Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series

Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Shinobi68

FEAR 3 MP??? Honest Feedback please

I played FEAR when it game out with its modded servers and full glory MP mode with Slo-Mo and some of the funnest fraggin ever. Then FEAR 2 came out and the MP was horrible...no servers..no dedicated servers..no support. When I saw FEAR 3 in the makes I told myself there is no way I would pre-order until it came out.

So I am playing Duke Nukem right now and after purchasing Brink, Homefront, & BLOPs...or yeah and Medal of Honor...all games that would barely work on release day. I was pleasantly surprised that with Duke Nukem Forever I was able to get in...play..join and invite friends..start a server that counted towards rank ups. It actually just works.

So I was a huge fan of F.E.A.R....FEAR 2 majorly let me down in MP...how is FEAR 3 stacking up as a MP game?

Are there servers? Are people playing? Is it worth it or another disaster like FEAR 2?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
dragonmaster31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi68 View Post
I played FEAR when it game out with its modded servers and full glory MP mode with Slo-Mo and some of the funnest fraggin ever. Then FEAR 2 came out and the MP was horrible...no servers..no dedicated servers..no support. When I saw FEAR 3 in the makes I told myself there is no way I would pre-order until it came out.

So I am playing Duke Nukem right now and after purchasing Brink, Homefront, & BLOPs...or yeah and Medal of Honor...all games that would barely work on release day. I was pleasantly surprised that with Duke Nukem Forever I was able to get in...play..join and invite friends..start a server that counted towards rank ups. It actually just works.

So I was a huge fan of F.E.A.R....FEAR 2 majorly let me down in MP...how is FEAR 3 stacking up as a MP game?

Are there servers? Are people playing? Is it worth it or another disaster like FEAR 2?

Thanks
I must ask out of curiosity, why do people think dedicated servers are needed for 4 player co-op? No there are no servers.
dragonmaster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Rumia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaster31 View Post
I must ask out of curiosity, why do people think dedicated servers are needed for 4 player co-op? No there are no servers.
Why not? L4D supports dedicated servers for 4-player. It is common that services run by the company/publisher themselves tends to be pretty bad.
Rumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
dragonmaster31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia View Post
Why not? L4D supports dedicated servers for 4-player. It is common that services run by the company/publisher themselves tends to be pretty bad.
Technically L4D was 8 players total :P. My point is its complete and utter overkill. I understand the need of dedicated severs for larger games such as cod4 and BF2, but something that is just four players it really isn't necessary. I think it falls into the category of something that would be nice to have, but your not gonna notice the difference even if you did. I have sub-par internet (Roadrunner basic I think) and I could host a game of four just fine.
dragonmaster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Fear57

The MP in F.3.A.R. offers four different game modes.

Contractions: Like the Call of Duty zombie survival, players must defend thier base and collect weapon crates and repair barracades inbetween waves.

Soul King: Play as a specter to possess enimes and collect thier souls, the player with the highest soul count wins.

Soul Survivor: Play as F.E.A.R. operatives and try to survives waves (3 min. 5 max.) for the time limit. (3 min. 5 max.) Players can be possessed by specters and must be revived.

F**king run!: Play as F.E.A.R. operatives that must make it to the extraction point within the time limit while killing enimes to escape the Wall of death, if one player is caught by the wall, the game is over.

All of these have the option to Solo Practice, so you can still gain points. However there is not one server in the world on PC for Co-Op or any multiplayer games. I have only seen one server with nobody in it for two days straight and it is now gone.
Fear57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
diogo_cme

Solo Practice is only offering me the Contractions mode...and the host/search functions have been disabled. Anybody having those issues?
diogo_cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Shinobi68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear57 View Post
The MP in F.3.A.R. offers four different game modes.

Contractions: Like the Call of Duty zombie survival, players must defend thier base and collect weapon crates and repair barracades inbetween waves.

Soul King: Play as a specter to possess enimes and collect thier souls, the player with the highest soul count wins.

Soul Survivor: Play as F.E.A.R. operatives and try to survives waves (3 min. 5 max.) for the time limit. (3 min. 5 max.) Players can be possessed by specters and must be revived.

F**king run!: Play as F.E.A.R. operatives that must make it to the extraction point within the time limit while killing enimes to escape the Wall of death, if one player is caught by the wall, the game is over.

All of these have the option to Solo Practice, so you can still gain points. However there is not one server in the world on PC for Co-Op or any multiplayer games. I have only seen one server with nobody in it for two days straight and it is now gone.
Thank you for being the only on so far to answer the question. I guess the others are still in shock to the point where they have to wonder about other things that were not related to the topic.
Shinobi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
lordbarni

Well i tried it a little today, there were only 1 or 2 servers, but ofcourse the game is only out in NA, so i really hope that the multiplayer will be played. From what i've seen, it looked pretty cool. (I only tried Constractions and F**king run! though.) Definitely better then the second FEAR game's MP.
Although if I were you i'd wait a few days for some additional feedback on the players. I really hope that there will be enough of them then.
lordbarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
ZAP99

Banned
Quote:

Thanks

I know where you're coming from. The MP on FEAR 3 is garbage.

As you can see the people that like it, don't even understand the importance of dedicated servers. So i'll mention a couple off the top of my head.

Host will always have advantage.

Can't add mods, new custom maps, etc.

Can't change any of the game settings to have a custom match.

Very hard to have clan matches or tourneys.

CHEATERS! CHEATERS CHEATERS. No way to stop them without dedicated servers. If the host is hacking then what?

Very hard to find matches.

Even with 4 players, ping will be unless all the players live near host.

Im sure I'm missing some points but that is for starters.
ZAP99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Baresark

I have to say, I am having a lot of fun with the multiplayer. My faves are Contractions and F**king Run!. I enjoy coop games more than your standard frag fest personally. I am hoping more people invest in this game because the MP is really fun. Soul King and Soul Survivor are awesome as well. I was pleasantly surprised by it. I don't usually buy games for MP, with the exception of the occasional MP only game such as L4D. So, this is a win. I think it's been worth every cent so far.

Now, while the MP is fun, it has a few problems, for me at least. If no one else is having these problems, then let me know or if you know of a fix, that would be good to. The game supports mics, but everything is always broken up on my end, and I think others have the same thing as well. And, for some reason, it only ever finds like 3 games when I search for MP. I don't know if this is a problem they can patch out, but if they can, I hope they do it soon.

Though, I would like to make this perfectly clear, I have never had any game lag in any MP mode yet. This is the most important part obviously. All the games run smooth and fast paced.

Last edited by Baresark: 06-23-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Baresark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
ZAP99

Banned
Quote:

Thanks
So there was some real people here at one point. Some of the people in this forum act like they get a entirely different game then everybody else. Its only the steam and official forums acting this way. Always need to check other forums as well to get the truth.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
Steakface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaster31 View Post
They're not needed... but they are far superior.
Steakface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Bindal

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAP99 View Post
Host will always have advantage.

Can't add mods, new custom maps, etc.

Can't change any of the game settings to have a custom match.

Very hard to have clan matches or tourneys.

CHEATERS! CHEATERS CHEATERS. No way to stop them without dedicated servers. If the host is hacking then what?

Very hard to find matches.

Even with 4 players, ping will be unless all the players live near host.
1 - What advertage? You're all on the same team, if one has an advertage, EVERYONE gains from it

2 - Wrong. You can do that just fine on local servers as well. How do I know? I did that in other games already.

3 - You can change settings already in the menu...

4 - What kind of Tourney do you want in FEAR3 anyway? Who's the better Fettel? It's a Coop-Game.

5 - Quit? Like... Common sense tells you?

6 - Only for you, currently.

7 - Unless the host as a 56k-connection, you mean. Every other connection should be good enough today to support up to 4 players flawless.
Bindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #14
Nitronumber9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakface View Post
They're not needed... but they are far superior.
For 64 player matches yes, for 4 players? Thats just silly.

Dedicated servers are old tech now. Sure if you were hosting large scale matches they are currently the only option (and still the best), but for small 4 player games, why would you want them? Thats a waste of resources.
This client to server P2P is dreadful, no doubt about that, whoever came up with it needs to make it burn, but P2P as a whole could work, Steam uses it for downloading files, Torrents use it for downloads, why not games for gaming?
Nitronumber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
ZAP99

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronumber9 View Post
For 64 player matches yes, for 4 players? Thats just silly.

Dedicated servers are old tech now. Sure if you were hosting large scale matches they are currently the only option (and still the best), but for small 4 player games, why would you want them? Thats a waste of resources.
This client to server P2P is dreadful, no doubt about that, whoever came up with it needs to make it burn, but P2P as a whole could work, Steam uses it for downloading files, Torrents use it for downloads, why not games for gaming?
"Dedi servers are old tech now"
"dedei servers are for only large scale matches"
"waste of resources" LOL

DO YOU HAVE ANY SOURCE, PROOF,LINK, EVIDENCE AT ALL FOR THIS DRIBBLE?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series