Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
HazMatt101
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 2
Posts: 43
Exclamation Steam Downloading/Updating So Slowly

I know there are probably a billion other threads like these talking about how slow Steam downloads/updates, but I can't find one on these forums and I just figured I could make a new one.

Steam used to download quite quickly, sometimes as fast as 6.2 mb/sec, but now it can barely sustain a 500 kb/sec. I didn't really notice the slow updating until after TF2 became free-to-play. I thought it was just everyone downloading it, so I gave it about a week and a half. Earlier this week I purchased the Witcher 2 and it took several hours to download it, because it was consistently fluctuating in a range between about 700 kb/sec and as low as 12 kb/sec. I have purchased several other games since then because of the weekend sale Steam is having. I am very displeased because the downloads say it is going to take 1 day and 11 hours!

I've tried deleting my ClientRegistry.blob file for Steam and reinstalling it and so far I can only notice a change in about 100 kb/sec, still far too slow for my downloading purposes. I have no other windows open when I'm downloading and I checked for viruses and cleaned out my computer's registry, and still I have seen no difference.

I don't know if this is aftermath from the TF2 Uber Update or something, that left the download servers for Steam damaged, but I have tried everything and still no luck.

If anybody has any idea how to fix this issue I am having with Steam I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by HazMatt101: 07-02-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typo
HazMatt101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
gingerbill
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Reputation: 86
Posts: 808
think its slower for everyone during peak times . In another thread a valve employee said they were working on improving it.

Only thing you can try is changing which server it donwloads from , that often helps alot. even if the server is on the other side of the world if its not busy it will be quicker.
gingerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
I wouldn't be surprised if it's TF2 as you say, coupled with the effect of the Summer Sales (the shop's been a little tiresome because of this).

Changing your download region, and don't be afraid to choose somewhere further afield - picking servers in areas of the world which are mostly asleep (at that time) helps.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
MADDOGGE
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 11467
Posts: 26,171
Pretty standard during monster sales like now. Don't be afraid to try what gingerbill & crunchyfrog suggests. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but you won't hurt anything trying.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
HazMatt101
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 2
Posts: 43
How do I change the download server? Is it that thing I explained I did with reinstalling Steam and it just randomly chooses one?
HazMatt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
darkpriest667
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 8
Posts: 40
Its been happening to me for about 8 days.. at First I thought it was my net... Then after speedtesting several times I realized it was steam... Ive gone through 4 different servers and im maxing out at about 300kb... Usually I get a steady 1.3 MB I'm thinking they have slowed up for some unknown reason. I doubt peak usage has anything to do with it.
darkpriest667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Vaemer-Riit
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 167
Posts: 1,137
Large Sales = More Concurrent Users = More Congestion = Slower Downloads

Either change download server or wait for the sale to be over.
Vaemer-Riit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
dennisroos1
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 96
Because of the big Summer Sale, like 10 million people are buying and downloading games now. That takes a lot of bandwidth. This creates more lag and slower download speeds.
dennisroos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt101 View Post
How do I change the download server? Is it that thing I explained I did with reinstalling Steam and it just randomly chooses one?
No, it's under the Steam > Settings > Download & Cloud tab.

As I've said already, choose away at any other region. Picking one in an area of the world where it's middle of the night/early morning is often yielding of good results.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
darkpriest667
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 8
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
No, it's under the Steam > Settings > Download & Cloud tab.

As I've said already, choose away at any other region. Picking one in an area of the world where it's middle of the night/early morning is often yielding of good results.


not quite true.. russia, japan, phil islands... Ive tried almost every server and they all are yielding the same bandwidth... 200kb to 400kb per second.. The servers are either being throttled or theyve got so many people downloading on every server its amazing it hasnt crashed
darkpriest667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpriest667 View Post
not quite true.. russia, japan, phil islands... Ive tried almost every server and they all are yielding the same bandwidth... 200kb to 400kb per second.. The servers are either being throttled or theyve got so many people downloading on every server its amazing it hasnt crashed
Just choose others. There's plenty of other options. I've been downloading like a madman the last few days, and have readily found suitable alternatives. You may have to look a little harder, however, but it's certainly not untrue.

If, however, you're getting the same results from a whole host of them (are you sure you've tried MOST of them? There are literally loads) you might start to wonder if the problem's a little closer to home, or even if your ISP throttles Steam at busy times - that's certainly not unheard of.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
darkpriest667
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 8
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
Just choose others. There's plenty of other options. I've been downloading like a madman the last few days, and have readily found suitable alternatives. You may have to look a little harder, however, but it's certainly not untrue.

If, however, you're getting the same results from a whole host of them (are you sure you've tried MOST of them? There are literally loads) you might start to wonder if the problem's a little closer to home, or even if your ISP throttles Steam at busy times - that's certainly not unheard of.

I dont think ISP's have port control on your connection. They would have to throttle the whole connection and I've already proven via speedtest thats not going on.


However I did download 120 GB of games this month but 120 GB of demos and free games is not really unusual for my internet. I don't torrent or any of that stuff.
darkpriest667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Frigid
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Reputation: 366
Posts: 2,703
Exit steam and navigate to your Steam folder. Delete 2 files named "AppUpdateStats.blob" and "ClientRegistry.blob", relaunch Steam and it will create 2 new copies of those files. Once Steam is opened, right click on the icon and go to Settings. Make sure your your Internet speed and your download region is set correctly. Restart steam again.

Posted this in a few other threads and it's worked for people (including myself) who were getting bad speeds.
Frigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpriest667 View Post
I dont think ISP's have port control on your connection. They would have to throttle the whole connection and I've already proven via speedtest thats not going on.


However I did download 120 GB of games this month but 120 GB of demos and free games is not really unusual for my internet. I don't torrent or any of that stuff.
They don't have to throttle your whole connection at all with reference to Steam; they can happily restrict ports just as easily as they block them. There have been certain ISPs - both in the US and UK - that have admitted doing this (or have been found out).

In such cases, it'd be difficult for you to assess it happening, but in all probability it is Steam's servers being congested.

I can't believe however that you cannot find at least one server on the list that can give you maximum speeds, pain in the though it is going through them.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.