Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alice: Madness Returns

Old 06-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
hellos1357

Alice Madness Returns: Unlock Dress and Weapon DLC

Hey all,

I just happened on a post on another forum. The dress and weapon DLC that can be found on the 360 and PS3 versions of the game can be unlocked!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/95826...turns/59443799

The third post tells you how to do it.
I confirm that it works.
You still do not get the original Alice Game, but you get the dresses and weapons.

Another example of EA hiding DLC from paying customers for the PC.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
hellos1357

Please post as well if you get it to work.
hellos1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Graeystone

Yeah, it works except for running Alice 1 of course.
Graeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
PrivateCowboy

Is their a way to transplant Alice 1 into it so its playable?
PrivateCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
woolerland

lol? Very NICE find!

the thing is that EA didn't really hide it that well, any noddy could find it to be honest which makes me wonder if this was done on purpose and this explains why the DLC isn't on sale.

also wasn't the extra stuff advertised as exclusive or something? EA could argue that it's an exploit thus the pre-orders won't have a case for getting ripped off.

but if EA does fix it... we'll have to think... whats more important extra items vs. less bugs.

(not saying the game is buggy but thats what patches usually do.... fix found bugs after release)
woolerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Graeystone

Haven't had any bugs so won't complain. . .'sides, even if the line is removed from the .ini file, it could probably be put right back in by the gamer.
On top of that, if EA tinkers with the rest of the game to remove the bonuses, they'd have to do two sets of patches(to fix the regular bug fixes) - one for the origin pre-order version to protect it and one to permanently disable the other version. . .think that would anger quite a lot of people in the long run.
Graeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
woolerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeystone View Post
Haven't had any bugs so won't complain. . .'sides, even if the line is removed from the .ini file, it could probably be put right back in by the gamer.
On top of that, if EA tinkers with the rest of the game to remove the bonuses, they'd have to do two sets of patches(to fix the regular bug fixes) - one for the origin pre-order version to protect it and one to permanently disable the other version. . .think that would anger quite a lot of people in the long run.
yes but EA don't really care about angry pc gamers, firstly because we have no spine to do a boycott (just saying ) and they've already prooved this by pulling crysis 2 off steam, that angered gamers but EA didn't care.
anyway, i'm not gna update my version until confirmination of the the bonuses are still in so it'll won't bother me

p.s. guys please don't turn this into a hate thread for Ea.

Last edited by woolerland: 06-24-2011 at 02:15 PM.
woolerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
XaresAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolerland View Post
yes but EA don't really care about angry pc gamers, firstly because we have no spine to do a boycott (just saying ) and they've already prooved this by pulling crysis 2 off steam, that angered gamers but EA didn't care.
anyway, i'm not gna update my version until confirmination of the the bonuses are still in so it'll won't bother me

p.s. guys please don't turn this into a hate thread for Ea.
Crytek didn't give Steam the rights to the DLC.
Hence Steam knew it violated something and took it off. EA had nothing to do with pulling of Crysis 2.
XaresAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
Teh_Saccade

American McGee's Alice works fine on my PC with Win7x64, doesn't work with the pre-build of Win8 though (tbh, I'm not impressed by the new desktop design of Win8 - it's kinda how vista was to XP [ie, ])

However, I can't get it to run in the Alice: Madness Returns game as Idk how to install and config. the files for that.

The "new" dresses and stuff aren't great and look a bit naff.
A:MR is probably as good as the original, of which I still have the disc from about 10 years ago :P
If I hadn't've played the first game, with it's awesome platform action and tricky puzzles (it's harder than A:MR, but most games these days aren't as hard as they were 10 years ago, due to newer gamers being whiners about things like that - Graphics over gameplay! :P), I probably would never have been excited about this one and finally relented and bought it.

The config unlocked all the stuff for me, but after trying them out I prefer to just play the game without - they kinda suck :/

[edit]
Also, the file is called "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alice madness returns\AliceGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini" and not "AliceEngine.ini".
You can also remove the rems ( ;'s ) to skip the intro movies, so you don't have to rename the intro movies, like most other games, to get it to load faster.

Last edited by Teh_Saccade: 06-28-2011 at 05:11 AM. Reason: file name difference
Teh_Saccade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Juanblue85

Super awesome I got it to work sad I can't play Original Alice I may try to play it on Origin but that's a maybe.
Juanblue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
CenturyChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanblue85 View Post
Super awesome I got it to work sad I can't play Original Alice I may try to play it on Origin but that's a maybe.
Im curious if this would trigger Origin to Download the original as well.
Its doubtfull, but worth a try I suppose.

I did talk to EA about the Original a while back, and told the rep I had the Steam version and was willing to purchase the Original.

he said, at that time, if he could he would give it to me right then and there, but sadly it was a Pre-Order only and no longer available at all. But, could be purchased if I had a console, which I do not.

Has anyone heard anything else lately as to if and when we may be able to purchase the original for PC?
CenturyChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
Amander

I've created an automatic tool to unlock the DLC, but the first post was just some flame about editing the config file being easier than using an automated tool and no one else was interested. Is anyone here interested?
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
CenturyChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
I've created an automatic tool to unlock the DLC, but the first post was just some flame about editing the config file being easier than using an automated tool and no one else was interested. Is anyone here interested?
No offense intended ...

But I agree to an extent although no point in being rude about it.
I mean, if someone has issues running a search to find the line and changing False to True, the automated tool might be a bit over thier heads as well.

Wouldn't hurt to offer it though.
CenturyChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
Wulf2k

Any automated tool that will just change a line in an INI is not worth the risk of it doing more to your computer than just changing a line in an INI.
Wulf2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
Juanblue85

I installed the Origin version of the game to see if I could play the original Alice but sadly it turned the TRUE back into FALSE and was locked out of the DLC so I quickly uninstalled the Origin version went back and put it back to TRUE and the DLC returned. Is the Original by chance sold by itself?
Juanblue85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alice: Madness Returns