Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 07-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Rhialto

Need 1024x768@120Hz, where to ask?

Hi,

I just bought RW2 and the 2 CN pack as I live in Canada and I tried to play in 3D (3D vision).

I go into nVidia panel to setup resolution to 1024x768@120Hz (that's the highest res my CRT will run @120Hz).

When I start RW2 in 1024@768, it switch to 75Hz.

Where can I try to ask for supporting higher refresh rate and maybe even user selectable refresh rate? I'm prettu sure it's not here on Steam.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Rhialto

Nevermind, I I will give support@railsimulator.com a try.
Rhialto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
lonewolfdon

I don't know if RailWorks supports or can be played in 3D-Vision (I don't have the hardware for that myself), though apparently it can support multiple-monitors display (which is something different than you're asking about), but yes, trying to contact official RailWorks Support with your question might be your best bet for info on that, unless some other Users here have experience with what you're asking might know.
lonewolfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Rhialto

Thanks for replying. It seems to work in 3D as I was able to start it but when I saw the low refresh rate, I quit. So if they can add refresh rate selection it will be great.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
lonewolfdon

As an idea, and I don't know if this would work, try running RailWorks in windowed mode (not Full-Screen), then the graphic settings you have for your desktop might remain unchanged and RailWorks would then run with your desktop's settings, therefore keeping the higher Hrtz rate that you normally have selected.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
lonewolfdon

Here's another idea to try, go to your folder where you have your RailWorks installed, find the file named Config.xml, make a backup copy of it before making any changes to it, then open up that file within a text editor (Windows Notepad should do).

Find the line that reads something like;

<mGfxRefreshRate>75</mGfxRefreshRate>

(The number there might be different for you)

Then put in the higher Refresh-rate you want, so it then become like;

<mGfxRefreshRate>120</mGfxRefreshRate>

Then save the changes and run RailWorks as yo normally would and see if that forces it to run at the rate you want.

*Warning to you and other Users: Do this at your own risk, as forcing a program or refresh rate that your hardware doesn't support could cause damage.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
gjork

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
Hi,

I just bought RW2 and the 2 CN pack as I live in Canada and I tried to play in 3D (3D vision).

I go into nVidia panel to setup resolution to 1024x768@120Hz (that's the highest res my CRT will run @120Hz).

When I start RW2 in 1024@768, it switch to 75Hz.

Where can I try to ask for supporting higher refresh rate and maybe even user selectable refresh rate? I'm prettu sure it's not here on Steam.

Thanks
I use 3DVision on a CRT and know how to fix this issue. You will get the same issue in many games so just do this for all games when using 3Dvision on a CRT. First, you don't have to use 120hz, 100hz looks perfectly fine on a CRT and works with the glasses fine. You can even use 85hz but then you well notice bad flickering so use 100hz or higher.

You need to download refreshlock (not the newer refreshforce) and run it as admin any time you go to play a game in 3D. Do not set it to auto load with Windows.

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rl/

Go to monitor properties and select unhide modes. Run refreshlock as admin set 100hz or 120hz for 1024x768 and click save, it should minimize itself. Run the game and it should now run at your selected refresh rate no matter what setting the game is set to.

I am on a different PC right now so am going by memory so if it still doesn't work I will go check on that PC later for the exact settings.

Last edited by gjork: 07-03-2011 at 09:27 PM.
gjork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Rhialto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfdon View Post
As an idea, and I don't know if this would work, try running RailWorks in windowed mode (not Full-Screen), then the graphic settings you have for your desktop might remain unchanged and RailWorks would then run with your desktop's settings, therefore keeping the higher Hrtz rate that you normally have selected.
I wonder why I haven't think of this myself... I just tried it and it does not work. When it's time to test the settings it says unable.

It was a good idea though!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Rhialto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfdon View Post
Here's another idea to try, go to your folder where you have your RailWorks installed, find the file named Config.xml, make a backup copy of it before making any changes to it, then open up that file within a text editor (Windows Notepad should do).

Find the line that reads something like;

<mGfxRefreshRate>75</mGfxRefreshRate>

(The number there might be different for you)

Then put in the higher Refresh-rate you want, so it then become like;

<mGfxRefreshRate>120</mGfxRefreshRate>
That worked! Thanks! It could be so easily fixed if they would add the option to let the user select it in the menu. Most of other options in this file can be changed within the menu.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Rhialto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjork View Post
I use 3DVision on a CRT
What's yours? Mine is a LG T910BU that does 120Hz at 1024x768 max resolution. In 2D I'm always use 1600x1200@75Hz.

Nor bad but a bit annoyed with crosstalk... I'm keeping an eye on 27" but yet there is only ACER and I don't like that brand much.

Quote:
You will get the same issue in many games so just do this for all games when using 3Dvision on a CRT.
Thanks for the refreshlock file. I remember using it when I was on XP (without having 3D Vision).

I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure it would work and I doeanloaded it in case I need it later for another application or game.

Quote:
First, you don't have to use 120hz, 100hz looks perfectly fine on a CRT and works with the glasses fine.
I still prefer 120Hz, less flickering.

3 reply even before any kind of answer from support@railsimulator.com, thank you everyone!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
gjork

Banned
I have the exact same CRT as you. Yes, 120hz works but I seem to remember it looking not so perfect at that refresh rate, I seem to remember it caused a a geometry distortion issue. You won't notice flickering at 100hz, I am very sensitive to refresh rates so wouldn't use it otherwise. But it is your choice.

Refreshlock works on Vista/Win7 but the newer refreshforce doesn't and is why I said to use it instead. I remember Nvidia provided an option somehwere to override refresh rates for games (think it is in the test area) but it only sometimes woirked so for games you can't control refresh rate or they only allow as high as 85hz (most) then refreshlock is the way to go.

This issue was caused by Microsoft limiting max refresh rate to 85hz and they probably did it because too many noobs damaged their CRT by setting it too high.

As for ghosting/crosstalk etc. If you go to 3Dvision settings and click advanced you can set keyboard macros to control convergence and a a couple of other settings. Convergence can greatly help with ghosting issues and will allow you to set more depth and then adjust the convergence to compensate for the ghosting. Ghosting is most noticeable on light colored objects, as you probably noticed. If you want to see 3DVision is all its glory get Barman Arkham and Assasins Creed, both those games were designed for 3DVision from the ground up and look realy good in 3Dvision.

Use the extra settings and then save that setting when you are happy with it, it will save it on a per game basis. That is an extra keyboard macro too. It has default macros but in some games they won't work or interfere with the game so best to use your own macros set to something really obscure that games don't also use. In some games the macros just won't work at all. Then the only thing you can do is use the wheel on the back of the IR sensor to reduce the depth.

My experience with 3D glasses on the PC goes back to 2001 when I had Asus 3D glasses for Geforce2. Back then any 2D text or objects looked really bad. In some games you may not get it working correctly and that can sometimes be fixed by just turning off a graphics option like shadows or pixel shaders. 3Dvison is very much a tinkerers toy.

Last edited by gjork: 07-04-2011 at 09:38 PM.
gjork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
Ragnokak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post

3 reply even before any kind of answer from support@railsimulator.com, thank you everyone!
Welcome aboard!
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks