Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Micheal2

Railworks2 Just dosent work

Hi Guys newbie hear. Have purchased the retail Railworks2 - Installed same and run a couple of the tutorials ok.

The following day tried to run the recomended "Highspeed train) with the "Chasing Yellows Scenario" run ok for 5 minuets then froze - put my PC into "Safe Mode" which resuted in a Restart.

My PC then went into Chk disk routine etc and then my pc came back to normal.

Now i can start the program but its just useless waste of time - nothing loads and after a 15 minuets crashes PC.

My PC is as the min requirements stated on the box etc.

I am no pc wizard and all i want is a game that you instal and the the program takes care of itself - its shouldnt be my responsibility to sort out the bugs.

Also i am finding it very hard to locate in Steam through My Games to Verify the integrity of the program - Can anyone help please as i am sure this would be a good simulator if it would just run and be stable.

Any help appreciated Mike

Last edited by Micheal2: 07-04-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Toldrabald

http://railworks.wikia.com/wiki/Repa...ion_with_Steam

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1656222

Also please state your exact PC specs, which route and which scenario you tried and if that problem is with only that one or generally on all routes and scenarios. In your case when you say you have the minimum required system, which graphic settings do you use?
Toldrabald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
roballen55

The Min specs are no way near enough to run this sim,i have said many times they should change this to 2mhz and 2 gig ram,even then this is ONLY the min to run small routes,larger routes with a fair amount of assets need 4gig ram,,i feel sorry for you,looks like you will have to get a better comp or more ram.
roballen55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Class76

If it is Windows XP 32bit it only sees 3 gigs of ram!
Class76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
gjork

Banned
2GB is all most games can see in 32bit OS and that is not enough for WCML scenarios. Even on 64bit OS most games will only see 2GB because they are not 64bit aware. But there is a utility that can set any game exe to use more than 2GB on 64bit OS and I found that by reading the UKtrainsim forum.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

I think Railworks has issues with handling memory and may have a memory leak.

Read this thread on increasing available memory to games.

http://vnboards.ign.com/daoc_general.../111866437/p2/

Last edited by gjork: 07-04-2011 at 09:58 PM.
gjork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Ragnokak

Remember that when the Railworks code was written there weren't any multi-core CPU's and I believe it was built on the Win 95 OS.
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjork View Post
2GB is all most games can see in 32bit OS and that is not enough for WCML scenarios. Even on 64bit OS most games will only see 2GB because they are not 64bit aware. But there is a utility that can set any game exe to use more than 2GB on 64bit OS and I found that by reading the UKtrainsim forum.
The current version of Railworks already has the patch to enable it to use more the 2GB applied.

I had to reduce the texture quality to medium to get the WCML to run without crashes, so it may be the amount of memory on your video card that is important too.
nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Micheal2

Hi Guys - Thanks for all your replys.

Computer Specs
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. Vers 2002 Service Pack 3

Computer AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2.00GHz – 1.0 GB Ram

Nvidia 5700LE Graphics card.

NOTE I am fitting a Nvidia 6200 with 235Mb DDR64 bit and increasing Ram to 2.00GB (Which is all i can get on this pc) in the next day or 2
Monitor – Dell SP2008WFP Flat Panel - Usually set to 1680x1050 but have it set for Railworks at 1024x768

I havent tried all the Routes and scenarios as this would take years at the rate Railworks is performing at the moment - it can 10 minutes to never loading the Padington route. As mentioed above i have managed to play around with the tutorials which do work.

I have noticed that once XP hase loaded i only have 512 Physical memory for using.

When Railworks crashes it produces the following error messages.

"Error: Failed to create index buffer file - DX COMMON CHCVERT TEXMANAGER DX.CPP lINE:832"

FOLLOWED BY 2nd Error Msge

"THE INSTRUCTION AT OXO1739F73 REFERENCED MEMORY AT OX72AD 9698
THE MEMORY COULD NOT BE READ"

Which is all goble-de-gook to me
I am now a bit concerned with some of the above comments that the PC spec on the packaging is missleading and to run Railworks properly they should be way above whats quoted and more than i could achive with this PC. Maybe time to ask for a refund.

Hope all this helps a bit - all your help is much appreciated Mike

Last edited by Micheal2: 07-05-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Toldrabald

That is to 100% related to your 1GB of Ram. Since Windows already occupies half of it, the 500 MB left for RW is simply not enough. Even the empty Oxford-Paddington route without any rolling stock included takes 1 GB of Ram on my PC. And that number will increase when rolling stock is added and you are driving a scenario with lots of different trains. Other routes will take more memory than Ox-Pad, so no wonder that RW will crash on your PC. You could probably drive some rounds on TestTrack though.

Your CPU is ok, I have 3 GHz Dual Core and RW runs on most routes with constant 30-40 fps (RW uses only one core). But on Win7 64 Bit with 4 GB Ram. Not sure about your graphics board, the abbreviation LE does look like it is budget version of some kind.
Toldrabald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Alanch

There is no surprise you are having problems with only 1GB of memory - I suspect all the delays are caused by your system swapping chunks of memory to your hard disk (aka virtual memory) which is much, much slower, and the crashes because your computer cannot keep up with the demand to feed data from the disk to Railworks. If you install another 2GB you should see some improvement.
Alanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Ragnokak

LE = Limited Essentials or as it was known at the time, Low End.

Sadly, you're going to have a very hard time getting RW2 to run. Told is dead on with his assessment.
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
arizonachris

Y'all are flitting around the edge. If Windows wants to run a "dckeck" or "checkdisk" it's a hard drive beginning to fail. Need to get a new hard drive, us the included software to make an image of the original drive (get Acronis True if they don't give you software) Then copy your Windows install to the new drive. Then do a repair of your Windows install.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
gjork

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnokak View Post
Remember that when the Railworks code was written there weren't any multi-core CPU's and I believe it was built on the Win 95 OS.
Win95? Heh...don't think so. Even MS Trainsim (Kujo, same developer of Railworks)was designed for XP. Railworks2 was not released all that long ago but it is based on EA published Railsim so is mostly old code and don't see why it is claimed to be Railwaorks2 when all it really is is Railsim with added content.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
gjork

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post
The current version of Railworks already has the patch to enable it to use more the 2GB applied.

I had to reduce the texture quality to medium to get the WCML to run without crashes, so it may be the amount of memory on your video card that is important too.
You sure about that? They don't have 2 different exe files for 32bit and 64bit OS and that option is only for 64it OS. I thought it seemed smoother after using the utility but perhaps it was the placebo effect at work. But the utility says patching successful so if it was already set in the header why would it say that?

I said it may be video ram issue in another thread but others said it is a system ram issue. I think it is video ram still and I do wan to get a 2GB card but I just invested recently in a second 5870 so it is too soon to upgrade. Next gen ATI will be out soon so will get a 2GB card then.

People say that game Cliffs of Dover is better with a 2GB+ card too and I have that sim. Most games won't show a dif but 1GB>2GB can help some games with loads of scenery and high res textures.

Last edited by gjork: 07-05-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
gjork

Banned
If anyone wants to experiment and has money to burn then get a 2GB+ video card, as much ram is your PC can hold and then create a ramdisk large enough to install Railworks to and also hold the Winddows page file of a fixed size. That would give you the best experience with Railworks2 and much faster data loading than an SSD harddrive. I did that for a bit with another game but didn't want to give up 4GB of ram just for one game so deleted the ramdisk. I had Firefox portable running from the Ramdisk too and it ran very fast.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks