Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
BeardHammerMaps

Importing Custom Sounds

Hey everyone, I've got a rookie question.

I'm trying to use some custom recorded .wavs in my HL2: EP2 .vfm, but I can't seem to find the correct directory to place the files. This directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\half-life 2\hl2\sound

doesn't seem to be correct. I've tried copying the .wavs there but they don't show up in the hammer sound browser. Anyone got advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

(P.S. When I open Hammer I use the Engine Version: Source Engine 2009 and Current Game: Half Life 2 Episode 2.)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
taz-ed

put the sounds in the hl2ep2 game folder ep2/sounds
taz-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
BeardHammerMaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz-ed View Post
put the sounds in the hl2ep2 game folder ep2/sounds
Thanks, but there's no such folder.
BeardHammerMaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
taz-ed

you can just create it
Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
BeardHammerMaps

This didn't work. Do the .wavs have to possess certain qualities? The test file I'm trying is only 25 seconds long. I even cut it to 5 seconds to try it and hammer still wouldn't detect it. What am I missing here?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
taz-ed

try typing the name of the wav file in instead of searching for it is the wav files saved at 44100mhz ?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
CrAzYpotpie

Listen to Taz-ed, it needs to be 44100Mhz. Every newcomer to source always looks past this. If you use MP3's, it can be any quality. (Pretty Sure) (also, Hammer can't preview MP3 files, but they will work in game)

What I do for custom sounds is make a folder inside the sound folder called "Me". Then when I open the sound browser in Hammer, it will say "Filter Sounds" near the bottom, I type in "Me\", and Voila! It will only show my sounds.

Good luck!
CrAzYpotpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
BeardHammerMaps

The wav file was saved at 44100mhz, yep. I tried the advice of just manually entering the name of the file inside the ambient_generic entity, still no luck. During the test it said "<filename> no such sound" or whatever.

Thanks for the help so far, guys. I'm sure the solution is close but I'm totally stumped. I'll mess around with a few more things. Anything else I should try?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
CrAzYpotpie

You are sure you put it in this directory?

D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\sound

If you did all that and are opening the Hammer editor that is for HL2 EP2, then it will show up.

I dunno how it isn't working for you... The sounds will show up no matter what bit rate they are, so if they aren't showing up at all in the sound browser then you gotta fix that problem first.

if your Hammer has been open this whole time then click refresh sounds if needed.

Other than that, let us know your progress.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
BeardHammerMaps

Got it! I feel really dumb about this, but turns out I had created a folder called sounds when it was just supposed to be sound (no 's' at the end.) Now I can browse my custom sounds in hammer and have them play in Source. I guess the next step is to figure out how to add them into the BSP so other players can here the sounds, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks for your patience and help, fellas! You have no idea how drastically my day just got better.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
CrAzYpotpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardHammerMaps View Post
Got it! I feel really dumb about this, but turns out I had created a folder called sounds when it was just supposed to be sound (no 's' at the end.)

Funny thing is, I thought that might've been the issue, so I put in that directory example after I read that Taz-ed wrote "sounds". Harmless mistake, glad you solved it.

And for packing textures, sounds, and models into maps, just search up PackBSP (or take this link for later)
http://technofovea.com/blog/projects/packbsp

Have a good day!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion