Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Frontlines: Fuel of War

Old 06-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Sullii85

Nice

Can't wait to play this, had alot of fun when I had it for the 360. Hopefully people are still playing online
Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Euphytose

There are people but not enough.
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
BigBadWolf

well since im near the limit of my isp's cap and only have to wait less then 10 days to reset ill install it then for $5.00 you really cant go wrong I think.
BigBadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
arizonachris

Online is really been dead, maybe it'll pick up with the sale. Buy it for the SP, it is a really fun shooter. But if you have a dual core CPU don't buy this game.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Rumtruffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonachris View Post
But if you have a dual core CPU don't buy this game.
why?

how about a quad core cpu?
Rumtruffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
freibooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtruffle View Post
why?

how about a quad core cpu?
The statement is mostly bogus. The game had (has ?) some issues with dual-core CPUs, but it's running perfectly fine and smooth on my Core i5 quad core, Win 7 64bit and 8GB RAM - out of the box and without any additional tweaking.

Even if you were experiencing any problems - XP seems to be more problematic than Vista and Win 7 in this area - the solution would be as simple as setting the affinity to a single core with three clicks or to simply install AMD's old "Dual Core Optimizer" to make up for some of XP's shortcomings.

There appear to be a lot of people giving their opinion based on the game's initial, and unquestionably flawed released. Most issues have been addressed with patches and on modern hardware, the game runs absolutely fine and still looks great.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #7
bluntpencil

I'm running it on a fairly low-powered laptop, and while I'm only running it at 1280x800, I got everything on max and have forced AA through the nvidia control panel. I'm surprised at how well it runs and how good it looks. It's a steal at the current price, and definately worth it at full price as well.
bluntpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
MADDOGGE

Own it retail but picked it up Steam just to aviod the hours long process of patching the retail version and to protect my retail disc. Fun SP, cool toys. Everything HomeFront isn't.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
arizonachris

Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
The statement is mostly bogus. The game had (has ?) some issues with dual-core CPUs, but it's running perfectly fine and smooth on my Core i5 quad core, Win 7 64bit and 8GB RAM - out of the box and without any additional tweaking.
No, sir not bogus at all. With my dual core Athalon this game was unplayable. Now, maybe, with Intel chips and Hyper Threading it's different. Like I posted, (and I can't find the darn Thread) I was one of the first to find this stuttering issue, and to try and find the cause. I'm not one to just sit and complain, I try and find fixes, so other folks can benefit.

Maybe it's an AMD/ Intel CPU issue? I mean, an Intel Core 2 Duo with Hyper Threading is like a quad, basically? There lies the difference.

But the point is moot. The game will run fine, or it won't. We just have to see what we can do for those that the game doesn't run fine.

I have run this game on a dual core Athalon in Win XP, Win Vista, and Win 7. Dual Core Optimizer is useless with this game (works great for NFS, tho)

Last edited by arizonachris: 06-30-2011 at 07:43 AM.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonachris View Post
Like I posted, (and I can't find the darn Thread) I was one of the first to find this stuttering issue, and to try and find the cause. I'm not one to just sit and complain, I try and find fixes, so other folks can benefit.
I was on the old thread you are talking about yesterday Arizona but can't remember the title.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
KSMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
Own it retail but picked it up Steam just to aviod the hours long process of patching the retail version and to protect my retail disc. Fun SP, cool toys. Everything HomeFront isn't.
I've too bought this retail and later at steam, just for the SP, but is Homefront really that different?

I've not bought Homefront, because I think the price is way to high, but if it hit's 10euro I'll probably buy it.
KSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
thisguyrighther

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMF View Post
I've too bought this retail and later at steam, but is Homefront really that different?

I've not bought Homefront, because I think the price is way to high, but if it hit's 10euro I'll probably buy it.
Homefront is nothing like Frontlines.

It's one gametype over and over. Not even a full Conquest/Frontline style gametype either. It's just back and forth capturing two points in a small space. The maps seem huge but the reality is they are very small and the average game length is about 5 minutes.

I bought it because I loved FFOW and expected FFOW style gameplay. I could not have been more disappointed.

Homefront is a $15 game tops with its 3 hour SP and single COD gametype MP on 2 maps.
thisguyrighther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
KSMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyrighther View Post
Homefront is nothing like Frontlines.

It's one gametype over and over. Not even a full Conquest/Frontline style gametype either. It's just back and forth capturing two points in a small space. The maps seem huge but the reality is they are very small and the average game length is about 5 minutes.

I bought it because I loved FFOW and expected FFOW style gameplay. I could not have been more disappointed.

Homefront is a $15 game tops with its 3 hour SP and single COD gametype MP on 2 maps.
Ok, sounds bad, what a pity, I love FFOWs SP, play it casually and have a ball every time.
KSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Bluessun

I'm playing with i7 860, 8GB RAM and GTX480, settings maxed and runs smooth.

I don't know what the hell people have on their machines if this doesn't work. I mean come on... I have friends with several different layouts and still no problems.

It MUST be a driver issue or a virus issue if this game does not run with decent computer. Or maby some installed programs?

I ran this on my second computer too with C2D 6700 and GTX 280 with no problems.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
mrstealth82

I wouldn't say it had issues with dual core CPUs if the only issue with was the dual core Athlons. I recall those CPUs having issues with other games, and it was a flaw the CPU. The cores' clocks would run at slightly different speeds, which caused instability in applications capable of using both cores.

If there was a game issue with dual core CPUs, it would effect quad cores as well. The game is from early 2008, so I doubt it was designed to use 4 cores. It most likely only runs on 2 cores, treating the quad as if it were dual.
mrstealth82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Frontlines: Fuel of War