Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hearts of Iron series

Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Bugenhagen

Exclamation How to fix problems related to starting Hearts of Iron: For the Motherland

1. Install the Visual C++ redist, downloadable from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=5555

2. Rightclick Hearts of Iron 3 in your Steam game library, click Set Launch Options, and make sure it is empty

3. Rightclick Hearts of Iron 3 in your Steam game library, click Local Files, click Verify Integrity of Game Cache

This should fix any startup problems you may have. If not:

4. Reinstall the game

Edit:
After this I still had problems with crashes to desktop. I fixed it the following way:

1. Copy all the files from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\hearts of iron 3" to a new folder.
2. Download the beta patch from ftp://patch:gkeoo!76@ftp.paradoxplaz...ftm_3_031b.zip or http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...tch&p=12592041
3. Extract all those files to the new folder.
4. Rightclick "hoigame.exe" in the new folder, and select "Run as Administrator"

Last edited by Bugenhagen: 07-07-2011 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Added fix for crashes

Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Addon

My graphics went back to the old ones.

I bought For the motherland yestarday and had some trouble first starting it but then did what Bughenhagen suggested and the game now works....but with the same old graphigs that i had before i bougt Dies Irae Götterdämmerung dlc. I would very much like to have both as i have payd for both. Anyone got the same problem?
Addon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Bugenhagen

They're incompatible.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Rhastas

yep it works but my game just keep on going dead and saying it ed up and crash.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
aeggallardo

I also bought For the motherland yesterday and had the first trouble. The game doent start. I did what Bughenhagen suggested, and the same, even I re-installed the game. But nothing works HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
AJSM

If some of you cannot launch the game still, try installig this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...a-9b6652cd92a3

This will install DirectX 9 AND WILL NOT DELETE DIRECT 10 OR 11, so don't worry.

It worked when I did it.
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #7
intelfreak

thanks it worked!
intelfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Asherett

I'm not sure if my problem actually applies. I bought HoI3 as part of the Complete Paradox pack, and I guess it includes FtM.

Anyway when I start up the game I get a black screen (at low resolution), a ticking-clock mouse cursor and music (Ride of the Valkyries!). Nothing happens. Same as a few others here report.

I have followed the instructions given in this thread to the letter, except reinstalling the game (as I'd rather not use 2 GB more of my transfer cap). DirectX9 installed, Visual C++ redist installed, Verified cache files (actually said 3 files were corrupted and got redownloaded).

More suggestions? Should I download some patch?

EDIT: nevermind, found the solution at http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/...php?p=22360125

Last edited by Asherett: 07-11-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: found solution
Asherett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
ivniciix

I feel obliged to say that Steam sold me the game and it's their responsibility to fix this issue.
ivniciix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Waloonga

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSM View Post
If some of you cannot launch the game still, try installig this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...a-9b6652cd92a3

This will install DirectX 9 AND WILL NOT DELETE DIRECT 10 OR 11, so don't worry.

It worked when I did it.
Installing DirectX9 did the trick. I have the lastes DirectX11 version, but there is apparantely some file missing that doesn't work. Should be noted as a bug.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
Milkycookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherett View Post
I'm not sure if my problem actually applies. I bought HoI3 as part of the Complete Paradox pack, and I guess it includes FtM.

Anyway when I start up the game I get a black screen (at low resolution), a ticking-clock mouse cursor and music (Ride of the Valkyries!). Nothing happens. Same as a few others here report.

I have followed the instructions given in this thread to the letter, except reinstalling the game (as I'd rather not use 2 GB more of my transfer cap). DirectX9 installed, Visual C++ redist installed, Verified cache files (actually said 3 files were corrupted and got redownloaded).

More suggestions? Should I download some patch?

EDIT: nevermind, found the solution at http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/...php?p=22360125
Double check your Paradox 'Complete' Pack, i believe FTM was not included in it. There are quite a few threads about it here as well.

The Daes Ires blah blah blah german mod that Paradox is selling is not compatible with FTM. (go figure)

Besides the many workarounds. I believe you have to use either FTM or the MOD, not both.

If you're a veteran of Paradox games you'll know that nothing less than a complete install is required for the game to not only work, but work as intended.
Milkycookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hearts of Iron series