Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spellforce series

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
ph41lkid

does the game support widescreen resolution

and also, would the UI be stretched?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
NewZealander

No, but I got it working

If you are talking about Spellforce 1 (I think you can edit an ini in spellforce 2 to get it working in widescreen)

I got it working with Spellforce 1 by setting the game to run in a window by putting -window into my launch options and adding

WindowWidth = 1680,
WindowHeight = 1050,

to my config.lua in SteamApps\common\spellforce platinum edition
after ScreenResolution = 7, and before the }

Then I have to run an autohotkey script I modified to work with spellforce (get autohotkey from http://www.autohotkey.com/)

you can get the original script at http://code.google.com/p/winsupermaximize/ in the src folder in winsupermaximize-1.01.zip

to modify it to work properly with spellforce change the lines

WinSet, Style, +0x800000

to

WinSet, Style, +0xC00000, A

WinSet, Style, -0x800000

to

WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A

and

WinMove, , , 0, -4, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight + 4 - 1 ; 1 pixel less, to be able to use the auto-hide taskbar

to

WinMove, , , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight

save the script and run it by double clicking the .ahk file (with autohotkey installed) - you should see a green icon with an H on your taskbar.

run spellforce - it will open in a window.

alt tab so you can use the mouse to double click the H icon on your taskbar. (make sure spellforce is on top or you will maximise a different window)

you should now have spellforce running in widescreen in full screen! The UI does not appear to be stretched as well.

Last edited by NewZealander: 07-09-2011 at 01:59 AM.
NewZealander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
poanoi

Thanks alot for the tip @NewZealander.

I tend to mess up my PC whenever i try to be constructive,
so i wonder if you could upload the modified config.lua,
and hopefully also the modified hotkey program/exe file,
so all i need to do is adjust WindowWidth & WindowHeight to fit my screen,
and play ?
poanoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
NewZealander

modified autohotkey script

here is the modified autohotkey script

http://www.mediafire.com/?2b7wtyuguxzwayq

To run it you need to install autohotkey. you can get that from http://www.autohotkey.com/

Once autohotkey is installed you can run the script by double clicking the .ahk file. This will add a green icon with an H on your taskbar.

When you double click the green icon with the H it will maximise the top window to full screen. It also works with some other games that run in a window.

You have to be running Spellforce in a window (you can do this by right clicking spellforce in your steam library and clicking "Properties", then "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS" and type in "-window" (without the quotes).

The config.lua file contains other info so you have to edit it yourself. I haven't tried this with any other resolutions other than 1680 by 1050 but I assume it should work with other widescreen resolutions as long as your screen supports them. If anyone gets it working with another resolution post a reply.

This is what the Graphic section of mine looks like (you just have to add the lines with WindowWidth and WindowHeight using you desired widescreen resolution):

Graphic =
{
ShowHitInfo = 3,
AvoidExcessiveFrameBuffering = 0,
VSync = 1,
FlatShades = 1,
EffectLightmap = 1,
EnvironmentMapping = 1,
AdornMode = 2,
ObjectFadeDistance = 75,
ShadowType = 1,
TextureQuality = 3,
Filtering = 0,
ScreenResolution = 7,
WindowWidth = 1680,
WindowHeight = 1050,
}
NewZealander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Oubadah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZealander View Post
If you are talking about Spellforce 1 (I think you can edit an ini in spellforce 2 to get it working in widescreen)

I got it working with Spellforce 1 by setting the game to run in a window by putting -window into my launch options and adding

WindowWidth = 1680,
WindowHeight = 1050,

to my config.lua in SteamApps\common\spellforce platinum edition
after ScreenResolution = 7, and before the }

Then I have to run an autohotkey script I modified to work with spellforce (get autohotkey from http://www.autohotkey.com/)

you can get the original script at http://code.google.com/p/winsupermaximize/ in the src folder in winsupermaximize-1.01.zip

to modify it to work properly with spellforce change the lines

WinSet, Style, +0x800000

to

WinSet, Style, +0xC00000, A

WinSet, Style, -0x800000

to

WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A

and

WinMove, , , 0, -4, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight + 4 - 1 ; 1 pixel less, to be able to use the auto-hide taskbar

to

WinMove, , , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight

save the script and run it by double clicking the .ahk file (with autohotkey installed) - you should see a green icon with an H on your taskbar.

run spellforce - it will open in a window.

alt tab so you can use the mouse to double click the H icon on your taskbar. (make sure spellforce is on top or you will maximise a different window)

you should now have spellforce running in widescreen in full screen! The UI does not appear to be stretched as well.
Very interesting. I did some very brief testing and this method does seem to work. But are there any hidden trade offs for running in windowed mode? I've noticed two so far:

- Text in the game is completely different. It's smaller, and harder to read, but that's not a deal breaker.
- And secondly, yes, the UI is stretched. It won't be as bad on your 16:10 display, but at 16:9 it's pretty bad. But that's not a deal breaker either.
- EDIT: Uh-oh, there is a graphical glitch. Some kind of weird effect where the screen is divided vertically into many strips that aren't quite aligned. It is very subtle, but gives a sort of glassy ripple effect to the game.

I'll put some hours on this game and report here if I notice any other issue.

On a side note, full shadows in this game are broken. They have been for a long time (since I had my 9800XT I think). Does anyone know how to fix them?

Last edited by Oubadah: 12-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Oubadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Sinbad

SpellForce Platinum: 2560x1600 and 1920x1200

Using AutoHotKey with the script works to get the game running full screen at 2560x1600 and 1920x1200. Everything is stretched, but you don't notice it. However, the green health bar is missing on units and buildings if the game is running in a resolution which it doesn't normally support.

The resolution set in 'config.lua' needs to match your desktop resolution or the mouse won't work properly.

The screenshot function in Steam works in windowed mode, but it crops to 2560x1587 and 1920x1187.

Last edited by Sinbad: 04-22-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Sinbad

SpellForce Platinum widescreen fixes

Please see this thread over at Widescreen Gaming Forum for widescreen fixes:

SpellForce Platinum widescreen fixes
Sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
spencefoxtrot

Hi!

I'm french, it's not very clear for me...

My pc have a maximum resolution : 1366/768

So, I try to test :

ScreenResolution = 7, WindowWidth = 1366, WindowHeight = 768,

But, it's not working...

I have an error message "Desired resolution not found. Plz install lasted drivers"

(But, i'm already at the lasted drivers...)

Thk in advance!
spencefoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spellforce series