Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Aceofspades

Post Getting your controller working

I figured, I should help out some people getting their controller working for GTA: San Andreas/GTA4.

I got most of the buttons working for SA. Except the one where you recruit members. :/

Playstation 3

Getting your controller working with your operating system.
1) The first thing you need to do is to get your controller working for your PC. There's software called "MotionJoy" that will make your controller work for games. Just follow these instructions (http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/install/latest)

2) Once you're done that plug in your controller, turn it on and open up MotionJoy. (DS3 Tool).

For San Andreas:
On the left side select the following:
Select one mode: Playstation 2 (POV, joystick)
LED: Custom 1

For GTA4:
Select one mode: Xbox360 Controller Emulator (It's an xbox port)
LED: Custom 1

then hit "Enable". One thing that I always do is I also click Vibration Testing, to see if my controller is hooked up properly. Keep in mind you need to own a Dualshock 3 controller to do that.

San Andreas only:
Getting your controller working in-game:
1) Download this file and unzip it http://nickklein.ca/community/gta_sa_steam.zip

2)Back up the "gta_sa" file in C:\Users\(Your Username)\Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files. Just incase.

3) Now copy the file you downloaded to the folder.

4) Start your game and it SHOULD work, if it doesn't, then you can always manually remap your keys.

Xbox360
- Need some help for the 360 one.

Let me know if it works/doesn't work.

Last edited by Aceofspades: 06-27-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Methghost

Question: I have done everything you said in your post to start up a ps3 dualshock 3 controller, but I can't get it to work in-game. Do I have to start the game up first and plug the controller in? Or the other way around? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Aceofspades

Which game? San Andreas or GTA 4?

I plug in the controller, I turn on the DS3tool. When it's on I select the proper mode for the controller and hit "Enable" and I do a Vibration Test to make sure.

If you're playing GTA 4 and the "Playstation 3" Mode doesn't work, then try out "Xbox360 Controller Emulator". It's the exact same controls.

EDIT: My mistake. Yes it only works through the xbox360 controller emulator setting. Updating it now.

Last edited by Aceofspades: 06-27-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Aceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
mffman

what about the the 360 controller for vice city?
mffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
disulfiram

Dualshock 2

How can I make Dualshock 2 work with GTA4? I got it 3 days ago and still don't understand it a lot. I got it to work with some indie games like And Yet It Moves and Steel Storm: Burning Retribution but when I tried it with GTA4 the game doesn't recognize it at all until I start playing. Than it shows in the menu an Xbox360 controller.
disulfiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Solid Sawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceofspades View Post
For San Andreas:
Select one mode: Playstation 2 (POV, joystick)
Thanks, been using Motioninjoy for a while now but never tried this setting for San Andreas. This is the first time I've been able to use the right stick at all in the game. I'm not sure if there's a way to map the d-pad to anything but character movement tho, never got it to work before with xpadder.
Solid Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Aceofspades

I'm not sure about the xbox360 controllers. If people know how to set it up, please let me know and I'll add it to the thread.

I don't think the Motionjoy work for the dualshock 2 controllers. Only with the Playstation 3 controllers. I might be wrong though.

Getting it to work for San Andreas is pretty difficult and time consuming most of the time. Are you using a playstation 3 controller or a xbox360 one?
Aceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
konartist1208

Just tried it out, bought complete edition

Im having problems with the 360 controller working for GTA3. I wish the was a command line like TF2 to do "exec 360controller". But if anyone gets this, please let me know. i would like to use 360 controller on all GTA games. Just having problems with the triggers and the look joystick. You can map everything else.
konartist1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #9
ShadyGuy

I've had good successes using Pinnacle Game Profiler. A lot of people use Xpadder, but Pinnacle is more advanced and has a lot of game profiles to download from their forums, including the GTA games.
ShadyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
danielpuia

Thanks! Your topic has helped me a lot!
Now I can play GTA SA on PC with my Dual Shock 3 controller!

I tested and it really works!
danielpuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
skyerxd

thanks
skyerxd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series