Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
sappy

Portal 2 MotionPack Exclusive Content

EDIT: A lot of people seem to think I am confusing the Razor pack with Valve's promised summer DLC. I am NOT. The point of that tread and the group is that we all want access to those levels, be it by paying(though not 140$ mind you ), or free after some period of exclusivity for the Razor controller.

Everyone who owns Portal 2 has beaten it by now. And is eagerly waiting for some of that free DLC Valve talked about giving you this summer. Well, too bad! No free DLC for you unless you have the Sixense Razer Hydra Motion Controller!

• The Portal 2 MotionPack DLC may be free, but you’ll need to buy the $139.99 Razer Hydra controller if you want to download it.

• The Razer Hydra is a motion controller for Windows PC's that costs $139.99. This means that the MotionPack free DLC levels on Steam cater to it's control scheme. Worth mentioning is that these aren't even in-house Valve-designed maps. So the Hydra folks knocked out 10 maps to help promote their new doohicky. The map pack that Razor made, was done whilist using the Portal 2 mod tools that have been released to the public a few months back.

• The MotionPack levels includes 10 maps for the single player campaign that need the Razer Hydra to play properly. MotionPack levels include Weighted Companion Cubes that can be resized to solve puzzles, and there are puzzles that supposedly require extreme precision when placing portals or directing lasers. It even introduces Portal Surfing, which requires you to slide a portal into the correct place. None of which looks imposible to pull of with mouse/keyboard, provided the new actions are bound to M/KB combinations. Yes it might be harder, to pull off, but it's doable.

And for the rest of us who don’t see the point of spending $140 on a computer controller?
Like say what happened to the Novint Falcon Game Controller?
CES 2009 - Novint Falcon Game Controller support for Orange Box games and L4D
Valve Releases Novint Falcon Support For Some Of The Best Rated Games Of All Time
CES 2011 - Razer Hydra support for Portal 2
CES 2013 - some other gimmick...

• Simply put we would like to have acces to those levels(even if there is some period of exclusivity). As opposed to being forced to pay for a map pack from a third party developer, that requires it's own gimmic toy.
Say NO to Portal 2 MotionPack Exclusive Content

Last edited by sappy: 06-30-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Claybay1

I don't think you can beat those levels with a mouse + keyboard.
Claybay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
morbosfist

Yet another one of these.

You haven't bought the controller. The same people who designed it also designed these levels to show it off. They are working with Valve, but they are not part of the corporation. If they want their content to be exclusive, they have that right. Valve, on the other hand, is releasing a completely free DLC sometime in summer. So, rather than complaining because you have to pay for something that shows off a gimmick, try waiting until the actual substantial content rolls in.
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
TheLeoCrow

Congrats on being today's Razer Hydra complainer.

You know, this DLC is nothing more than a glorified mod! Not made by Valve, nor is it considered cannon. So, in short, they made a non-cannon mod that only works with their product and you want to play it with mouse and keyboard. I can't tell you what to feel but being angry about something like that, will only result in you feeling angry about something you can't and shouldn't have.

As for the summer, it just begun. And valve works in their own time. I am only interested in a good dlc, not a quick one nor a rush job on their cannon dlc.
TheLeoCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Pufje

I wish I could get the controller for cheaper than the current price. say 90% off, and I'll consider buying it.
Pufje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
Ctu

If this was $20 for the controller and the maps, then I might get it. Tho at $140, it is overpraised as hell

How do they get off, with charging that much for something that might cost as much as $10 from China..until I see how much it really cost them, I will believe they are ripping people off.
Ctu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 AM   #7
sappy

My point is first and foremost about the exclusive DLC, and the fact that those level are beatable with M/KB. Yes they will require more of the ninja skill type perhaps, but P1 had a lot of tricks that required exactly that. And yes I am aware the the maps are not made by Valve. That makes me even more upset that some guys with a cheap plastic gimmick can charge such insane sum.
Second thing is that's the second time Valve pair up with some company to use their gimmicky toy. Difference being there was no such exclusive crap with Novin.
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
Scorpio471

This DLC isn't made by Valve.The FREE Summer DLC is incoming.
Just wait and don't talk stupid
Scorpio471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
skinlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy View Post
My point is first and foremost about the exclusive DLC, and the fact that those level are beatable with M/KB. Yes they will require more of the ninja skill type perhaps, but P1 had a lot of tricks that required exactly that. And yes I am aware the the maps are not made by Valve. That makes me even more upset that some guys with a cheap plastic gimmick can charge such insane sum.
Second thing is that's the second time Valve pair up with some company to use their gimmicky toy. Difference being there was no such exclusive crap with Novin.
Get over it.

If you don't have it, how do you know it will be beatable with a mouse and keyboard? Also, as I doubt you've ever held one, you have no evidence to suggest that its a cheap plastic gimmick. Grow up , and realise you can't have everything in life.
skinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
Dark Flesh

This isnt the DLC *sigh*
Even Before the Release of Portal 2 they said that it will Include Razer Hydra Only Maps.

So stop thinking that this is the DLC since IT IS NOT!
Dark Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
morbosfist

People seem to be forgetting that the $140 price tag includes a copy of Portal 2. You're paying for the game and the controller. And, if you consider $100 too much for a controller, remember that some flight simulation controllers can go up to $200.
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
DrakenZA

Really ? Another one of these complainers ? Ive got my hands on the razor maps and they are very boring and dont even compare to the first chamber in portal 2. Its all just based around the controller and what it can do, yes you could prob do it with k/mouse. But its pointless.
DrakenZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
G.Lecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakenZA View Post
Its all just based around the controller and what it can do.
Well isn't that what the new maps are supposed to be about?
G.Lecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
JokersFlame

360 gamer here.

Not bothered at all.

(In all seriousness this is bullcrap! I hope you guys get this worked out!)
JokersFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
JokersFlame

After looking at the videos, there is no way in hell the PC can play that DLC without the controller in the firstplace.
JokersFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2