Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 07-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
MooseyFate03

Don't Shut Me Out - Please

When internet goes down, and all my single player games are on Steam, it sucks. Can't play one thing.

Solution A: When you can't connect online, let you play games in offline mode. You (Steam) saying this is impossible is BS, they have their reasons they're not willing to let go of I'm sure, which is a major turn off. But if they you are suborn enough to stick to this yarn, see solution B.

Solution B: Allow a Steam setting that automatically switches you back to offline mode whenever you close steam. You will manually enter online mode when you feel like it. This won't help sudden outages, but will help when you boot up a computer that was all ready off, or had Steam closed. This would be very do-able. Maybe you (Steam) don't want it cause you want people on all the time so you can sell them stuff. But it's better than people just being in offline mode for long periods of time.

Fix this some way. It's frustrating.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
flashn00b

I like this idea, though I wonder if half these suggestions i'm seeing are asking VALVe to start again from scratch.
flashn00b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
iCycoWolfIV

I agree. I don't see the point of us paying a full price game that we have to be online to play it (Even activating offline mode). But i don't think Valve would ever think of this, or they just do and are afraid to release it or something lols
iCycoWolfIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
KamiofLunacy

Steam has an offline mode.
KamiofLunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
iCycoWolfIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiofLunacy View Post
Yes, but hes mentioning When you have a power outrage or something, you can't use offline mode. You can only activate it if your online on your steam account. What he wants is a method to setup this. To let you use your games offline if you're network goes out or something.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
LinkinMcOwnage

Banned
You need to go into offline mode at least once when online, before you can use it offline. Security you know.

I've done that and used offline mode for MONTHS at a time with no internet connection. If it isn't working, then you're doing it wrong.
LinkinMcOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
iCycoWolfIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkinMcOwnage View Post
You need to go into offline mode at least once when online, before you can use it offline. Security you know.

I've done that and used offline mode for MONTHS at a time with no internet connection. If it isn't working, then you're doing it wrong.
Hmm, Really? I though you had to go always offline mode before using...
Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Simian_

Start Steam, go into the settings, and on the Account tab, make sure there is no check mark next to "don't save account credentials on this computer". Then click "OK".

Then go back into the settings and on the Account tab, click "Login as a different user". When prompted, click "logout". You will see the login dialogue box come up. Type in your username and password. Make sure there is a check box next to the part that says "Remember my password".

Click "Login". Wait for it to log you in, then quit Steam completely by going to to the "Steam" menu and clicking "exit".

Now disconnect from your internet.

Start Steam. You should now be able to use the offline mode option any time you want now.

Simian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
RubberBandBalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiofLunacy View Post
Yeah but its a little wonky and could use some fine tuning.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
true_blue

I agree, and we pay MORE than full price. I guarantee you, I can find every single new release game on Steam for upto 60% cheaper elsewhere boxed and with manual, extras, maps etc.
And they expect us to pay RRP for a downloadable version which they can take away from us any time they want by the way.. then give us crappy service, and not let us play offline.

Just out of curiosity but how many of you actually pay full price for steam games?? I have never done it in the 5 years I have had steam.
true_blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas