Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > EVE Online

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Paul Muad'Dib
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 2
Didn't realize this game had a subscription. Wondering how to void the purchase.

As stated in the title I didn't realize it was Pay to Play game until after it prompted me to create an EVE online subscription.

Anyways, I'm just wondering how I can get a refund for this unfortunate purchase.

Thanks in advance
Paul Muad'Dib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Sacre85
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Reputation: 21
Posts: 110
Unfortunately, this is right in the game page on Steam, above the "Buy" button:

Quote:
Notice: Monthly subscription fee required after first month. Product keys will not work with existing EVE Online accounts.
Sacre85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Paul Muad'Dib
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 2
So there is no way to get a refund?
Paul Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
thePyro_13
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Reputation: 157
Posts: 1,764
Your best bet is steam support, but don't count on getting your money back.
thePyro_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Original182
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 64
Posts: 662
You can play the game for free by buying PLEX in the game. PLEX costs about 400m ISK, and lets you play for 30 days.
If you can earn about 400m every 30 days, you can play eve forever.
Original182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Valestrum
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 164
Posts: 241
As said above, you can pay for EvE fairly easily with in-game currency even if you're a noob =p
Valestrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
MrShooter
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 108
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valestrum View Post
As said above, you can pay for EvE fairly easily with in-game currency even if you're a noob =p
Yes, as long as you can vampire years worth of experience from an older eve online player or have the massive talent, motivation, and skillset to understand eve's sickeningly complex economy and turn a 400 million isk profit using your starting isk with a deadline of 1 month on a new game you're not really even sure you actually want to play

easy peasy

(Why am I so terrible at eve online? is it because I didn't grow up with space trade sims?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Muad'Dib View Post
So there is no way to get a refund?
You can try to do a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chargeback if you're particularly desperate, but I doubt valve will be too pleased with you and it will most likely result in being blocked from purchasing things with your account

I'm sorry that this happened to you, try asking for a refund but in the end its probably easier to chalk it up as a loss, like any other game you've purchased on steam and later found out you didn't like

You may as well keep going for your 30 days though, you may even end up changing your mind
MrShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Valestrum
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 164
Posts: 241
You don't have to vampire off other players so much, just find a corp, train for salvaging and buy a cheap ship (all can be done in a few days) then ask to salvage said corps L4's and offer to give them a large portion of the profit you make in return.

A lot of people will gladly let you salvage their L4s, some may even let you have them for free, in which case you can make around 40mil an hour salvaging L4s which adds up very quickly (40mil assuming you don't have to pay them any of the profits)
Valestrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #9
T@T-2-MoNk3y
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Reputation: 5854
Posts: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShooter View Post
You can try to do a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chargeback if you're particularly desperate, but I doubt valve will be too pleased with you and it will most likely result in being blocked from purchasing things with your account
if you try to do a charge back on valve your steam account gets closed - permanently.
T@T-2-MoNk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #10
thePyro_13
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Reputation: 157
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original182 View Post
You can play the game for free by buying PLEX in the game. PLEX costs about 400m ISK, and lets you play for 30 days.
If you can earn about 400m every 30 days, you can play eve forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valestrum View Post
As said above, you can pay for EvE fairly easily with in-game currency even if you're a noob =p
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShooter View Post
Yes, as long as you can vampire years worth of experience from an older eve online player or have the massive talent, motivation, and skillset to understand eve's sickeningly complex economy and turn a 400 million isk profit using your starting isk with a deadline of 1 month on a new game you're not really even sure you actually want to play

easy peasy

(Why am I so terrible at eve online? is it because I didn't grow up with space trade sims?)
Would any of you be willing to start a thread dedicated to the topic of achieving PLEX with a minimal investment of real monies?

Being able to use your success in-game to pay for the subscription is a big draw for many people.

Such a thread would be a shoe-in for sticky and would be a rep magnet.
thePyro_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #11
IrRyo
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
I didnt realise until I bought the game that the sub fees are BRUTAL in Europe/Euros (even if your nation is in Europe but does not use Euros you are charged in them).

1 month sub = €14.95 / £13.31 (£4 more than any other MMO on the market) / $21.30.

I guess I'll be playing my free month and seeing if I have enough ISK to sub at all... if not then it is a big fat 'NO' to subbing for additional months - I'd never support a company that vastly overprices all the competition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #12
Leader Bee
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 15
Posts: 301
400 Mil in a month is not going to happen. See you later 0/
Leader Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #13
Mikouen
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 387
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrRyo View Post
1 month sub = €14.95 / £13.31 (£4 more than any other MMO on the market) / $21.30.
Can't speak for other European currencies, but as far as Sterling rates go that's actually the average for MMOs that charge sub fees in £/€.

Of course, it's still higher than MMOs that charge exclusively in USD.

Regardless, this is just another case where it's apparent that the EU and Euro were mistakes to begin with.
Mikouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
IrRyo
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikouen View Post
Can't speak for other European currencies, but as far as Sterling rates go that's actually the average for MMOs that charge sub fees in £/€.

Of course, it's still higher than MMOs that charge exclusively in USD.

Regardless, this is just another case where it's apparent that the EU and Euro were mistakes to begin with.
For European countries maybe... For UK its generally £9/month (aka in line with the US); WoW = £9/month (£25 for 3), Rift = £9/month, DDO VIP = £9/month, DCUO = £9/month. So yeah, Sterling rates are no where near that high, its almost 50% more than you can expect to pay on average - 2 months Eve sub is about the same as 3months of any other MMO.

That also goes for Eves 'price breaks' at 3/months 6/months etc... around 50% more than competitor MMO's - I guess thats the price for uniqueness, eh? Or rather for being a European as opposed to an American.

Last edited by IrRyo: 06-23-2011 at 09:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #15
b00tsy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 82
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T-2-MoNk3y View Post
if you try to do a charge back on valve your steam account gets closed - permanently.
source? Where is that stated?
b00tsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > EVE Online


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.