Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 07-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #1
Moe45673

Developers: I just bought a game because of its "crap hardware" requirements

Developers:

Keep doing what you're doing! There are no shortage of great games out there to play from all (okay, most) of you guys.

I want to give a word of headsup. I am a 30 year old fairly typical gamer who enjoys (amongst other genres) single player campaigns with a great story, some MP fps/tps (though most games are crap) and strategy games. I have a fairly beefy PC at home I use to play most games.

However, I do go to school and I bring my laptop there. My laptop is used mainly to surf the net and take notes in MS Office. Specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 (2.1Ghz)
4GB RAM
Windows Vista HP x64
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Integrated GM45 GPU at 128MB RAM
Running at the laptop specific 1366X768 (17" screen)

I do have a USB wireless laptop mouse that I use sometimes, but mainly the trackpad.

As you can see, fairly standard 2 year old off the shelf laptop. It has trouble running Revenge of the Titans, to give you an idea (though it is playable).

What I'd like to state is that graphics do not make a game. Some smaller games (arcade games, to borrow a term from Xbox Live) are fantastic with graphics that are all but AAA in terms of quality. But then there are the games I want to play on my laptop. Games I know I won't play at home due to my backlog but don't have a choice at school. I recently bought Conquest of the New World (1996) at gog.com because I knew I could play it on my laptop. I bought Uplink (2001) for the same reason. Ok, fine, but these are both old games and Uplink wasn't even pushing 2001-era hardware.

Today, I bought Children of the Nile (2008) due to reading about it in various threads. I checked and, golly gee, it'll run great on my laptop! Would not have bought it had that not been the case (already own Tropico 3 on main PC for my citybuilding fix). Also, my schools wifi doesn't allow me to go online with Steam so the games must be playable in offline mode and have good SP.

I want to clarify: I have played these games at home! My PC is sitting there, all ready to run Crysis on ULTRA video settings, and I'm ignoring it to play Conquest of the New World with its charming UI and addictive turn based gameplay. These games are not "I'll settle for them" but really enjoyable that happen to have very low hardware requirements.

The reason I am making this earth-shattering announcement is because there is a market out there for low-intensity games among "real" gamers. Not iPhone portable games (I've played Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja and don't find them entertaining), but real games with story, strategy, tactics, etc that will run on my lappy. These are games that would remain unpurchased by this bag of money if they couldn't run on it. Tilted Mill nailed it with Children of the Nile for this sub-demographic by developing with such low specs..... Otherwise it would have been stuck in the no-mans land of too powerful for the average off-the-shelf PC but (speculating here) probably not pretty enough to compete with other games.

I'd like to add that retro-style games are not what I'm talking about. Jamestown and the aforementioned Revenge of the Titans still require a bit of graphical power (Jamestown with a 256MB GPU and RotT recommends 256).

This is one of those things that marketing departments probably know about but it doesn't hurt to submit feedback once in a while. Sometimes it may not be a bad idea to pull your graphical punches! This is SPUF and if a game is good, it will be bought (even if not immediately after release). Just look at Atom Zombie Smasher, sitting pretty in top-sellers list today!

tl;dr cool story broseph

Last edited by Moe45673: 07-07-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Europhoria

An Earth shattering announcement...lol. I love how people put their age before a pointless spiel like this even though it's completely irrelevant.
Europhoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
Moe45673

*edit* I put my age because I know I'm far more likely to read a long post if the poster isn't 12. If it's not stated, I usually assume the worst. Until I get bluz levels of infamy, I will keep doing so. So yeah, respectfully disagree.

Last edited by Moe45673: 07-07-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Moe45673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
SeanHraefn

Banned
6/10 only because it's just not-obvious enough for some people to fall for it.
SeanHraefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Moe45673

I agree. This isn't some revelation that will turn the game industry on its head. Rather, it's something just below the level of common-sense and rule of thumb that bears repeating once in a blue moon. I can't recall seeing a thread like this before.

Unless you're accusing me of trolling.....? In which case I'd argue that at the very least, my post is a bit of feedback to Tilted Mill on a job well done and therefore has merit.

Last edited by Moe45673: 07-07-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Moe45673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
somini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanHraefn View Post
6/10 only because it's just not-obvious enough for some people to fall for it.
Since I'm the Roger Ebert of troll ratings, 1/4
somini is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic