Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RIFT

Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
HolisticCookie

Banned
Tera or Rift?

I'm a lineage 2 and wow veteran, looking for a new MMO, still undecided between rift or tera, looking for tera's launch before really deciding, though i'm leaning towards tera.

Any Rift fans out there willing to shed some light on Rift? I've seen quite a few let's play videos and Rift looks pretty fun, just not sure if it's the game for me and pretty torn with Tera coming out soon.

I enjoyed Lineage 2 alot, till i x'fer'd to wow to slay that dual balded guy and arthas, gotta admit that was alotta of fun.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
rad1ance

I purchased RIFT about a week ago. It reminds me of World of Warcraft gameplay with Aion's environment (meaning that it's quite beautiful - graphics and smooth effects). The dungeons are pretty straight forward and the game also offers a random dungeon que (just like WoW has implemented).

I think my favorite thing about RIFT is the fact that you can have around 6 roles (specs), giving you the ability to test everything you've ever wanted. Right now, I'm playing a Ranger/Marksman/Assassin, which is based off of the Rogue class in game.

I can't tell you about endgame yet, as I'm only level 45, but from what I'm hearing, people are in love with raids.. and the rifts are just mad fun.

What I don't like:
-The quests are kind of boring...(but who likes running mindless errands anyway?).
-Instance ques sometimes take a while
-PvP is kind of bland, but nonetheless is still pretty fun
-No arena (that I know of?)

I'll be glad to answer any questions you have! And if you do want to try it out, you can link yourself with my account (if you want) - http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite
rad1ance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Haldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolisticCookie View Post
I'm a lineage 2 and wow veteran, looking for a new MMO, still undecided between rift or tera, looking for tera's launch before really deciding, though i'm leaning towards tera.
I had a whole big thing written here, comparing Rift and Terraria, then had to delete it once I had reread what you wrote and realized that you wrote Tera, not Terraria lol.

So I'll just say that, tbh, I don't know much about Tera. The art style and game style (action rpg) doesn't quite appeal to me but to each his own.

I can say that Rift is a very fun game that I can highly recommend. If you want to find out if its for you, download the free 7-day trial. I've gotten two characters to 50 and am still playing.

The community is probably the best I've seen in any game. Lotro is good, as was CoH while I was playing, but this is better.

The graphics are stunning at times, especially the lighting effects.

The class system is seriously fun and flexible. Regardless of which class you choose, you can pick 3 of 9 different souls (8 plus 1 pvp soul) for (currently) up to 5 different roles, each with a different build. You can switch freely from role to role at any time when you are not involved in combat. Any role that contains a soul that you don't have points in, you can similarly swap out for any other sould at any time. At any time, you can further do a respec at a trainer of any of your roles (for in-game money). This means that you can experiment as much as you want. There's something available for just about any style of play that you can imagine.

And there is dynamic content in the form of Rifts. If you've ever played Tabula Rasa, that should give you some idea about what that means. Think of Tabula Rasa's base invasions/defenses, but on steroids, with entire zones being under assault at times. The terrain actually is altered dynamically from the invasions, rifts, and footholds that can cover a zone. You can sit at a wardstone defending against invasion after invasion, or you can go out and try to rid the zone of the rifts and footholds, and take back the conquered outposts. Groups can be formed dynamically as well (see a group or a raid -- click one button to automatically join it, or to merge your two groups without having to beg an invite).

Get the free 7-day trial, and see for yourself. If you don't like it, there always will be Tera in the future.

Last edited by Haldur: 07-08-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Haldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
davyjoneslocker

Rift is awesome. Period.

Trion is always working to improving the game while adding content. They have added a TON of content since release. They just released 1.3 and they are already talking about content for 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6. THAT is a great sign of a gaming company working hard to please the community of the game.

I love Rift. It is an absolute blast.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
prins_nl

if started playing rift a week back although i already loved the beta and it's a very nice game, but the advice i have is that it wil still take a while before tera online comes out (also very interested in tera, have been checking video's like mad ) and i think when tera comes out i'll have dropt rift (or drop it just because i'm playing tera ^^). and with steam sales going on (or atleast the european steam) i think it's really worth the try, but you could check the trial and i would love to send you one =p (a nice little doggy as pet yahh)
also tera and rift are very differant and havn't played linaege and know tera is from the same people but it plays very differant i think because of tera being an action mmo hope it plays like monster hunter =p but it looks like it doesn't really, a bit.
i'd say check the trial if you like it get it and play it until tera is released and then wonder if you want to get tera or not.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
HolisticCookie

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by prins_nl View Post
if started playing rift a week back although i already loved the beta and it's a very nice game, but the advice i have is that it wil still take a while before tera online comes out (also very interested in tera, have been checking video's like mad ) and i think when tera comes out i'll have dropt rift (or drop it just because i'm playing tera ^^). and with steam sales going on (or atleast the european steam) i think it's really worth the try, but you could check the trial and i would love to send you one =p (a nice little doggy as pet yahh)
also tera and rift are very differant and havn't played linaege and know tera is from the same people but it plays very differant i think because of tera being an action mmo hope it plays like monster hunter =p but it looks like it doesn't really, a bit.
i'd say check the trial if you like it get it and play it until tera is released and then wonder if you want to get tera or not.
yeah i already missed the Steam Sale, and I saw one of my online friends playing it....for daaaaaays...lol I mean everytime I log in I notice him online playing Rift. hmmmmmm must be good in some ways.

I might try the demo, though I'm pretty partial to Tera, since I'm a big fan of Lineage 2 and Tera was supposed to be Lineage 3 till the 7 jokers stole the code and ran off to Sony.

Couple of questions.

1 How is combat? I've been looking for a 'battle' mmo not mashing special abilities like wow. (hence why i've been looking at Tera)
2.How is the community, sans the annoying kiddies you find everywhere?
3.Gold Farmers, is it a plague like Aion's launch or fairly well controlled?

cheers!
HolisticCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Haldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolisticCookie View Post
1 How is combat? I've been looking for a 'battle' mmo not mashing special abilities like wow. (hence why i've been looking at Tera)
2.How is the community, sans the annoying kiddies you find everywhere?
3.Gold Farmers, is it a plague like Aion's launch or fairly well controlled?
1. Combat is smooth, but similar to traditional MMOs. I really never spent much time with WoW, and it was a few years ago when I tried it, but I imagine it's pretty similar. That said, I do put thought into my key presses. It's not any deep thought, but still, it's not totallly mindless key-mashing. I'm not saying you can't just mash keys, just that it's not optimal by any means.

2. I think the community must vary with the server. Faeblight, where I play, is great, and has one of the best communities of any MMOs I've played. On other servers, I'm not sure, but I've mostly heard only good things (with 1 or 2 exceptions). I have had to put 2 people on ignore but that's total, since beta. I don't know about other servers, but the one I'm on is fairly mature. Almost everyone I've met is over 25 or so years of age (a few exceptions, but even those people were pretty mature). I've gotten (and given) help to strangers all the time, even sometimes strangers of the opposite faction. Groups can, and usually do, spawn spontaneously for rifts and quests and so on, without much work at all. Just click the 'join open group' button, or select to merge groups, and you are in. Trion has made grouping on the go easier than just about any game I know of. It really is a great system that other games ought to adopt.

3. Gold sellers certainly exist. The only games where it became a problem for me was WoW and one or two smaller free2play titles (oh and Hellgate Global, because of the awkward mechanism to put people on ignore). In Rift, I tend to have to report about one person a day for gold spamming, which also puts them on ignore. If I didn't go to Meridian, every day, I'd probably never notice them.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Swifta

Here's an example:

I got the game @ the sale 3 days ago now i think...maybe 4. I have not played another game since. It is absolutely addictive but in a good way.

Yesterday while playing I thought to myself, as I was attempting to make my way to a quest location, I'm actually having fun questing... is this possible? lol.

The invasions are absolutely EPIC! My first one was a lvl 15 gator world boss in the "lowbie" zone (10-18). This guy took about 15-20 mins to take down with a full raid going in... I wish I could have gotten it on video because that was the most memorable moment I've ever had in an mmo... here I am going to turn in my quests and this big gater is pounding my quest givers face in... LOL, simply epic!

There is not much else I can say. The game really speaks for itself, it is polished very well, everything works, lots of fun, dynamic content, great community (so far... lol), many other good things about it.

If your computer can handle it the graphics are absolutely gorgeous for an MMO. Look up some youtube vids of Ultra settings.

I've played/tried almost all MMOs... including vanguard (what a disappointment), AION (which was actually pretty fun for a while but was a damn grind fest) and I've only ever enjoyed 3. WoW (lvl 60 cap! lots of fun times) Lotro, and RIFT. Of all my fav thus far is RIFT! Just seems to combine what was great from the others and use it in a great way!

Hope to see you out there soon!
Swifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Haldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifta View Post
Here's an example:
The invasions are absolutely EPIC! My first one was a lvl 15 gator world boss in the "lowbie" zone (10-18). This guy took about 15-20 mins to take down with a full raid going in... I wish I could have gotten it on video because that was the most memorable moment I've ever had in an mmo... here I am going to turn in my quests and this big gater is pounding my quest givers face in... LOL, simply epic!
I agree. The way I described it to a friend was "like Tabula Rasa's base invasions/defenses on steroids". Before I played Rift, the most fun I'd ever had in an MMO was with TR's dynamic base events. TR was a very flawed game, but one thing they did right was their dynamic content. And here comes rift with events spanning an entire (huge) zone. Trion did by no way invent dynamic content, but they certainly took the idea and expanded it way beyond what anyone else has ever done before.

Furthermore, no other game that I know of makes grouping up to handle these events so easy. Just press the 'join open group' button, and you are in -- no need to ask for an invite, no need to shout across the zone asking for groupmates, no need to enter your info into the lfd tool. The impromptu Raids that form, seem to have a mind of their own, with masses of people rushing from rift to wardstone to invasion, trying to keep the event mobs at bay. It's a true adrenaline rush. Plus, it can be very rewarding to participate in them, at ANY level.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RIFT