Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Boricua

Code to free PC version of Portal 2 not working...

I had purchased "Portal 2" for the PS3 because of the Steam integration and because I was also getting the PC version for free. I popped in the disc to my PS3 and created my account, then after I finished downloading steam unto my laptop, I concluded the account building process there. Afterwards, I followed the directions of the code packet in order to get my free acess of "Portal 2" on my PC. After I had put the code in however, I was told that the code was invalid because it had already been used by a different account, which is strange since I bought this game brand new from Gamestop. I would really like my free PC version of "Portal 2", so how can this problem be solved? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Boricua: 06-20-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Emphasis

Old 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
MutantMonkey

These forums are not really viewed by anyone at Valve that can resolve this. You need to head over to Support for that.
MutantMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Boricua

Lol, I already did. I just posted this out of the slim possibility that there was someone here that could help me so I could resolve it faster.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
MustardJeep

If you registered it on your laptop all you should have to do is click install in steam on your pc and it will download it and run for you.

Contact steam support for a double check if it is asking you to reenter your license. Once they are entered it doesn't matter where you log into your account from you can always access it. (If your PC was under a different account then you setup on your laptop, maybe?)

If Steam still asks for the code again AND your on the account you originally registered portal on ASAP take a screen shot of the error message saying the code has already been used and go back to gamestop and demand a refund or exchange for a genuinely "new" copy. Gamestop is really bad about re-shrink wrapping things.

Once the license code PC/PS3 is bound to a steam account that's that, there are no "used" copies of portal 2 in the PS3 bundle. It's good anti fraud but people were ripping of retailers early on registering the PC copy and returning the hardcopy PS3 disk package.
MustardJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Boricua

That's the thing though, Portal 2 isn't on my PC at all because Steam won't accept the voucher for the free PC version. It says it's because that code has already been used by another account.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
MustardJeep

Then someone registered it before you.

Take it back to gamestop and demand a actual "new" copy I doubt Valve/Steam would do something even if you had pictures of all the intact seals.

As I said before there are no "used" copies of games on steam once their license key is registered. Person A can register the key on Steam and sell their hard copy to person B, Person B can't register the license as theirs on Steam because it is already registered to Person A. It's anti-fraud Valve knows people steal hard-copies, so there is no mechanism to remove a license key from a account. Especially by the second party.

Your best bet is going back to GameStop and demanding a clean copy, and make sure all of the PS3 seals are intact not just that it is shrink wrapped. Portal 2 has been very expensive to retailers because of this fraud, most places I use will not take a open copy because at this point they all know it's worthless once it's been registered on steam.
MustardJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Boricua

If I don't get a response from Valve (or if I do and it doesn't solve my problem), then I'll definitely do that. It's really strange though because I demanded a new copy. They told me it wasn't used. Anyways, thanks for your help.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
MutantMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
If I don't get a response from Valve (or if I do and it doesn't solve my problem), then I'll definitely do that. It's really strange though because I demanded a new copy. They told me it wasn't used. Anyways, thanks for your help.
Could have been a victim of a number generator.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Boricua

True...
Old 06-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
bakugov8

Gamestop is a fraud. They probably sold you a used copy.
bakugov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
MutantMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakugov8 View Post
Gamestop is a fraud. They probably sold you a used copy.
If a used copy was bought and the buyer expected the code to still work, I would put some of that fault on the buyer.

Not sure how selling used games makes GameStop a fraud.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Whiplashr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMonkey View Post
If a used copy was bought and the buyer expected the code to still work, I would put some of that fault on the buyer.

Not sure how selling used games makes GameStop a fraud.
Wow.

He's suggesting that they repackage used games as new. And sell them as if they are new. Hence, the fraud.
Whiplashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
MutantMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashr View Post
Wow.

He's suggesting that they repackage used games as new. And sell them as if they are new. Hence, the fraud.
There is no benefit to package a used game as new. The store would actually lose money and in the process would create a nasty inventory problem.

GS would much rather sell you a used game as they make more money off of it.

EDIT: GS also does not sell used games shrink-wrapped. However, if you do get a shrink-wrapped game, it would be extremely noticeable as the material is completely different than what games are usually placed in.

Last edited by MutantMonkey: 06-21-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
TheDude7053

Shrink Wrap is key here when you go back to gamestop and ask for a new copy
TheDude7053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Synthony

Talking

I had the same problem when I got mine. I just sent Support a complaint with a photo of the voucher and my receipt, and they activated it on my account.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2