Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sims 3, The

Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
JustAndrew

Gifted Sims 3 to a friend. It won't launch.

CPU : Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz // 2.6 GHz CPU speed // 3.2 GB RAM // MS Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 // Intel GMA 3100 Video card

Those are her PC specs. Definitely not a gaming PC, but I know people who can run Sims 3 on worse hardware than that. Any ideas what could be wrong? Drivers were updated and still nothing.

I should also note that I had her update drivers, .NET Framework, and DirectX. None worked. Tried to launch from Steam, shortcut, and exes in the folder.

The only progress made was this error message when trying from an exe in the folder:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135).

Haven't found many solutions for that when Googling.

Last edited by JustAndrew: 07-07-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
spyrochaete

Try going into the game folder and running the game executable directly, instead of the separate launcher app which is what Steam is trying to do.

...\Steam\Steamapps\common\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Guildy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrochaete View Post
Try going into the game folder and running the game executable directly, instead of the separate launcher app which is what Steam is trying to do.

...\Steam\Steamapps\common\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe
Yeah this doesn't work for me. It starts up the store window, then when I press play an error pops up saying that I don't have acces to this file for I don't have the authority or something.
I might hafta mention the TS3.exe thing is missing from the program files?

I payed 70 bucks and waited a long time for it to install, why can't I start?

Edit: Ehm, ok, I just tried to start it and Steam informed me that the expansions have been installed. Quite weird, for this is the second time it displays this. Game now won't start at all, and just displays that message...

Edit2: Oh, that message was a 3 time thing. Now it doesn't say anything and completely refuses to start.

Last edited by Guildy: 07-08-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Guildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
spyrochaete

Guildy, are you getting the same error message as JustAndrew? My advice was specifically for his issue.

You might have to contact EA support if you're getting a different error.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
ShalimarX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildy View Post
Yeah this doesn't work for me. It starts up the store window, then when I press play an error pops up saying that I don't have acces to this file for I don't have the authority or something.
I might hafta mention the TS3.exe thing is missing from the program files?

I payed 70 bucks and waited a long time for it to install, why can't I start?

Edit: Ehm, ok, I just tried to start it and Steam informed me that the expansions have been installed. Quite weird, for this is the second time it displays this. Game now won't start at all, and just displays that message...

Edit2: Oh, that message was a 3 time thing. Now it doesn't say anything and completely refuses to start.
Generally in the case of a game saying you don't have permission to run it it's an error surrounding user accounts. Try either:

a) logging into your computers administrator account if not already doing such and try loading the game.

or

b) right click the excutible and under properties find the option that allows you to run the application as administrator.
ShalimarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
mleejr

Steam installed it, it just pops up for one second and goes away. Fix this.
mleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
m0j0NL

Same here, played for a couple hours, then went to make something to eat, wanted to continue playing, the launcher shows, but hitting play doesnt do anything.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sims 3, The