Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Shadowace156

Graphic cards and power supplies

I got kinda a weird question but i have the Raidmax volcano PSU (ty i know but it was cheap at the time(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152026)) with a MSI gtx 560 ti (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JLNZXU) and my computer runs ok and haven't had any real problems but I don't seem to be getting the FPS i should compared to different benchmarks; and was wondering if its possible for a PSU to run a card but not to its full potential if its not powerful enough or if it wasn't powerful enough it would most likely not run at all? I also got a quad core 2.2 and 4 gigs of ram (was thinking about getting another 4 gigs for 8 total but was also wondering if that will make much of a difference?)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
nabokovfan87

IF the PSU was having issues, low FPS wouldn't be the issue. Look for ram timings, the cpu bottleneck or some sort of southbridge issue causing the low frames.

On my board I know when I turned off the integrated graphics completely it gave me a small boost, try that.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
PwrUsr

Banned
Generally it either runs fine, unstable or doesn't work at all. It shouldn't cause it to run fine "but not to its full potential". Performance issues come from elsewhere, but also keep in mind that benchmarks vary quite a bit depending on the rest of the machine, and you can't expect to get exactly the same results.
PwrUsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
stopgap

hi
I've read claims that a not quite up to the task PSU can cost performance, but never really given it much credit. Borrow a better one if you fancy proving/disproving the idea.

Chances are it is something else though. If I was looking to claw some frames back then I'd back up all my data, make sure I had the latest BIOS/firmware for everything, format C:, reinstall Windows and slap on the latest drivers.

If that didn't do it, it'd be time to overclock or upgrade. Or forget about it.
stopgap is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems