Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Hivomnomnom

Kind of a big plot hole

I know, I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDYiu...feature=relmfu

About thirty seconds in, Toby finds the pink stuff that blocks you from moving to the splashy water ninja monster. He says "Can I burn it?" and attempts to pick up a torch that is lighting up the room.

You can't. The fire would surely destroy it, yet you have to concoct an acid mixture rather than just go ahead and leave. Surely Daniel, who solves semi-complicated(at least more complicated than picking up a torch and using it to burn stuff) could figure this out? And before someone says "it'd burn the house down" this particular part is made of stone.

I do realize it would have been a bit boring to just pick up the torch, but maybe Frictional could have done something with that? Like have the torch on the other side of the red gooey stuff? Just out of reach, but still close enough to brighten up the room.

I dunno, maybe I'm expecting too much, it just bothers me.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
gotthisfortf2

Banned
Im pretty sure a torch wouldn't be able to anything against that goo stuff.
gotthisfortf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
gotthisfortf2

Banned
And how exaclty is this a plot hole?This has really nothing to do with the plot.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Hivomnomnom

Because you're forced to do a bunch of unnecessary stuff. And fire would be able to burn anything acid can.
Hivomnomnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Niscimble

I imagined that the goo on the walls was secreting a lot of fluid, essentially making it fire proof. Like trying to light a piece of wood that was soaked in water.
Niscimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Hivomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niscimble View Post
I imagined that the goo on the walls was secreting a lot of fluid, essentially making it fire proof. Like trying to light a piece of wood that was soaked in water.
Well it did look rather shiny, which could have been like "sweating" liquid.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
gotthisfortf2

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivomnomnom View Post
Because you're forced to do a bunch of unnecessary stuff. And fire would be able to burn anything acid can.
I don't think fire can burn anything acid can.Some stuff doesn't catch on fire.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Hivomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotthisfortf2 View Post
I don't think fire can burn anything acid can.Some stuff doesn't catch on fire.
That IS true, of course fire can't burn things underwater, but acid might be able to. Not sure, having never handled acid before.

Are chemistry pots made with material that stops the acid from melting the pot? Just wondering.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
gotthisfortf2

Banned
Quote:
That IS true, of course fire can't burn things underwater, but acid might be able to. Not sure, having never handled acid before.

Are chemistry pots made with material that stops the acid from melting the pot? Just wondering.
Yeah.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
Koga Shiro

That residue the shadow leaves behind is described as fleshy. Think you could just hold up a torch and burn through a wall made of skin?
Koga Shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

Its supernatural... that means if it doesn't want to be burned fire then it won't be burned by fire. This game doesn't exactly abide by normal rules of physics.
Hi2u! Tw1TcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
deadhorse69

Quote:

I hate to necro, but yes, fire CAN burn underwater. The first example that pops to mind is magnesium. It burns underwater. Fire is simply a reaction. Anything that gets hot enough, or reacts the right way (in my example magnesium) will catch on fire. Iron, hell, even water. With chemicals in your house right now, you can make a fire that will break down water into it's hydrogen and oxygen components, and subsequently combust those elements.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
The LaughingMan

The biggest plot hole for me is why doesn't he just haul once you get out of the window. There's monsters and scary noises all throughout that house I would rather be in the super scary forest. Ah I forgot he has a journal with some incriminating evidence in there. I would just tell the cops that they have the wrong Daniel cause you know once they find that place they're going to be questioning everyone
The LaughingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
gotthisfortf2

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by The LaughingMan View Post
The biggest plot hole for me is why doesn't he just haul once you get out of the window. There's monsters and scary noises all throughout that house I would rather be in the super scary forest. Ah I forgot he has a journal with some incriminating evidence in there. I would just tell the cops that they have the wrong Daniel cause you know once they find that place they're going to be questioning everyone
Because the shadow is chasing him and if he left the shadow would catch up with him eventually.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent