Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Goatman455

Should Valve Prepare for Full Server Loads?

Steam servers are normally very good, however, when there is a sale or when a lot of people are using the server it will bog down big time.

My question to you customers is: Should Steam plan to have enough server load to handle 99.9% of situations? Is it acceptable that the servers bog down during these sales or does this show Valve isn't spending enough money on their servers?

After all, with over 30,000,000 active accounts, and not that many expenses they can certainly afford to do it, but is it necessary in your opinion?

I think the servers are really good, but my personal opinion is they could use a boost, because the time that most customers need them (like summer sales or a new game release) is precisely the time they tend to crap out.

Chime in and let us know what you think, never know, someone from Valve may read your opinion and address your comment or concern.

Last edited by Goatman455: 07-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Lone-Wolf

Banned
They should use a cloud system, if they already are, they should increase its limits.
Lone-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
klaount

Big sales happen 2 times a year. So it wouldn't make sense to optimize their servers for those days.
klaount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
mibuwolf

I think 99.9% of the year I don't have server issues from them. So I think they are generally doing a good job. I don't run steam's finances or business, so I don't think I can tell them what they should/should not do.

It would be very nice to have super smooth servers 100%, but that's not a luxury I don't think Steam can promise. D2D would PROBABLY be in the same shoes if they had Steam's popularity. At least, I think Steam is doing much better than D2D. I guess I could be wrong.
mibuwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
BurtonJ

Valve
We are actually working on an update to our content system. Jmmcaskey has posted about it in several threads. Here is one of his posts that contains a good general overview of what we are working on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccaskey View Post
Running a content distribution network at the scale of Steam is actually quite a large task and some of the options that seem easy to end users are quite complicated in reality. There are a lot of considerations and issues that are non obvious.

However, the good news is that we are actually working on a pretty big update to our content distribution system. The new system will improve download speeds for many locations, make it easier for us to scale up quickly to peak demand, and improve compatibility with various restricted network environments. It's going to take time to roll out across our network and to get to the point where all games are using it, but once that happens the new system will also make it easier for us to build some of the features for improved control and inspection of downloads that user's have been asking for.

So, long story short, we are working on this. We'll be discussing more about the planned improvements to the content system soon.
BurtonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Goatman455

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaount View Post
Big sales happen 2 times a year. So it wouldn't make sense to optimize their servers for those days.

Thanks for the responses btw,

The argument would be, if they did optimize servers for the heaviest loads, then it would ensure they would be great at light loads as well.

By optimizing for lighter loads, you ensure that heavier loads won't be handled well.

It's not like they have tons of other expenses.

They have 40 customer service employees, and probably no more than 200 total employees. They definitely have one of the lowest employee/profit ratios in the world. The question is to us customers, how much is reasonable for profit and how much do you want spent on us? (infrastructure, support, etc.)

Since they aim at digitally distributing I would say just as Gamestop or Best Buy needs more employees, Valve needs to increase their servers just a bit to handle the load.

It's only going to get worse from here out, as more and more people get Steam, and buy more games, though they are no doubt improving it I am sure.

Edit: After I posted, I just noticed they are indeed improving their servers. Thanks BurtonJ for the fast response to this, I can see a definite effort at improving support and response times and that makes me feel good as a customer, thanks again.

Last edited by Goatman455: 07-07-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Goatman455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
mibuwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonJ View Post
We are actually working on an update to our content system. Jmmcaskey has posted about it in several threads. Here is one of his posts that contains a good general overview of what we are working on:
Thanks for the response. I'll direct people to that then. Maybe that will satisfy some users.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
BurtonJ

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibuwolf View Post
Thanks for the response. I'll direct people to that then. Maybe that will satisfy some users.
And if you look through his other recent posts, you'll find some that go into more detail.
BurtonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
mibuwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonJ View Post
And if you look through his other recent posts, you'll find some that go into more detail.
Indeed. I took a look. Hopefully just that one post would be enough to reduce the number of threads I see just like this one.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Goatman455

Yeah, but when you get messages like "Steam Server too Busy to Handle Your Request" I think that's not good. Clogging up their servers with extra posts can be a bad thing, but when the issue is so relevant and important to the core of what Steam is, I think it becomes important to let people get their voices out, and to spread the word.

Knowledge isn't power, but it's the foundation for action and improvement. Silencing those voices naturally hurts the ability to improve things, so I don't really agree with you on that one mibuwolf, but I do respect your ironic right to outwardly silence people, haha.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
vordrax

I think Valve should prepare by having unlimited bandwidth and all kinds of gigabytes and megaflops and they should give me a kitten for every game I purchase with the sproing-ing and the meowing and the WHOA!

*spoken in the voice of Professor Frink*
vordrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Epsilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman455 View Post
Yeah, but when you get messages like "Steam Server too Busy to Handle Your Request" I think that's not good. Clogging up their servers with extra posts can be a bad thing, but when the issue is so relevant and important to the core of what Steam is, I think it becomes important to let people get their voices out, and to spread the word.

Knowledge isn't power, but it's the foundation for action and improvement. Silencing those voices naturally hurts the ability to improve things, so I don't really agree with you on that one mibuwolf, but I do respect your ironic right to outwardly silence people, haha.
How much more spreading the word is really required? You've got acknowledgement there's a problem, and the first steps towards solving it are already rolled out in the beta. At this point, further awareness drives are mostly superfluous.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Goatman455

I was responding to mibuwolf's subtle point that I shouldn't have made this thread. I was just saying I think starting this thread was the right move and can be helpful. I don't understand why there is so much public desire for censorship on internet forums.

If someone is trying to start trouble fine, but if someone is stimulating discussions and ideas then why not let them express their thoughts?

I also find it ironic that it takes an expression of thought to censor someone "Don't say that" for example is a thought expression. So the best way to keep the forums under control is to not post stuff like that, I feel it's a bit ironic to clutter up posts in an attempt to un-clutter them, but I will still support mibuwolf's and anyone elses' right to think the way they choose.

Already just from that simple comment this has gotten blown out of proportion, it's not a big deal, the thread was made and is useful and was answered, so we really shouldn't be having petty arguments about it, but given people's criticisms reflect on me I felt it necessary to defend with some reasoning why I feel it is necessary to allow others to think as they choose and to support any detractors right to disagree.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
AbelPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vordrax View Post
I think Valve should prepare by having unlimited bandwidth and all kinds of gigabytes and megaflops and they should give me a kitten for every game I purchase with the sproing-ing and the meowing and the WHOA!

*spoken in the voice of Professor Frink*
Um...what?

Anyway,im glad someone's made this thread(or whatever its called)cause i was about to do the same thing.
Oh and i really hope that update fixes the overload issue cause ive been waiting to download CS for 5 Hours now and im getting really annoyed
AbelPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
Lagato158

Its like preparing for a Twister in South Texas.
You could go and dig out a cellar for a ton of money, but most of the time you can just throw your bed and comforter into the hallway, then duck and cover.
You'll make it, but it might be rough.
Lagato158 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion