Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spiral Knights

Old 06-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Gharon

Unhappy Lag issues only in Spiral Knights

In every other game i play online i usually have around 20-50 ping, yet in Spiral Knights i only ever get 2 yellow bars in the connection meter on the minimap.

It kinda ruins the fun if you try to block enemy attacks with your shield but they go through 90% of the time due to lag... not to mention all the phasing from place to place inside the dungeon while attacking.

One second you are in front of an enemy the next you are 5 steps behind him hitting thin air.

Anyone else getting pretty bad lag in this game?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
starlinvf

What matters is the distance and network quality between you and the server for that game... other games don't really matter. I have less then 10ms to my Terraria server in the other room, but that doesn't help much for someone connecting from Germany, if you catch my drift.

You can try asking your ISP for optimal routing solutions, but results will vary (as in the network engineers will laugh about it).
starlinvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
thezeronumber

As far as i know all of the servers are hosted in America, even if the channel you're on has a different primary language. Because of this, many players elsewhere in the world are experiencing some fairly heavy lag and most actions have a large delay between execution and them taking effect.

I live in England and i'm getting a constant 2-3 bar which results in a lot of dodgy recognition. Sometimes i will teleport backwards when picking up an item, i often get "stuck" on spikes if i attempt to shield when i've clearly just walked off the area they are poking up from, shielding itself has a delay of 0.5-0.8 seconds even though the animation plays in-time, etc.

Playing Solo seems to help recognition a little more and i'm starting to learn how to predict when i will need to react in order to cover the action-delay. Still, i shouldn't have to do that because the shield should work a split second after i activate it. Ah well, maybe they will add in some other servers around the world; i can only hope because this game is actually pretty refreshing and i've not yet paid a single penny as i've got a self-sustaining system going.

Where is it you live?
thezeronumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Miraglyth

Towards the end of tier 2, this lag is becoming untenable. As you progress the game becomes increasingly reliant on defending well - dodging and shielding at the right times.

With this kind of lag, doing so is not reliable. We can dodge an enemy and then get lag-teleported to the spot of ground they're attacking. We can shield in time and get hit anyway - and then we can get hit again instantly because apparently even our moment of invincibility is delayed. At the worst of times we can even get lag-warped into an obstacle and briefly become sitting ducks, usually with fatal results.

I know this is only going to get worse the further we progress, so I'm seriously wondering if it's worth it right now.
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
ZPE

The lag gets disruptive in later tier 2 arena rooms making them impossible to clear. Avoiding them until the lag problem is solved. :/
ZPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Miraglyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPE View Post
The lag gets disruptive in later tier 2 arena rooms
Yeah! That's exactly where it became unmanageable for us.
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
coolcooltheman

Spiral Knights is unplayable to me. I'm in the US, and when play tf2, i get real low ping ranging from 5-50 ms. I can't even walk around in town properly.
coolcooltheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Undead

If you're experiencing lag in individual tiers, then that's not lag, you're experiencing FPS stuttering and is a result from either your GPU or drivers.
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
striator

Well they're doing server maintenance in less than half an hour, so maybe it'll fix a few issues.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
starlinvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcooltheman View Post
Spiral Knights is unplayable to me. I'm in the US, and when play tf2, i get real low ping ranging from 5-50 ms. I can't even walk around in town properly.
Never quote ping times from games that have user hosted servers to compare performance with a centralized system like MMOs, it never ends well. The key is knowing where the servers located, not that they simply have a low ping. Try finding a german TF2 server and see if its got 5-50ms ping... if it does, your either a lair or your not really in the US (unless you count military bases on foreign soil).
Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Aegis^Byrth

Banned
i play mmos on american servers and get 160-200ping
i play spiral knights and get what feels like 500+

THEY have issues, and should work on a better server connection OR client-side lag compensation

I still manage ti solo tier 2 somehow (except fiends, those are impossible. You should shield just as the animation starts to not get hit, and doing that in a room with 5+ demons trowing chairs at you is just impossible), but i cant even imagine doing tier 3 with this lag.

I love the game but im not spending a cent on it before they fix this

Last edited by Aegis^Byrth: 07-03-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Aegis^Byrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
EviLDeAthMaN

Now, I'm not positive, but I believe that while in the clockworks, the party leader hosts the instance like in Vindictus. P2P. That is how it feels anyways, because when I play with people from my area, the lag is barely noticable, but when I play with somewon in singapore or Aus, Its lag city.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by striator View Post
Well they're doing server maintenance in less than half an hour, so maybe it'll fix a few issues.
They have that like every other day, and it doesn't help. :/ lol
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
starlinvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviLDeAthMaN View Post
Now, I'm not positive, but I believe that while in the clockworks, the party leader hosts the instance like in Vindictus. P2P. That is how it feels anyways, because when I play with people from my area, the lag is barely noticable, but when I play with somewon in singapore or Aus, Its lag city.
If that were true going solo would be an instant 4 bars... and I have serious doubts they would do that on the security implications alone.

I haven't found any information on how the instances are handled, but seeing as everything is hosted in Amazon's EC2 cloud, they could have instances rooted in several regional locations. Its very possible the game decides where to spawn an instance based on criteria of the first player.

An alternative theory is the client synchronization has low tolerance for errors. If one client has high enough latency, it could cause enough variation that the server would have to enforce corrections to everyone. On several occasions, I've actually had my shield block an attack right after I dropped it.

I've also noticed theres a moderate degree of movement prediction/tolerance to try to smooth things out, but it has major draw backs when its forced to correct. Its most noticeable when sharply turning a corner and getting pulled back, and general rubber banding.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
LlamaKami

I'm In America, I Have Four Bars, I Still Lag Really Bad At Times. They Need To Improve Their Server Quality, It Is Not Just The Distance From The Servers. However I Don't Even See Why This Is Downloadable In Other Countries Because Of How Much Worse The Lag Would Be. The Company That Does Spiral Knights Isn't A Very Reputable Game Company So They Really Need To Fix This To Shine. Their Only Other Games Are Very Low Grade Even If They Are Indie.

Last edited by LlamaKami: 07-04-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spiral Knights