Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
graspee

Steam is not letting me buy anything!

Hi- for a few hours now I've been unable to buy anything. I'm on the Review and purchase screen where I have selected paypal, and my address and country etc. is on the screen. I press continue, the button changing to working for a few seconds, then either the page just scrolls down a bit and doesn't change to the next one, or (typically if I change payment method to some other one then change back, then try to continue with paypal selected) I get an orange bordered message saying there was an error with my transaction contact Steam support. Which I haven't yet, wondering if it's happening for anyone else too.

Any ideas?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
graspee

Hmm I found this other thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1694123

which seems to think I should delete everything except for steam.exe and steamapps directory then restart steam. Kind of scary.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
seph22

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by graspee View Post
Hmm I found this other thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1694123

which seems to think I should delete everything except for steam.exe and steamapps directory then restart steam. Kind of scary.
Backup your steamapp folder to another HD, when i bought new HD i didn't want to redownload 600GB so i basically did download steam to my new PC, moved my steamapp folder to the new pc and that was it, everything else worked as it used to be, as long as you have a backup of the steamapp folder and everything in it you wont need to redownload your games

Your issue is very common for people who try to buy from their browsers, make sure you buy from the steam program and not your firefox/etc browser
seph22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
graspee

I have always bought from the steam app itself, which has an internal browser, probably an embedded instance of explorer or something.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Nekomancer

It was an embedded instance of Internet Explorer, but they changed the engine when they introduced the new interface last year. Now it uses Chromium.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
graspee

Well I deleted everything except steam.exe and steamapps folder and reran it. It thought I was logging in from a new pc and made me do the steamguard email thing. I hope this doesn't cause any problems with any games that might have securerom with limited activations ><.

Anyway, did all that, got back in, re-added everything to my basket, tried to pay.... nope. same problem.

I'm getting really worried that I won't be able to buy the stuff in my basket before the sale ends now, because I have to sleep at some point!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Rrido

That sounds like the same problem I had. I contacted Steam and they said that it was due to my IP adress being different than what is on file. (I am on vacation so that is correct.) If your IP adress is different you should contact them and they should let you use that IP adress and send you a link you can use that should let you buy games anywhere. Thats what I got at least.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
graspee

I have a dynamic ip address anyway from the block of addresses my isp gives out, I doubt they would stop me from buying things for that reason.

I have got further by trying to pay directly by card instead of through paypal. One card gives an error then I get an email saying it was declined (it has funds but could perhaps have a stop on it if they think all the small payments are suspicious), the other card gives an error with no declined email and I know for sure the card is good in all respects.

I really don't think I'll get this resolved before the sale ends now. It's really getting me angry.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Rrido

I got an error saying the card was diclined once. I reentered the card info and it worked. If you do contact them then I should warn you that it took over 24 hours before I got a reply. So you may not get a responce before the sale ends.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
graspee

I know I won't get a reply from them before the sale ends. It's not the card, I have tried two of them multiple times, typing and checking carefully, it's as if they have put a stop on my whole account from buying things. I even tried logging into a different steam account (that I made ages ago when I locked myself out of my main one) and tried to buy the games and gift them to the other account but I got the same error.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
fyiiamaheavy

Banned
it could be steam isnt accpacting your credit card and you wont beable to get it
fyiiamaheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
graspee

Angry

I've tried multiple cards I know are good and it's telling me they're declined. It is as if they put a hold on my steam account like "do not let this dude buy anything". Why, I have no idea. And my blood pressure is going off the scale.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
paigeoliver

Happened to me once too. Just contact support, it will get cleared right up.
paigeoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
graspee

I've already contacted support. They're not going to get back to me before the sale ends though, are they? Then I won't want to buy any of the games because they will all be expensive again...
Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
graspee

Support haven't got back to me yet.

It's still locked but I managed to buy the games I wanted by creating new steam accounts with new email addresses after resetting my router to get different dynamic ips from my isp and using different web browsers to log onto steam store. I only bought one game using paypal with the first new steam account (and gifting to myself via email) then it seemed that account was "poisoned" as it wouldn't let me buy more games, so I created another new steam account after getting a new ip with a new browser and this time i couldn't even use paypal from the get go, so I thought my address details had been "poisoned" now too, but it did let me buy them using a card directly in steam itself.

It's pretty ridiculous though, that I had to leap around with all this subterfuge, feeling like Jason Bourne: "He tried to keep one step ahead of STEAM so he could accomplish his deadly mission... of giving them money".

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion