Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sanctum

Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #31
slimybooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaykoX View Post
No error message at all?

If it'd say "The game is unavailable right now" then that's something we could work with, but no error message makes me think it's just the steam servers still.
That's correct, no error message at all. If it were the steam servers then how would I be able to launch my other games via steam?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #32
RaykoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimybooger View Post
That's correct, no error message at all. If it were the steam servers then how would I be able to launch my other games via steam?
Note: I'm just a normal user like you, I'm not a valve insider or anything. xD

Your assessment of the situation would be correct if steam ran on just one server. But valve has (to have) server-clusters as big as a small town (for steam to work) in some kind of dark basement, so it's still possible that a number of them fu... up while the rest keeps working as intended.

Now as for troubleshooting I'm not sure what happens if sanctum gets blocked by your Anti-virus or firewall, I thought it'd show "The game is not available right now" then. Still I'd double check Firewall and Antivirus, if it's not that or the steam servers then I'm out of ideas for now sadly. :-)

Oh and just to elaborate a bit: It's not enough to just turn your firewall off, the settings still stay for most personal FW's. So please make sure you give Sanctum the necessary rights. Also, I'm interested in what AV you use!

Last edited by RaykoX: 07-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.
RaykoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
slimybooger

Quote:
Note: I'm just a normal user like you, I'm not a valve insider or anything. xD

Your assessment of the situation would be correct if steam ran on just one server. But valve has (to have) server-clusters as big as a small town (for steam to work) in some kind of dark basement, so it's still possible that a number of them fu... up while the rest keeps working as intended.

Now as for troubleshooting I'm not sure what happens if sanctum gets blocked by your Anti-virus or firewall, I thought it'd show "The game is not available right now" then. Still I'd double check Firewall and Antivirus, if it's not that or the steam servers then I'm out of ideas for now sadly. :-)

Oh and just to elaborate a bit: It's not enough to just turn your firewall off, the settings still stay for most personal FW's. So please make sure you give Sanctum the necessary rights. Also, I'm interested in what AV you use!
You are probably right that steam has multiple servers but then the more games I have the more likely that others wouldn't work as well, and the rest all work. I'll try downloading this on a different computer and see if it works.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #34
Anyerism

So ive reverified the cache a few times now, uninstalled and reinstalled the game a few times as well, and still have the same problem. Any help you could provide would be most welcome. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #35
RaykoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyerism View Post
So ive reverified the cache a few times now, uninstalled and reinstalled the game a few times as well, and still have the same problem. Any help you could provide would be most welcome. Thanks!
Like I've hinted at above the most likely cause to me is firewall or antivirus blocking Sanctum and/or Steam.

What AV and FW do you use? disable real-time scanning and exclude sanctum from firewall checks if you want to try around.

As soon as steam can connect to it's servers you should get an error message, imo.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #36
Anyerism

I use macafee as my FW and i have no trouble playing any of my various other steam games. I disabled the fw on my macafee and windows and still have the same thing happen when i try to load the game. I am currently dling it again to see if this will magically fix it.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
RaykoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyerism View Post
I use macafee as my FW and i have no trouble playing any of my various other steam games. I disabled the fw on my macafee and windows and still have the same thing happen when i try to load the game. I am currently dling it again to see if this will magically fix it.
No, no. Just disabling McAffee won't do. The rules still get applied. And McAffee is known to cause problems with some steam games! Beside it's ew. switch. <3

I'm 99% sure your problem with sanctum will disappear if you deinstall McAffee. Try adding Steam and Sanctum to the exclusion list for real-time scanning or for the complete AV if possible...

But really, even AVG free is much better than McAfee so unless you have a really good reason to stick with it...
Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #38
JohannesAspeby

Coffee Stain Studios
RaykoX is a wise man. Listen to him
JohannesAspeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #39
skelter192

Banned
I can't play the game and I have verified my cache. On Windows 7 Ultimate.
skelter192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #40
RaykoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelter192 View Post
I can't play the game and I have verified my cache. On Windows 7 Ultimate.
Please give us more to work with... ;_;

Any error message? Nothing happening at all? When does it stop working? What AV do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannesAsbepy
RaykoX is a wise man. Listen to him
<3
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #41
skelter192

Banned
Quote:
Please give us more to work with... ;_;

Any error message? Nothing happening at all? When does it stop working? What AV do you use?

<3
Just sanctum.exe stop working. Not using a AV on this computer. I have also tried running in compatibility mode for Xp and Vista didn't do anything.
skelter192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #42
JohannesAspeby

Coffee Stain Studios
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelter192 View Post
Just sanctum.exe stop working. Not using a AV on this computer. I have also tried running in compatibility mode for Xp and Vista didn't do anything.
Please check the crash bugs thread. We have a lot of info there what you could try and how you can help us find what's causing it
JohannesAspeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #43
elluSs

I am having this same problem. It launches and installs the first 2 initial files but it seems to fail installing Physx. When I try to manually install physx from the install folder it says the current version is newer and cancels the install. Ive re-installed it 4 times and verified the files to make sure theyve all installed. Could it be a problem with the physx installation thats cuasing the game to be unavailable? I dont have any log folder in my files so Im guessing the engine didnt install fully? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #44
RaykoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by elluSs View Post
I am having this same problem. It launches and installs the first 2 initial files but it seems to fail installing Physx. When I try to manually install physx from the install folder it says the current version is newer and cancels the install. Ive re-installed it 4 times and verified the files to make sure theyve all installed. Could it be a problem with the physx installation thats cuasing the game to be unavailable? I dont have any log folder in my files so Im guessing the engine didnt install fully? Any help would be appreciated.
Please take a look at the "HowTo: Bug Report" thread.

I am honestly not sure what'd happen if you have a newer physX version installed than the one the game is demanding, I don't have the time to check if there's a new version right now, sadly.

I figure it shouldn't cause this kind of issue, but I'm not sure. General response for now:

Make sure you run steam as an admin
Make sure you add steam.exe and sanctum.exe to the exclusion list of your AV of choice.
Make sure your drivers are up to date.

I'll check back later.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #45
elluSs

I've,
-reinstalled gfx drivers
-Added steam.exe and ShippingPC-SanctumGame.exe to the exluded list in AVG
-Verified the integrity of the cache
-Manually installed the Physx driver through the supplied Install folder.

I do not have a log folder in my Sanctum files nor in My Documents so I cannot supply anything from it unless someone can tell me a way I can get one.

Here is my dxdiag if it helps,
http://pastebin.com/xVhb2dXd

Last edited by elluSs: 07-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sanctum