Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 12-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
ocarD

Volunteer Moderator
How to create RES files for Source servers:

From Alfred:

For custom maps that have new resources (such as models or sounds) you need a file in the maps directory called <map name>.res that lists all the custom resources required by that map. It should contain the list of files that a client will download when they get the custom map from the server.

The format of the file is:
-----------------------------------------------
"resources"
{
"blabla.txt" "file"
"sounds/blabla2.txt" "file"
}
--------------------------------------------------
Note the "file" parameter, the .res file consists of key values pairs
and each value parameter must be "file" for map resource files.

This file is needed for both in game downloading and for the http
external downloader.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
Black ZR-1

I've had this working back in CZ and it appears that there were some changes in the Source version. I've got it working on Source now, but my banner doesn't seem to be showing. I've made a seperate directory called gfx with banner.gif as my banner. Did they leave out the banner option in sv_downloadurl for Source?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
*E|M|F*wArgOd

just a clarification:

The res file is "married" to the bsp file. wherever you place the bsp you place the res.

That is, you place the res file with the bsp in the download maps directory AND you place the res file in the game server maps directory.

and you have to restart the srcds instance (server) to get updated res files in use.

Thanks for making this sticky!
Old 12-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
wendestam

"

How to create RES files for Source servers:
From Alfred:

For custom maps that have new resources (such as models or sounds) you need a file in the maps directory called <map name>.res that lists all the custom resources required by that map. It should contain the list of files that a client will download when they get the custom map from the server.

The format of the file is:
-----------------------------------------------
"resources"
{
"blabla.txt" "file"
"sounds/blabla2.txt" "file"
}
--------------------------------------------------
Note the "file" parameter, the .res file consists of key values pairs
and each value parameter must be "file" for map resource files.

This file is needed for both in game downloading and for the http
external downloader.

"

Can you try to explain this a little better, im a noob, and Im not good in english too. please, can someone post an example or something?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
ocarD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally posted by wendestam
can someone post an example or something?
Thanks to nvpscore (link stolen from him)

*url removed - dead link

Last edited by ocarD: 04-20-2006 at 04:25 PM.
ocarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #6
smokenjoe

tered: Feb 2003
Help making .res file work
I have been reading tons on this and been working at it for hours I can't seem to get the textures to download from the server i have downloaded .res files from punkassfraggers and installed the .res file in the maps folder and also in the downloadlist folder but i still am missing the textures. Do i need to add something in the server.cfg file?? Please help we would like to run one of our servers with just custom maps Thanks smokin

this is dedicated server without the gui pentium4 with a gig of ram
Old 12-04-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
ocarD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally posted by smokenjoe
tered: Feb 2003
Help making .res file work
I have been reading tons on this and been working at it for hours I can't seem to get the textures to download from the server i have downloaded .res files from punkassfraggers and installed the .res file in the maps folder and also in the downloadlist folder but i still am missing the textures. Do i need to add something in the server.cfg file?? Please help we would like to run one of our servers with just custom maps Thanks smokin

this is dedicated server without the gui pentium4 with a gig of ram
Nothing is changed in the server.cfg, just create the RES correctly and it will work just fine. See the example from the lnk above.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:11 PM   #8
smokenjoe

i have used the file from above. It says when i go to propertys it is a .res file. Am i putting it in the right places??
I just copyed and pasted into a .res file and changed the name
Old 12-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #9
ocarD

Volunteer Moderator
The RES file neds to be called <your_map_name>.res (where your_map_name is the name of the map) like de_dust.res

The map name and res file name MUST MATCH!

Next add your items in the RES file that are needed for your custom map (as doen in the example above). Save the file and place it in the SAME directory as the map is in ... the MAPS directory. So now you have the map.bsp and the map.res in the same place. (this is obvisously on the server side, not client side)

Now restart the map and the custom content *should* get sent to you.

Oh and make sure you are using textpad or notepad ... NOT WORD.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #10
smokenjoe

So the only place i need to add the .res file is in the map directory?? Thanks
Also when i download a .res file from punkassfraggers i need to change the name from iv_scoutzknivez to iv_scoutzknivez.res thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #11
ocarD

Volunteer Moderator
Yes its only needed in the MAPS directory and they should all end in .res

Old 12-04-2004, 10:12 PM   #12
smokenjoe

"resources"
{
"materials/anoz/anoz_logo.vtf" "file"
"materials/anoz/anoz_logo.vmt" "file"
}
this is what is inside the .res file it is in the maps folder its name is cs_twilight.res the map is cs_twilight.bsp and it still will not download anything I dont need to change anything in the downloadslist ?? i have tryed with the res file names cs_twilight.res and cs_twilight . it tells me its still a .res file like that when i check propertys

also the materials are in the materials folder inside the cstrike not inside the map folder??
Old 12-04-2004, 11:05 PM   #13
SuicideDog

is there an easy way for me to tell what is needed by a bsp?
SuicideDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:00 AM   #14
wendestam

Quote:
Originally posted by smokenjoe
also the materials are in the materials folder inside the cstrike not inside the map folder??

True! =)
Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 AM   #15
Prezident

Well I wasn't about to start making RES files manually, so I bribed my friend to make a new utility to make them automatically.

He has posted the tool at this link:

http://www.srcds.com/forums/showthre...pid=808#pid808

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)