviews... not sure I will bother in the future.
netnerd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Zero989

doesnt change the fact that the game is still crap.
Zero989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
tinsteelviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero989 View Post
Doesn't change the fact that the game is fun.

opinions
tinsteelviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
i'm Batman

there<s a difference between crap... and a pile of . 3 is a pile of ... 5 is crap ... 6 is not bad... 7 good... 8 very good... 9 awesome....10 buy it or i will for you.
i'm Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
netnerd85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero989 View Post
Your opinion doesn't make it "a fact" for everyone, just you.

For me, it's "a fact" that the game is FUN

Feel free to state what you didn't like about it, perhaps a pros/cons list?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Metal85

i dont believe in the reviews anyway.
i dint like them game. the more i played it, the less i had fun with it. sure has its funny moments but i just coulndt enjoy the game as such.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
hal859

I don't know.. that's a bit extreme with the charts and all that. I think anyone that has actually played the game knows without a doubt that a real journalism injustice has been committed against Duke. I totally understand the lukewarm reviews, but those 3's and 4's are a crime.
hal859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Freeman45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal85 View Post
i dint like them game. the more i played it, the less i had fun with it. sure has its funny moments but i just coulndt enjoy the game as such.
x2, I haven't read a reivew in years, and after an hour, it became a chore to finish the game.
Freeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
xXJayeDuBXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by netnerd85 View Post
It's actually not an interesting read at all. It's a clear example of someone trying to justify their opinion about a game by creating an argument that negative opinions are not objective, which has made his argument rather subjective in nature.

Quote:
It's not about that. We all know what a 3/10 game looks like. It's like Hour of Victory or ... that's the only game I can think of right now that's been REALLY bad.

Duke Nukem Forever provoked an emotional response rather than an objective one, the reviewers that did so need to be punished/fired. Might seem extreme but they took their responsibility too lightly.

Places like PC Gamer and Eurogamer should have a higher standard. They are the last places I went to view reviews... not sure I will bother in the future.
An emotional response? Are you kidding me? Other than the review score, do you any facts to back up that statement or is this just an emotional response to bad review scores for a game you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal85 View Post
I quoted you because I have no idea what you are trying to say.
xXJayeDuBXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
Infinite XĂr0

eh.. there's always issues with giving numerical scores for game reviews, because criteria for earning or taking away points are almost never explicitly defined. Another problem is that there's no absolute benchmark for what constitutes a "perfect", 100/100 game. The only thing that reviewers can do is give relative comparisons to other games, which, depending on what games they do choose, could drastically change their score. Well, that and they just kinda eyeball the score based on how the "feel" about the game.. Reviews would be better if they were more about analysis rather than emotional evaluation. In the interests of the prospective customer, it's better to break down the product in question, present the constituent parts for what they are, and then let the customer decide whether or not they like what they see. Emotion need not be part of the process, to eliminate as much bias as possible.
Infinite XĂr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
ariccatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clord View Post

Combine that with "Because their opinions don't match to my ones, I must show how wrong they are in Internet".
Actually, if you really read it you notice he calls out both the reviewers who gave it an ungodly low score that doesn't mesh with other reviews of similar games, and the ones that gave it an ungodly high score.

He even opens with the premise that it's not a great game.

What he is saying is there are clearly a list of reviewers who just want to vote it down or vote it up and it really has nothing to do with game quality.

Which isn't a surprise to any of us who have been doing this long.

Last edited by ariccatron: 06-18-2011 at 11:28 AM.
ariccatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
netnerd85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite XĂr0 View Post
eh.. there's always issues with giving numerical scores for game reviews, because criteria for earning or taking away points are almost never explicitly defined. Another problem is that there's no absolute benchmark for what constitutes a "perfect", 100/100 game. The only thing that reviewers can do is give relative comparisons to other games, which, depending on what games they do choose, could drastically change their score. Well, that and they just kinda eyeball the score based on how the "feel" about the game.. Reviews would be better if they were more about analysis rather than emotional evaluation. In the interests of the prospective customer, it's better to break down the product in question, present the constituent parts for what they are, and then let the customer decide whether or not they like what they see. Emotion need not be part of the process, to eliminate as much bias as possible.
Could not agree more , it's exactly what I'll be doing in the near future. I really don't like review scores or comparisons to other games, comparing to games in the same series is fine but most games are vastly different.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
xXJayeDuBXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariccatron View Post
What he is saying is there are clearly a list of reviewers who just want to vote it down or vote it up and it really has nothing to do with game quality.

Which isn't a surprise to any of us who have been doing this long.
And the basis for your accusation is what exactly? In all those reviews with low scores was there something in them you read that gave you an indication of this? You mention the quality of the game, apparently there quite a few reviewers who believe the quality is not good.

Quote:
Could not agree more , it's exactly what I'll be doing in the near future. I really don't like review scores or comparisons to other games, comparing to games in the same series is fine but most games are vastly different.
That's all well and good, but if you don't like review scores then why create this thread? What was the point? To call out some reviewers or shed light on a perceived problem? The fact is you do care when it concerns a game you enjoy.
xXJayeDuBXx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Duke Nukem Forever