Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
myboyblue

Multiplayer lag fix?

I've been having an issue hosting multiplayer on my PC due to huge lag when I'm the host. My internet connection is on par with my other friends who host a game and everything is fine.

I've done a good bit of trial and error to see if I could figure this out. What I have found was all my friends who have hosted the game have vista or windows 7, where each computer I have used to host a dedicated server has windows XP. And to make sure it wasn't my router, I used another computer with vista (same router) to host a dedicated server and everyone had minimal lag, just like my friend's hosting.

So I wanted to ask if anyone who is having terrible lag when hosting is also simply using windows XP, or if it's something more complicated than that. Or the flip side- is anyone hosting terraria without lag that is using windows XP?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
CaptainDingo

This appears to be a problem with the software.

The game didn't used to lag for the host in earlier versions at all, but now even as the host I get the teleporting enemies issues.
CaptainDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
CammoDude

You may also may want to consider your upload speed. I'm getting ready to move and subscribe to my own private internet service. In order to get the upload speeds I want/need, I have to go for the top tier plan. Still, the download/upload ratio is pretty skewed (as normal with consumer grade connections): 10/1.

It would be good to check what your upload speed is. If you don't know, give one of these tests a run.
CammoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
myboyblue

I already know my speeds. download is around 4 Mbps and upload is just over 700 Kbps. Other people I play online with have identical download/upload speeds and host a game just fine. And like I mentioned before, I use a few different computers on the same router and I get completely different results. The common link of bad hosting is using XP, and the better results is a considerably lower power laptop with vista.

I'm not saying using XP is proof that this is the issue, it's just a correlation I'm seeing on my own trial and error. Tomorrow I will use a different router just to see if that has any bearing on the results; and I will post any new findings.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
CaptainDingo

I use Windows 7 64-bit, by the way. So XP doesn't seem to be the common link (anymore).

Unless our lag is different. With mine, I basically lag the same way someone remotely would if they connected. Teleporting enemies and things like that. Makes absolutely no sense, because it should take exactly 0 milliseconds for data to go from my computer to my computer.
CaptainDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Liath_WW

Same issue here

Well, I've been looking into this, and there appears to be a definite link to XP and lag in Terraria. I've tested this in multiple locations and Windows versions, and the only time we've had horrid warpy lag is when the host was running XP.

There is either something with XP and .NET/XNA, or there is something with the server software. Either way, Don't host on XP. Your friends will hate you for it.
Liath_WW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria